RIOT! review by Paramore

• Released: Jun 12, 2007
Paramore: RIOT!

I was impressed with the first track, For a Pessimist I'm Pretty Optimistic. What an entrance. Paramore seemed to have developed from high-school friendship pop in All We Know Is Falling. They've widened their range from catchy pop-rock (That's What You Get) to quiet, reflective ballads (We Are Broken). Overall, it's a fireworks display of brilliant music, unlike their previous album, which I found slightly cliched and monotonic. The guitars have improved, too. They've used legato, distortion and delay in a more creative way to create a brand new bunch of talented and well-presented teenage anthems. 01. For A Pessimist I'm Pretty Optimistic - sudden, splashy intro with short bursts of the brilliant Hayley Williams "baby-whine voice" in between moments of strumming, then the chorus, if not for Williams' voice, would have been boring and nothing special. 02. That's What You Get - nice drum and guitar intro, with a steady verse and catchy pop chorus. Catchy and nice melody (and rhythm) to it. 03. Hallelujah - one of my least favourite songs in the album, yet it's just brilliant. It's literally and showcase of what Hayley Williams can do. The final chorus is just a brilliant explosion of what a fairly small person can do with her lungs. 04. Misery Business - the mariachi intro, I think, is just a bit of party trickery to entertain. Nevertheless, it's quite catchy and addictive. This song is probably Paramore's most successful single so far. It's a perfect balance of everything: guitar, bass, vocals, drumming. It's just ultimately and devilishly exquisite. The solo is simple, but it really fits the mood of the song effectively. 05. When It Rains - one of my favourites. The vocals soothe you and the sweet, peaceful melody and awesome chorus are just basically good for a romantic evening. I've seen the video of Paramore singing this in Norwegian Wood and the crowd was just relaxed and soothed by it. Pretty much no bass involved and steady drumming. Great for jamming. 06. Let The Flames Begin - dramatic anthem. Williams' voice and the tone of the whole thing. The chorus is just explosive. Some people just cry from hearing. The riff in the bridge is great, too. And the final chorus just tops it all up. 07. Miracle - this, compared to the other songs, is just pop-rock nonsense. Even though the intro is quite good, it sounds like another song from their first album. I guess it just shows a bit about their past. 08. Crushcrushcrush - I love this song. The song broken down is utterly basic and nothing special. But if you put the vocals, guitars and drums, it's just a song you can sing along to. It's extremely catchy Hayley Williams' voice keeps a low profile on this one, but it's just awesome! 09. We Are Broken - it's one of those ballads that is perfect because of the voice that's singing it. The lyrics are awesome and it's another showcase of that good-ol' voice, I guess. David Bendeth helped compose this song and it uses a bit of gang vocals at the end. 10. Fences - I feel like everytime I hear this I feel like I'm inan Old West saloon somewhere. But the lyrics about the pressures of being a celebrity just kind of spoils it abit. Nevertheless, the catchy tune just saves it in the end. 11. Born For This - high school time! This is just one of those teenage anthems you can't help but love. It's got gang vocals and the lyrics match the song. A bit like "Let The Flames Begin" but more upbeat.

The lyrics are just brilliantly picked. The first two songs pretty much talk about heartbreak. There are a few that are top choices fo teenage anthems, and they vary in mood, which the guitars and drums just express perfectly. Misery Business is just being on top and giving everyone hell, and the mood, is again, matched well. Actually, I take that back. They're legendary at it. Then you have melancholic songs, which are just perfect. They balance the album's emotion well. Fences talks about the pressures of being a celebrity, and I think pop stars talk about it enough. The rest of the lyrics are footprints and birthmarks of what Paramore used to be and still are: a bunch of brilliant, musically talented group of kids.

It's definitely in my top three favourites. The other two being The Black Parade and A Beautiful Lie. They seem to have an epic aura and a story about them. My favourite song from this particular album is For a Pessimist I'm Pretty Optimistic. The last chorus could've been more powerful, though, like how they sing it live. If it was stolen or lost, I would buy it (even though it's been ripped onto my PC) just so I have one more amazing album in my CD collection. The selection of the songs is just awesome, though I wish they had Emergency on this. Overall, it's just perfect to me. There's barely a flaw in this song.

Sound Mind
    spartan44R wrote: Guitarisdrummer: I LOVE THIS CD. Hayley Williams might be the best girl singer I've ever heard. i agree but i more than agree whit you there guitarisdrummer. Hayley has an amazing voice, the lyrics are catchy so is the guitar work and the drums are phenominal 10/10 from me and why not paramore rule!!! thats right paramore not just hayley. I think that paramore will become one of the best bands in ith 2008-2018 space of time if they carry on producing top quality pieces of music like crushcrushcrush and when it rains thanks for reading guys and sorry for the comment being so long
    come on, the music is not phenominal. i like paramore as much as the next guy, but if it wasn't for Haley's amazing voice, the band would not have made it this far.