brand new eyes review by Paramore

• Released: Sep 29, 2009
Paramore: brand new eyes

"Brand New Eyes" is Paramore's third album and is possibly their best work to date. The whole album is filled with great songs, in their signature "Paramore" style, but they show that they are able to depart from that style and do it well. They open with "Careful" a song that's done very much like a staple Paramore song, which I believe is a good thing, because it keeps regular Paramore fans roped in to the rest of the album. This is followed by their single "Ignorance", which was released some months ago. This song seems a more "punk-esque" driven song, starting with a powering riff and a belted out chorus. After you have "Playing God" which is a somewhat softer and slower song. Their songs are similar enough to their old ones that they can be recognized easily, but it's the song "Misguided Ghosts" that is the surprise here. It breaks away from their style and instead uses, two very simple acoustic guitars with singer Hayley Williams over it. Very soft and very much lyrically-driven. The guitar work on this album is not too complicated, considering their style of music, but this is by no means a bad thing. The guitar is actually rather varied in the album, ranging from acoustic chords in "The Only Exception" to note-based riffs in "Playing God" to electric chords in "Where the Lines Overlap" The only fault I can see with this album is that the song structures remain similar, if not the same throughout the entire album. This is not too troubling though, and the variety of songs more than makes up for it. Paramore is a relatively young band, with their debut album in 2005, but with their work on this album, it seems they've been at it for much longer. If you've listened to their past albums, it's very heartening to hear the band developing as musicians and the songs on the album are just downright great.

This is probably the strongest part of the album. Singer Hayley Williams shows her amazing control of voice and range of music she can do. She shows she can still belt out full shouted vocals on the track "Ignorance" and can sing with great control and care with songs like "Misguided Ghosts" and "The Only Exception". Her vocal skills have been praised by several reviewers and I can only do the something. There is no doubt that her singing is nothing short of amazing. The lyrics in this song are also very good, and here, you can see more development in the band. Their lyrics have lost some of their naivety from their past albums, but make up for it with even better lyrics. Lyrics ranging from "Where the Lines Overlap" a "happy" song by any accounts, to songs like the very wonderful "Misguided Ghosts".

In my opinion, this is their best work. The development of the band can be seen and the culmination of it is astounding. This band made it to my favorites the first time I listened to them, and this album only keeps them there. My favorite songs are "Brick by Boring Brick", "Turn It Off" and "Where the Lines Overlap". This album is a definite must have for fans of the band, and anyone who likes the "pop-punk-rock" sort of music should give this band a shot as well.

jeowy
    massively disappointed by this album. still, much better than riot at least
    aig91
    Checked Please don't flame the reviewers. If you have an issue with a review, point it out respectfully.
    samlocke14
    im a metal head but i love this album, its really catchy and punchy. a solid effort
    Guitar_Jester
    Meh, I only like Riot. I actually stopped liking them after I went to a concert of 'em in Amsterdam. 1 of the support acts was way better. Shame.
    mtgold83
    Fact: even tho i lover her voice she has much more studio help than she needed in previous albums. Opinion: I feel the album is a tad over produced and clustered a little?
    Jimbosandwich
    "She must have gotten voice lessons..." XD She's been taking singing lessons from Bret Manning for like..seven years now. lol
    CentriX
    This album will, I repeat, WILL take multiple listens to understand it fully. The first one you'll probably be thinking "Well, compared to Riot! and AWKIF this is no big deal..". But after two or more listens, you'll start to realize there's way, way more to it than that. The lyrics are deep, and you must be feeling them to understand them. Overall I loved this album, and I'm still waiting for my chance to see them live
    CelestialChaos
    Mellissa131's review was pretty weak...you praise the guitarist, but say Hayley Williams isn't a very good singer? You have it WAY backwards!
    hammerhead_500
    it's definitely different from the past albums but it's still good music i really like playing god and tun it off just a solid and consistent band
    Sotigris
    i believe it's not as good as the other two.. it's too pop for a rock band! but many songs are still great! i expect something more rock next time!
    Linkerman
    In my opinion, this album is less punk; it is more pop and more rock. But i still try to understand why some people keep calling it emo. They always were punk-pop; now they're pop in some songs, and rock in others. I like "Brand New Eyes" as much as their two previous albums... Paramore is a solid band, no doubts there. It's a good change from listening to Opeth, Mastodon, TooL, etc. all the time. :p Paramore
    padgea7x
    This is album is pop. I like a few songs. They sing about god/religion alot more in this album I'd give it a 7 .....7.5 at most
    Nano556
    and before anyone says well listen to their first album then, I have it, and Riot also superb albums.
    Jagmaster33
    I can't believe I wasted my time listening to this stuff. Paramore (sp?) is yet another example of a completely generic, unoriginal band, and not a single one of their songs does anything but regurgitate the same tired sounds I have heard from hundreds of bands for years. It is music like this that makes people say that rock is dead. This is what is known as snooze rock, and the only person on the planet I could convince to like this band might be my 12 year old cousin.