brand new eyes review by Paramore

• Released: Sep 25, 2009
Paramore: brand new eyes

Paramore's latest album "Brand New Eyes" is their 3rd studio album and is very much on par with previous albums. The album is filled with many good songs throughout the album, in their signature Paramore style. However, they do display certain qualities and skills which slightly depart from their style. They kick off the album with "Careful" which I believe to be one of the stronger songs on the album which draws in the listeners straight away at the start of the album. This is then followed up by their 1st single "Ignorance" which displays a more aggressive and "punky" attitude to Paramore and the sound of Paramore. But then this is followed by a more reflective and softer "Playing God" which shows they can differate from their usual Pop-punk style. Overall the songs are very rememerable and catchy much like previous Paramore albums, but they have introduced more alternatives from their traditional style, unlike previous albums. "Misguided Ghosts" is probably the most obvious change in style and texture for Paramore, using just two acoustic guitars and the vocal of Hayley Williams, giving the song a more "stripped-down" feel. They only real dissapointing factor of this album is the lack of range of textures and sounds, which suggests the band has a only a small range of new writing ideas. But, this is not necessarily a negative point because you will always know what are you going to get with Paramore; quality Pop-punk songs. It is evident that from listening their previous albums very closely that they have clearly developed as a band and musicians on this album. This may be due to their near split in 2008, which has taught them alot about themselves, eachother and maturity. Overall a very solid sound is produced from their latest album and features many great songs, even if they are of a similar style and structure of previous albums. I personally recommend "Careful" and "Where The Lines Overlap" as the higlights of the album.

Once again it is proven that Hayley Williams is a very talented singer, but not only that, but a very talented songwriter aswell. Throughout, the album she shows off her wide range of topics and beliefs. For example she shows she "belt-out" songs like "Ignorance" but also has the control and emotion to pull off songs like "The Only Exception". As many previous reviewers have stated she is an amazing singer, and I can only agree with them. She has a certain attitude in her singing which grips you and makes you want to hear more. The lyrics are well thought out and touch on all sorts of themes. For example in "Feeling Sorry" Hayley Williams shows she is no "push over", but in songs like "All I Wanted" she has been very brave by telling the story of her and Josh Farro's relationship and how she felt. Overall a good range of moods and tones produced by the lyrics and Hayley Williams's voice throughout the album.

In my own opinion, "Brand New Eyes" is some of Paramore's best work to date, however if they were to produce more variations from their Pop-punk style I would believe the album to be much more solid and rounded. The developement of the band is very evident after listening to previous albums and it is pleasing to see them develop in such a way. My personal highlights of the album have to be "Careful", "Where The Lines Overlap" and "All I Wanted". If you are a Paramore fan you will love this album and I recommend you buy it, also if you are a fan of Pop-punk it is a good representation of the genre.

ThunderPX
    Black Orchid
    ThunderPX wrote: padgea7x wrote: This is album is pop. I like a few songs. They sing about god/religion alot more in this album I'd give it a 7 .....7.5 at most I only counted one direct reference to religion. Are you sure you're not talking about the new Flyleaf album?
    Amen. It's crazy how much Paramore and Flyleaf get mixed up... But Flyleaf is no pop band by a long shot...