The Paramour Sessions review by Papa Roach

• Released: Sep 11, 2006
Papa Roach: The Paramour Sessions

The sound of the CD is exactly what I was hoping for and more! The music is in your face, throw your fist in the air and scream along with it. Jerry Horton's guitar work has grown leaps and bounds and he even throws a few solos in here and there like in "Alive". As expected Tobin and Dave do a great job of laying a solid base down for the songs. they even go as far as to use an orchestra on the song "Roses On My Grave". It almost seems as if the band has discovered Iron Maiden and classic metal. They are locking into a grove from the beginning of the song and don't let it go. Gone are the heavy palm muted 3 chord songs, instead the music is layered with little riffs all over, just layers of guitar. I just hope they can pull it off with 1 guitarist live!

As with any Papa Roach CD Jacoby's lyrics are about anger, relationships and breaking up. Not much has changed with this CD, however on most of the songs he has gone back to the "rap/singing" he did on infest. Bassically this is a CD to throw on if you're having a bad day or feel like your relationship is going to crap and you will definatly relate to these songs!

All in all I would rate this as a tie with infest as their best album. I could not have asked for anything more on this album, they have shown the world exactly how a band should grow between CDs. The best songs on the CD are the 1st single "to be loved" and "The World Around You" and "Roses On My Grave" with an orchestra backing them, is something I would never expect from them, but it works somehow. if I were to lose this album I would definatly buy another one, hell, I might get a 2nd one to keep in my car anyway!

12-string
    ermmmm.....do these reviews not contradict eachother? Oh well, its just peoples opinions I guess, im not gonna buy the album anyway.
    BARTRON 1
    Haven't heard the new album yet, but will give it a fair go when it comes out here,(AUS)! Honest opinion, I think Infest is just so kick-ass, balls out that straight up you can groove with it! LHT was a little more involving, needed a few more listens as it doesn't grab you straight away, but definitely not without its charms! GAWM rocked nicely, some songs jumped out, some didn't, but they kept progressing. I think I can see the direction of the new LP, & I must say it doesn't bother me at all. It may be a little "commercial" 4 some tastes, but it's still Papa Roach!
    NiCKLESS
    Glad i downloaded a few songs to see if its anything worth, needless to say, i turned it off after hearing 1 minute into "...To Be Loved".
    metal4life66613
    rap metal was lame i hated the whole trend of rap metal crap. they dont suck they can play but just not what i want to hear
    hebtheeagle
    I enjoy the CD. Coby's lyrics are traditionally strong, and with the rapcore elements more or less gone, it makes for an easier listen for myself. (I refuse to listen to rap) "My Heart is a Fist" is the best song, easily. Second to be would be "Crash" or "What Do You Do?"
    scarfacesuit
    i'll check out the album, but it sound risky to buy it, because one guy here is saying it's the best thing ever, while the other one said it was bland and unworthy of 15 bucks...
    sardonicgoat
    ok i will admit PR wasn't the most amazing band ever. they were never that original or talented, but for the 11(i think) songs on infest and a good portion of LHT they were amazing. Now let's be real everyone PR is not in anyway the best ANYTHING in music so all you fanboys defending this record STOP!!!! It's absolute crap. I mean i can applaud them for changing their music to fit what's really going on in their life instead recycling the same angst ridden music over and over, but they just aren't good at any other type of music. It's sad because these guys use to be one of my favorite bands but when you get the same people who think NICKLEBACK is real rock music saying "hey did you hear that new papa roach song? It's awesome!", something is terribly wrong. RIP Papa Roach.
    kate_marie
    EatTheRichh
    Nickleback is real rock in my books...PR should keep on rocking , the cd has some good tracks. and im glad they are not rapping anymore, and im glad they are not making the Infest continues album.
    69.so.fine
    Diablo1986 wrote: LMFAO Papa Roach sold out and went for this scene shit, **** that man There are those magic two words again: "Sold out." Just because the "die hard" rock fans don't like a specific form of rock they'll label it "selling out to the masses." Nevermind that they want to take themselves in new directions with new sounds... they should mold their music into the "real fan's" idea of art... but wait a minute... if they did everything like Infest and did everything the way everyone wants it... wouldn't that be selling out? "Sold out" is a phrase that needs to be retired. People jump to it all to often when a band doesn't suit their tastes. So what if they sound different? At least it isn't the same bullshit album after album.
    Papa Roach used to rock, now they cut End of story
    M@riano31
    kate_marie wrote: PR has said over and over again that they are a band that changes constantly. So this new cd should not shock you in its different sound. PR fans need look deeper in to this album to get the full picture. I personally am learning to love this album. I will admit that the first time I listened to it, I was a little worried myself. But after listening to it over and over, I am finally past the worried point and now I am getting use to the new sounds and maybe even starting to fall in love with it like I did with GAWM. So this album might take some time to get use to but I think it is defiantly worth it.
    Yeah the same happened to me, it took me 2 or 3 times listening each song to really like them, i don't think that you all should "throw" the songs/cd after listening them at least a few times. I think it's a pretty good album (not better than Infest) you will see some orchestra (like S&M of Metallica) in the last song, and a piano in "My Heart Is A Fist" also the voice of Shaddix has grown a lot and the guitar riffs are really good in some songs. My favourites: "I Devise My Own Demise", "Reckless" and "The Fire"
    Guitar_Poet
    PR may be "constantly changing," but lets see if their next cd is different as well. 95% chance itll sound simple and mainstream from now on.
    condarkis
    ill niño
    they will never make a better record than infest, but i still think the new one is pretty good.
    Miss.Murder
    To Be Honest With All of yew people who Disagree, Their's Nothing wrong with a little of change in this Album..The Paramour Sessions,, and the song( To Be Loved ) sounded gud and it was pretty kewl to hear different beats for a change, plus the quitar intro thing also rocked.. it made it stand out more..so i definatly think this Album will have a pretty Good start..and to all the people who Disagre...ummm Well w.e dunt listen to Papa Roach then =D..Their will be better albums but so far this album is owkay... I'm Outta Here.. LaTerZz..
    Sick_of_you
    Guitar_Poet
    condarkis wrote: PR lick the sack anyways you're all going on about how "infest is the shit bro" but, infest is just shit. And you that say it's better then the stuff comming out to day, ever herd of "iron maiden" if you havn't notcied there still alive and shredding. All these new punk emo rapping shit bands.
    iron maiden may have inspired some good artists, but they themselves (in my opinion) pretty much suck ass.
    blinnk16
    Sick_of_you wrote: I love this album, they needed this change, and does anyone else agree that 'Reckless' sounds so much like Aerosmith's 'Crazy'? but anyway this album is amazing, some songs fail to provide but i think they are looking towards the more mature listeners this time around...as some tracks sound very 80's influenced.
    Yeah I can see traces of "crazy" in "reckless", but they aren't like over-the-top similar.
    pfricky98
    iron maiden might be good a shredding and be more technically talented then papa roach, but writing good songs isn't all about shredding and showing off your skills. i would rather listen to a bad that can barely play there instruments than a band that just shreds for 12 songs on a record. i'm not that impressed by that bullshit. i don't really care if you hate papa roach, but you shouldn't talk shit about them. you are probably some loser metal head that has no clue what music is all about.
    faqu
    *sigh* stop with the flaming! trust me, it dosent do you any good. Checked.
    Guitar_Poet
    rockerc wrote: they worked hard and have a solid fan base and don't really care what the hell people other than fans think.
    obviously they dont care what fans think either. most people loved infest, but PR doesnt care and went the worst way they could go. instead of stopping (which they should have after infest, come to think of it)... they went mainsteam-bullshit-bitch- "rock." so sad...
    Rockwillnevrdie
    well if what the review says is true then that sucks, sure its good for bands to try new things and be creative, but the old papa roach is the sh*t - Rock On!
    DragonBladeV
    i like how everyone compares this album to infest and not all the other albums out there by other bands. it may not be infest but its better than most of the sh!t thats comeing out nowadays!
    Timoros
    Reviews never help (especially when they don't match). If you don't hear it, you can't say anything. I'll download it (thank god torrents exist) and I'll see how good or crap is it
    Styx
    Well the review have one point that it true, theyre lyrics are very crapy in this album, but theyre playing is really good as always.It seems to me like aforced album to make money if they would have put their lyrics as in Getting Away With Murder it will rock!
    Decembero
    I saw the video for their new song. I almost threw up in disgust. WTF HAPPENED TO PAPA ROACH?!?!?!?!!! R.I.P. Infest! Never again will Papa Roach create a better record.
    zelvakpepa
    Hey guys where is the old Papa Roach??? This album sounds like kind of radio pop...! Infest times are gone
    Jau_Peacecraft
    infest was millions of miles better than this bullshit. Just because it's rapcore dosen't mean it automatically sucks; then again noadays, I could eaisly say anything by papa roach automatically sucks
    smythal
    Papa Roach are just not my kind of band full stop. I used to like Last Resort but thats about it. I couldnt care what this new album sounds like tbh.
    johnrob2
    Papa Roach was always pretty godd*** corny in my book anyway but infest was good. I didn't buy their last sh!t and I probably won't but this sh!t either.
    unknownalone
    I couldnt care what this new album sounds like tbh.
    yet you read the review? hmm..interesting. i think they change their sound every ablum, so i'll probably just download some songs before thinking of buying. reviews were contradictive of each other, darnit
    korbhag
    Guitar_Poet
    papa roach has not (and never will) make a good CD since Infest. maybe a few songs were catchy, but they werent good. i still listen to Infest, but everything else sucks. too bad =(
    blinnk16
    Guess I'm the only one who hated the rapping? I Liked a few songs from infest, but I liked lovehatetragedy and getting away with murder much better overall.
    Morphix666
    Locomo
    The single "Too be loved" is one of the worst songs ive ever heard! After that who give a fuk what the rest sounds like?! For shame anyone buying this record!
    rockerc
    korbhag wrote: Doesn't anyone else realize that the chorus riff from "To Be Loved" is the same as the one in "Getting Away With Murder"??? That band reaaaally need to take a break and get some NEW inspiration.
    no it's not the same riff at all. Getting Away With Murder is in drop C tuning. To Be Loved is drop D and different chords. People who have never been a success at all shouldn't put other artists down. they worked hard and have a solid fan base and don't really care what the hell people other than fans think. papa roach kicks ass harder than most bands now days. this record really is good. people who put down artists suck because they feel that they have to put down other artists to make themselves feel better, so they suck at music because they have to put artists down to feel confident.
    screamsoftly
    Morphix666 : I bought it and I like it. I think it would be boring to have 4 PR CDs and all sound like Infest.
    Yeah, and it's pretty lame to have one great CD and three mediocre ones.
    DStobbs
    They dont half milk out the chorus on that new one. Both themselves and Eighteen Visions could frankly be the same band - identical looking singers and both have had once legendery status gone wrong as their careers have continued. Shame.
    Diablo1986
    LMFAO Papa Roach sold out and went for this scene shit, **** that man
    Canadian_Bacon
    WTF IS THE GUY REVIEWING? i thought the cd is ****in excellent. I hat ethese guys who just one sided judgmental idiots. WHat's wrong with the cd? SO WHAT? they're not goin back to they rapcore, they want to expand and I thought this cd is plenty full of catchy hooks.. Maybe not like last reasort but however this cd is full of wicked songs and a lot of good riffs. So whoever reviewd this album should check their freaking hearing.
    pape
    its almost everytime that new records suck and the band sais that they have grown so much as writers and persons and ofcourse as musicians.....yeah what ever