The Paramour Sessions review by Papa Roach

• Released: Sep 11, 2006
Papa Roach: The Paramour Sessions

As with every Papa Roach album so far, it is certainly different. Whether this is good or bad is a bit of a mixed bag. Some songs definitely stand out as being unique, while others sound very similar after a while. One thing I noticed from the first time is that there is a definite 80s rock-type sound in a lot of the choruses on this album, almost Bon Jovi-like. That isn't to say it's bad- it's just a gigantic departure from the old Papa Roach style. Overall, the sound on the album is excellent, excluding the more boring songs, such as "The Fire."

Unlike the musical sound, Papa Roach's lyrics haven't changed a bit since day one. If there is any change at all, I'd say it's gotten worse. While the songs are still about emotional problems, relationships, etc., this album seems to give off a bit of a treadmill air. There doesn't seem to be much of interest in the lyrics- it's nothing we haven't heard before, and even if it wasn't, it's still somewhat boring. However, there are faint traces that seem to deviate from this formulaic approach, such as the first verse of "No More Secrets," which seems to actually give a semi-positive look- sadly, the chorus destroys this, which is a bit of a shame. On the other hand, singer Jacoby Shaddix seems to give a lot more emotion here than on previous efforts, which kind of compensates for the bad lyrics, but not entirely.

Apart from the somewhat disappointing lyrics, this is definitely a good rock album with an old-school vibe. For a while, I've been looking for an album that somewhat fit the 'ideal rock band' criteria I had when I was young- this comes fairly close in terms of music, but the lyrics are undeniably bad.

gameplayr8891
    People, stop flaming others and putting them down simply because they have an opinion. It just makes you seem like an ass. Anyways, I think it's a close tie between lovehatetragedy and The Paramour Sessions for their best album (in MY opinion, if you're going to flame me, stop now and keep some of your dignity). I don't know why people say the lyrics are weak, personally I kind of like them, but I'll respect their opinion and not get mad about them having one. I also think that Infest was...well....crap, mostly. The only songs I likes on Infest were Last Resort, Between Angels and Insects, and Binge. I didn't really like the other songs on Infest save for those three. Honestly, I find it pretty cool that PaPa Roach have been in so many different genres. It satisfies more people who have different tastes in music, so stop bitching that they change so much. Who knows? Maybe they'll circle around and make an album similar to Infest(Even though Jacoby said they weren't going back to rapcore, celebrities have done things they said they weren't going to do before =/)
    banki
    I bought this album...It's VERY VERY GOOD..I love the old Papa Roach too...but this album is very good too...at first listen this album before you write comments
    HFR
    I bought this album the first date it came out on September,12,2006 And I have to say this is the best ***** album I have ever Listen to.I been a big P.Roach Fan since Infested and they never dissapointed me.Even though when they changed music tyles.All of you P.roach Haters. FUCK YOU!!!!!
    cool_rom
    I think Paramour Sessions and GAWM are the two best Papa Roach albums in my opinion. Especially Forever, and Time is running out. I didn't like LHT and I liked only three songs from Infest.
    metalmania310
    i think papa roach did a really smart thing. they arent really changing, they're just addapting to the times just like bands like bon jovi and aerosmtih. and a lot of nu metal bands dont end up lasting that long anyway.
    Assassins_Ink
    This album is definitely different from the other stuff, but personally I think I like this album more than I like Getting away with murder. It does have a little pop influence but what now days in the ****ed up music industry doesn't? all in all I think its a good album and it really has the ability to grow on you.
    Bring_Met_2_Mcr
    The_blind_kid wrote: Shaddix is too full of himself. try singing about someone other than himself.
    He hasn't had anybody else's experience has he dipsh*t?