Getting Away With Murder review by Papa Roach

• Released: Aug 30, 2004
Papa Roach: Getting Away With Murder

I like Papa Roach. I bought their first album "Infest" on holiday from a grizzly looking CD shop which turned out to be a goldmine for rockers. The first album was great and new I had to get more of this stuff. So I did, I liked the song "Getting Away With Murder" so I thought that was a good one to get next. And I managed to strike gold with this one. The sound of the band is a lot more mainstream than the origninal stuff. A lot more singing, no rapping at all. The songs a lot more tuneful and the screaming plenteous for any angst filled teenagers. The music seems not to take very long to get into, but after a while you start to have a craving for it again. For example after about 5 or so listens I thought I had it pretty well sussed, but when I saw Papa Roach live on Kerrang I remebered just how cool and catchy some of the songs were and now I have grown to like the sound more than ever.

The lyrics are a lot more varied than the predecessing albums. The origninal dealt with the feelings of urges to commit suicide and drinking problems. The second and very impressive "Lovehatetragedy" album dealt mostly with failing relationships (doesn't rock just make us feel good inside) but now it is quite a lot more than drink, death and relationships, it is about feelings of guilt and apologies for you not being there as much as you should have, which for all those teenagers who use rock as a vehicle for getting rid of such feelings this is for you. The lyrics also fit beautifully with the rhythm of the songs and the singing tunes are very addictive.

Does it compare with other albums? I do think so, on my rock scene especially the job of pop new metal has been taken up a lot of times by such artists as Linkin Park and Alien Ant Farm, but Papa Roach does definitley excells or at least compares to other artists of it's genre. What are the most impressive songs on the album? There are a lot: "Not Listening," "Take Me," "Getting Away With Murder," "Be Free," "Scars," "Done With You." If I'm not careful I could list every song so I will be careful. I love this album because it is powerful and poetic, I don't hate anything about it, just maybe that it doesn't have that edge the other albums had. If someone stole it I would get it back definitley. It is important to me and is in the top 5 of my music collection. And all you rockers, it ain't a bad collection.