Deep Blue review by Parkway Drive

• Released: Jun 25, 2010
Parkway Drive: Deep Blue

This is definitely a different sound for parkway, rather than songs being just random collections of fast riffs and slow heavy breakdown the songs on Deep Blue songs seem to take a more constructed approach thus setting a heavyer atmosphere. Which in the end brings itself together for some of the most brootal and heavy breakdowns imaginable from this artist. It is also heard a lot in this album how the band works together through the verses and the breakdowns in different ways.

The vocals in this album is a lot more evident. If you are a person who likes metal but can't stand the screaming, then this album definitely isnt for you. Winstons vocals are harsh and brootal and fit in extremely well with the rest of the bands works. They are heard even more throughout songs and long screams are being used a lot more aswell. It is hard to see why they would do this as the man who helped them produce this tried his hardest to use as least editing as he could, giving a more natural sound and of corse a better live show. But if you have seen the live set on their DVD you will know that winston was struggling to get through the show, so how he'll manage a show with these vocals I don't know (at least until october :p)

You can't really compare Deep Blue to the other parkway albums as its a completely different type of metal compared to what the others were based on, but it does continue the ocean theme in the lyrics and such. I'd have to say that I can't wait to see them play Home is For the Heartless live, as the crowd will go simply mental. And for anyone who has their first album (Don't Close Your Eyes) should listen to the song Hollow man some more, the song Hollow on Deep Blue has some scary similarities... Deep Blue is released on the 25th of June, and I am writing this review on the 23rd. It was not a leak at all though because the people who pre ordered it from Jb Hi-Fi did get it in the mail 3 days before. I didn't buy it, but I will be buying it this friday as I can't get enough of this album.