RIOT! review by Paramore

• Released: Jun 12, 2007
Paramore: RIOT!

Although they have country backgrounds, hailing from Frankin, Tennessee, the members of the young foursome Paramore would never betray this secret; their style can be described as something like "Avril-Lavigne-meets-Boys-Like-Girls." However, it is undeniable that their music has remained the same since the release of their debut, All We Know Is Falling. This album could be easily classified as rock, while their new set of tracks have an unmistakable pop aura around their edges. Like the hit single "Misery Business," the entire album comes out of the Paramore machine processed, touched up and radio-ready, while their older stuff had a more raw sound. These songs, nonetheless, are impossible not to sing along to. Driven by clean bubbly guitar and fronted by spunky vocalist Hayley Williams, they are closer to the dance-hall tracks played on the radio than the familiar rock ballads of their first release. Truth be told, it seems that although Riot! will gain Paramore many new fans of pop music, it may also lose them some of the more die-hard listeners to former "relatives" such as Flyleaf, Mindless Self Indulgence and Jimmy Eat World.

It is immediately apparent that the lyrics are the high point of the album. Though the tunes themselves are far from epic, the sharp lines deliver a blow straight to the heart, reminding the listener of real-life experiences. For example, Misery Business delivers the venom of sweet revenge, chorusing with, "I never meant to brag, but I got him where I want him now, and if you could then you know you would, 'cause God, it just feels so good." Equally bitter is the verse of That's What You Get: "No Sir, well I don't want to be the blame, not anymore. It's your turn to take a seat; we're settling the final score." Shockingly mature for Williams' tender age are the words to the tragically uplifting We Are Broken. The refrain pleads, "What can we do to restore our innocence and all the promise we adored? Give us life again, 'cause we just want to be whole."

In summary, Riot!, although it shines brightly for its insightful lyrics, pales in comparison to the quartet's 2005 release. The highlights are as follows: the bouncy sugar-coated single Misery Business, the soulful We Are Broken, the religion-based Hallelujah, which pleads for faith. The biggest downfall of the album, in my opinion, is the guitar; while All We Know Is Falling is lifted by heavy, sure guitar, Riot! is simply supplemented by guitar licks here and there. Besides this, I would give Riot! a positive review, and would go to the trouble to get it again if I lost it. It is most comparable to a few of the other bands on the same label (Fueled By Ramen), such as Fall Out Boy, Panic! At the Disco, Cute is What We Aim For and Cobra Starship.

red157
    Holy shit, how has this got the same rating from reviews as Era Vulgaris? I almost want to listen to it, just so I can give it a negative review.
    Riotgirrl*
    linear-equation
    What the.. How can Avril even compare to Hayley? =s Oh, and Hayley is so hot. Lol. Paramore is an okay band.
    acousticspaz
    my girlfriend loves this band and i told her that they were emo... and u bet ur little butt that she is anything BUT emo and she doesnt like that i keep saying that they're emo and i was thinking of learning to play her crushcrushcrush which is her favorite song, and i found that it doesnt sound good on an acoustic!! lol
    Linkerman
    I'd like to know since when "paramore" is an emo band. For me it's pop-rock or even punk-pop, but emo? Hmmm... I really don't think so.
    skatercanaya
    Riotgirrl* wrote: Lorenp wrote: paramore_fans wrote: You don't need to be a CHRISTIAN to sound good!!! For me, Avril sings better than Hayley, hotter, prettier, more talented and DOWN TO EARTH to her fans!!! because Avril plays guitar, piano and drums, she also writes her own songs, she can DANCE too hahaha Are you being serious? Avril Lavigne is more talented than Hayley Williams? Nah nah. When it comes to playing instruments, they are probably pretty even but Hayley Williams has a much better voice. C'mon Avril could never reach that notes, especially not live. And have you heard the song 'hot'? Anyway, yes, Paramore are awesome. They're blend of catchy lyrics and melodic rhythms are really good to hear. Seriously, I can listen to them for hours. Yeah. That's true. hayley is MUCH better than Avril Serioustly, Avril's last album sucks a lot. Paramore writes their own songs too and Hayley as a better voice. she reach notes that Avril could never do and, Hayley sings really better in live and her voice is so amazing, so strong. Their songs are really more catchy and lyrics means much more too me.
    I couldn't agree more. Although Avril has a bit more experience than Hayley, Hayley boasts a wider vocal range and a more powerful sound. However, depending on my mood, I will favor one over the other. Avril's ultra-catchy beats (mainly "Girlfriend", etc.) instantly grab your attention, making you want to just get up and dance. Paramore's deeper, more meaningful lyrics (as shown in "We Are Broken" and "Hallelujah") realy make you think. It's up to you do decide which is better, but for now, Paramore totally pwns Avril.
    osiris_guard
    I still liked the first album but in fairness it's cool with all of those songs esp. born for this.
    DroogieSteve
    I like Paramore, but they're capable of doing a lot better than just using the same recycled pop-punk hooks they're currently barraging the music world with. It's like Hayley's hair, would be just as good if not better and less likely to fall out if it was it's natural color, but it wouldn't be very pop-punk otherwise. The lyrics are pretty bad actually, "Nothing compares to a quiet evening alone" it's a song for people who have nothing to sing about. Also, Hallelujah didn't have a tune, Hayley just made random notes during no particular queues.