Infest review by Papa Roach

• Released: Jan 1, 2000
Papa Roach: Infest

The style used here is very hardcore, nu-metal, angsty. Before you write them off as another typical, generic nu-metal band, think again. I'm not a fan of nu-metal but I actually had this CD a few years and I dug it up and listened to it again. They were a great inspiration to me in the past. And I could see why. Guitar-wise, even in the absence of solos, Jerry Horton does display his riffing powress though it is only moderately difficult technically, he's a good writer where riffs are concerned and his riffs do complement the song without it sounding like another typical nu-metal "four powerhords below the fifth fret" riff. The whole album is HEAVY! and may scare the more timid listener. It is definitely more hardcore than most nu-metal records back then and now.

The lyrics was what insipired me the most. Why I was attracted to roach was because primarily because of Jacoby Shaddix the lead vocalist. The lyrics are very political. But it is kinda abstract unlike Rage Against The Machine. And it does reflect on moral issues in songs like "Snakes" and "Blood Brothers" even touching on spousal abuse in "Revenge". The lyrics of "between angels and insects" rhyme well and fit the song but still brings forth a strong message. I have heard better singers technically but what strikes me about him is his sheer conviction in his voice in what the lyrics are talking about. I'll definitely give it a 5.

Actually I did not compare it with other artists and I just bought it on the spot. This CD actually taught me one thing "if it sucks at the first listen, listen harder to appreciate it instead of ditching it. I love the CD primarily because of its lyrics, and it has really inspired me as a person and a musician. Even though I listen to other stuff (Opeth, Led Zep, Pantera etc.) I still pop this CD in to get adrenaline-on-the-go. If it were stolen i would get a new one. Yes, it is definitely worth buying. Given, Lovehatetragedy was a failure in my opinion because the lyrics did not carry the moral conviction such as this album and Jerry Horton's riff-writing ability was pretty much suppressed. But even Papa Roach admitted that Lovehatetragedy was a failure so be prepared for the next album where the vibe would be very much like this one...