Metamorphosis review by Papa Roach

• Released: Mar 20, 2009
Papa Roach: Metamorphosis

Papa Roach's fifth studio album, Metamorphosis out on DGC/Interscope Records shows the band to be in excellent shape. The flames ignited by Jerry Horton's guitar shreds recall of Mudvayne, and the way Jacoby Shaddix's vocals wrestle with them takes brute strength worthy of Three Days Grace's lead vocalist Adam Gontier. The rhythm section of bass guitarist Tobin Esperance and drummer Tony Palermo invest their energies in creating vigorous torrents that lift these songs right off the ground. This is stuff that Top 40 radio stations are missing out on, and stuff that makes a perfect accelerant for audiences engines. Some bands make music that is pleasing to listen to, but Papa Roach's album does more than that by putting fuel in your tank. When musicians say that music is like food for them, audiences can relate to that because Metamorphosis is like sustenance for them. The music nourishes those parts in you that nothing else can reach, and lubricates those passions that have become rusted. Songs like Live This Down and Nights Of Love have a bite that arouses a fighting spirit, and tracks like Bad Enough and Lifeline reinforce faith in love and charity. The music is sprawled in whipping guitar conflagrations and vocals that can cut through the volcanic eruptions like a dagger. I didn't find a single misstep on Metamorphosis, every track will spark passion in your sensory system with equal gusto and leave you entirely satisfied.

The lyrics aim it's arrows for the jugular like in Live This Down when Shaddix's vocals char fast and furiously, How could you deceive me / I'm begging you to leave me Go to Hell / I'm better off without you / All is well / I'd rather be alone Cause you sold me out / You're never gonna live this down. You really don't want to be on the receiving end of some of these lyrics like in Hollywood Whore with a volley of sharp quips like Plastic smile to match your style, Awake by noon / Drunk by four, or White trash queen, American Dream. The lyrics are not all so nail-scratching and cleaver-digging as the album comes to the song Lifeline where a sliver of light peeks through the despair and anger, I put out my hand and asked for some help I've been looking for a lifeline / While it seems like a lifetime / I'm drowning in the pain / Breaking down again / Looking for a lifeline Is there anybody out there In a world so cold, it's hard to keep the faith. The bridge in Bad Enough also puts a shot of optimism into the album's hard rock bowers when Shaddix implores, I know you can change the future / I know we can make it happen.

Surprisingly, Papa Roach have not lost their nu-metal edge or their instincts for finding fertile ground to tap into arousing power rock tunage. After five albums, they are as hard and fiercely rabid as when they first started out. Metamorphosis is a testament to Papa Roach's affinity for heavy metal's meaty cuts and power rock's sawing shears. The production is big and the hooks are sharp, delivering an album that feeds hot-molten passions which would otherwise be rusted away. There is enough melodic substance to appeal to a global audience, and enough scorching guitar shreds to earn Papa Roach respect in the metal community. Co-produced by Jay Baumgardener (311, Evanescence, Incubus) and Papa Roach, and five tracks co-produced by James Michael (Motley Crue, SixxA.M.), the album's make-up sounds like Papa Roach have put everything they got into these songs, ramming at full-throttle and holding back nothing.

mlukeroberts222
    Picked up the cd and I must say it's pretty good. The songs will be great live. The review didn't even mention number-nine on the new album, "Into The Light." Mick Mars contributes and the song is the best on the album in my opinion. Great, great song.
    x Misanthropy x
    wow this album was terrible, only 2 tracks i enjoy are hollywood ***** and i almost told you...Even paramour sessions was alot better, but this album just has alot of weak material.
    TaV0
    I used to like this band, but after lovehatetragedy all their work was just not as good. Also their looks kept on going worse and worse! now they look like alice cooper's wannabes.
    sav46e
    after another listen through it has 2 really good songs, lifeline and march out of the darkness. rest didnt do much for me.
    kranoscorp
    IRFLAMZEZ
    Diggin this album, loved infest back in the day when i was younger and now they got a new sound only grown with age
    Aziraphale
    kranoscorp wrote: Lifeline is a good song, but the riff in it is such a ripoff of Keane's Everybody's Changing it is ridiculous. Don't believe me? Listen to them yourself.
    htt p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQQpWmKoB4g
    Yeah, I noticed the same thing.
    silent caution
    sum4d1
    SSDaniel105
    silent caution wrote: i really dont hear it, what part are you talking bout so i can listen more carefullly
    Listen to the intro.
    CDubDSP
    This album was extremely disappointing for me. Paramour Sessions was a huge let down, and after hearing the name of this album "Metamorphasis" I was hoping the band's sound had undergone some of that since the Sessions album. Unfortunately, to me it sounds like alot of the same "formulaic" approach to song writing. Jacoby still offers a strong vocal performance on Meta, but the rest of the music is very unoriginal. I felt like I'd already heard all of the songs the very first time I listened to the album. I consider Getting Away With Murder by far their best work. They definantly peaked with that album. Infest and lovehatetragedy were both great albums as well, but these latest two CD's have been very sub-par for these guys. I'm losing hope in them as a band.
    kyle33093
    whitesummer527 wrote: How did this and Crack The Skye get the same score?
    yeah idk mastadon sucks and papa roach is awesome, thats weird
    lethaldosage45
    LOVEHATETRADEGY was their best effort. And it was the one that sold the least. That is because the pop market didnt like it, and that was why it was GOOD. Each song had an individual sound and feel. AND IT WAS LOUD! his one is just generic to me, it doesnt have their SOUND! I don't think they are my cup of tea anymore.
    sav46e
    they are a really good live band too. coby gives it everything in every show. have the album but havent listened to it too much. pretty well written songs though
    Ghrim
    kyle33093 : whitesummer527 wrote: How did this and Crack The Skye get the same score? yeah idk mastadon sucks and papa roach is awesome, thats weird
    hahahahaha...hahaha..ha. ha. thats funny.
    KevinGuitarGod
    Papa Roach used to live in the town that I do! Vacaville Ca! And thier old house is right down the road from me!
    Paro_metalhead
    id have to agree with everyone sayin this is a weak album, not many stand-outs and they have to hire Mick Mars just to play a guitar solo on Into The Light...expected a lot more from this band
    3blackpicks
    sum4d1 wrote: 2nd best album to getting away with murder but, still one hell of an album! i almost told you, live this down, change or die are the best
    wow, what? interpretter please? terrible grammar aside, how can this be the second best album since "getting away with murder" while the last three are number 1? even if you group the three "best" into one First Place category, that still leaves metamorphosis as the 3rd best. i want you to die.
    3blackpicks
    ^that may have been harsh. i still want you to die. call it "being at work at 4 in the morning" syndrome...
    3blackpicks
    yes, i hate me too for posting again, but i just reread part of the review. "Papa Roach have all markings and makings of a career band." well, considering that they have been a band for sixteen years, yeah, i'd fcking call them a career band, moron. And i don't think many people would call being put in the same light as a cockroach terribly flattering. i AM a bundle of bitching...
    decayingdave
    I had no idea that they were still going. People were saying that they are a faded nu-metal band, I think that would only apply to these guys 'cus they kept their old nu-metal name. If they'd have changed it, I think that anti nu-metal biast wouldn't be there. Hell, if slipknot were to change their band name (and have corey executed) then they could escape the same biast, too. Like most nu-metal bands... I don't like them, but they've kept at it for this long so they can't be all that bad.
    mibe
    i just found that out that there's a line in "no more secrets" from "the paramour sessions" that goes like i live the days of war, i live the nights of love and then the keane "ripoff". of course papa roach is weak considering music theory, but such "coincidences" just makes me laugh. it's like when rise against stole their own riffs on "appeal to reason"... papa roach still rock! not more, not less.
    guitarist41
    Darkhunter292 wrote: they sold out
    What band hasn't? Any band that makes a video are selling-out...because now they're selling an image.
    WARLOCK123
    this is a good album. the only real changes are the vocals and the song writing seems mature compared to the others albums. I think getting away with murder is the best album but all of them are good. I think getting away with murder is sorta the middle ground between all their albums as it doesn't really alienate fans of infest and lovehatetragedy and it is still good for fans of the last 2 albums
    Ample
    I hated Paramour Sessions To Be Loved and What Do You Do were the only good one's on there. Infest, LovehateTragedy, Getting Away With Murder, were all better than these last 2, even though Lifeline is really good.
    Bring_Met_2_Mcr
    htt p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQQpWmKoB4g
    Just because a song's chord progression is similar, or even the same for that matter, doesn't mean it is a rip-off. Please people, for that love of all that is music, let's not have another Coldplay/Satriani bitch session! God damn
    fartsyjoe420
    i've had a love/hate relationship with this band. i loved infest, hated both lovehatetragedy and getting away with murder, thoroughly enjoyed the paramour sessions even in it's simplicity. maybe it was the lyrical content on that album that made it acceptable, but this album (metamorphisis) was one of the most boring albums i've heard in a long time. just nothin fancy about it at all.
    banki
    It is a very bad album :S I love Papa Roach but they don't have any new idea... getting away with murder was the best album!
    Lohnanmilitia
    Yeah, I don't really disagree with what you said. Although I think the paramour sessions was a stronger album, I do enjoy the new one. Papa roach is quite enjoyable to listen to. I'm glad that they're still around, and with their talent, they still have a lot in them.
    Cole419
    Papa Roach didn't evolve or progress much with this album... It's worth a listen but... it didn't make an impact like the Paramour Sessions... Nothing new, I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.
    drewkilljoy
    kyle33093 wrote: whitesummer527 wrote: How did this and Crack The Skye get the same score? yeah idk mastadon sucks and papa roach is awesome, thats weird
    Not so much.....I think that might be the other way around, but it's all opinions.