Deep Blue review by Parkway Drive

• Released: Jun 25, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Parkway Drive: Deep Blue

This summer, Australian Metalcore band Parkway Drive released their third full-length album, Deep Blue. The release, which follows after the band's 2007 release Horizons, once again brings back the imagery of the ocean through song titles and concepts. This 13 song album pulls no punches right from the beginning. It unleashes every bit of heavy riffing and breakdowns straight from the get go, but this time, the band decided to play in Drop-A, instead of Drop-B as on their previous albums. This change in tuning is immediately noticeable by the first breakdown of the album, and keeps a very heavy feel throughout. The only issue I find with the sound of this album is that it doesn't sound as crisp to me as Horizons did. It has a very muddy sound throughout most of it, a bad change from the cleanliness of the previous album.

As I stated before, the lyrics hold to Parkway's concept of oceans, started on Horizons. On the whole, the lyrics on this album are nothing different than those on their previous releases, or even any metalcore band's releases. This is not an insult at all, they are pretty good lyrics, I just wish that there would be more creativity in the writing process. As for the vocals on the album, they are straight in line with anything you'd expect from Parkway. Winston's deep, throaty screams compliment the music perfectly, though the track, "Pressures" was a large turn off for me. The intro screaming, while I understand what the band was going for, sounded to me like a really bad demo recorded in someone's bathroom.

Deep Blue, all together is a pretty good album, but I expected much more from the band after hearing Horizons. Parkway lives up to their reputation of bringing extremely heavy breakdowns and pretty good riffing to the table, but the guitar sound, to me, could have been much better. My pick for best track? Deadweight: this song starts off slow, with what I feel like is a very Papa Roach-esque hammer-on/pull-off opening, but by tthe time the 30 second marker hits, it busts out of the gates with one of the best riffs I've heard in a long time. The others on the album are decent, but I feel that Deadweight is by far the best track on the album. All in all, Deep Blue is great for a listen through, once or twice. It just does not compare with the replay value of Horizons. If this album were stolen/lost, I wouldn't buy it again, I'd probably just download it.

jonnowev
    Alot of bands have been doing that recently but I think PWD have always played in Drop B.
    Also:
    *cough* Download.
    iPLAYSguitar
    Album is awesome, just as good as previous efforts. I don't understand the hate this album is getting.
    Contractor
    You do realise that adam did produce as i lay dying's new album, and that it is ****ing awesome...
    themetalpig
    Deep Blue is a 'grower', I don't like it more than their other releases (yet?) but it definately requires multiple listens (also for the fact it's a concept album). Have people in this age of downloads and disposable music forgotten to give it a few listens before dismissing it. "Oh no, I didn't like it after one listen...arrgh!"
    Campbell22
    Phoenix322
    theflyingapple wrote: hmm... i thought this album was up there with KWAS and horizons... strange that other people disagree
    Deep Blue is clearly a step down from previous albums.
    Eurasian_C
    joeyreece wrote: It's a good album, but killing with a smile and horizons were better,,, I wish they didn't do the remake of hollow man especially with some rare singer in it.... And another downer is in "Home is for the heartless", I don't like how winston screams the "woah, woah" in it, it'd be much better if it was just backup vocals,,, but yeah overall it IS a good album it was just a bit disappointing how sleepwalker is probably the best song on the album and i knew it before I got the whole album so yeah nothing outdid it
    The album is a good album, but it's not as clean a listen. There are some really cool things they do with the melodies and I feel like they've tried to up the dynamics in their songs with the choice of Joe Barresi as producer. They've gotten heavier without really crossing over the "bro" side of heavy, which would just be absolutely horrible. Best songs on there are "Sleepwalker", "Unrest", "Wreckage", and "Deliver Me". Hell I ****ing love "Deliver Me". The clean interlude is ****ing PERFECTLY placed. Such a good contrast from the rest of the heavy stuff in that song, and then the screams with the build-up are just golden. All and all, there are some good songs on the album, but unlike Killing With A Smile and Horizons, this album isn't as cohesive. I feel like they tried to do too many things with this album which sacrificed the flow of it.
    iH8CarAccidents
    mick2643 wrote: Not what i expected. i expected them to top horizons, but they took a more mainstream approach. which has a lot to due with with not having adam produce this album. 2 let downs in row, parkway drive and as i lay dying.
    What was wrong with the new As I Lay Dying album? They're progressively becoming less metalcore. Or at least they're advancing the genre and making it a little more diverse. Definitely head and shoulders above most generic metalcore bands out there. As for Parkway Drive, I never listened to them much. I thought they were pretty good but nothing special. Then I heard them playing one of their songs in Hot Topic one day and was like "Hey, this is pretty sweet. Who is it?" So I've decided to give them another listen. We'll see what I think afterwards.
    DudeI'mOnAlesse
    erm, their last album (Horizons) came out in 2007, theyve had 3 years.
    EpiExplorer
    zirkonflex wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Winston's annoying, cliche growls compliment the music perfectly Yes. Also, whats with all the happy, honky-tonk riffs. Do they just want to turn this into a joke or are they blissfully unaware about it. Then again, 13 year olds 'dance' to this crap. To me this has always been special about the band, they really have killer melodic riffs with a lot feeling wheras all the other bands just poop out one evil boring riff after another. If you want to hear cool dissonant shit go listen to Carnifex or Whitechapel, not Parkway Drive. I have never been a fan of any type of "Core", but PD are bringing me into this. I think the album is pretty good, there are enough songs that kick major ass. Deadweight is by far my fovourite track they ever did, It's really got this "jumping up" feeling.
    I'm totally bored with metalcore, its just been around too long as a fashion statement now. Only like 3 metalcore-ish bands: Himsa, Deadlock and TesseracT.
    jacksonDKMG
    DudeI'mOnAlesse wrote: Campbell22 wrote: They had like 1 year or so to record te album because of their label... I didn't expect the best album ever erm, their last album (Horizons) came out in 2007, theyve had 3 years.
    yeah cuz they start recordin new album directly after the last one. no tours or anythin. just strait up writing and recording
    Disturbed_EMG
    I'm a big fan of Parkway but, I gotta agree with what everyone else seems to be saying. "It's a decent album, but it's disappointing." All the breakdowns in this one seem boring and repetitive to me, like the first review (I think it was) said, there's a breakdown there just because they wanted a breakdown there. It seemed like there wasn't much thought (if any) put into the writing of these breakdowns. However, in a couple of songs, they are done well. I've heard a few people say that this new album is an acquired taste, so to speak and I'd sorta agree. I didn't like Unrest or Sleepwalker when I first heard them, but now they're my favourites on the album. But the rest of the album (excluding Home Is For The Heartless) was really boring for me. Home Is For The Heartless is my favourite Parkway song now, and easily my favourite on the album. But yeah, alright album but disappointing. In my opinion, go buy The Amity Affliction's "Youngbloods" before buying this. I have both, and that's far more impressive.
    the_burning_one
    deftools wrote: haz_uk : jimmicore17 wrote: Dude, it was Brett Gurewitz. from ****ing Bad Religeon. Anyone who disses this album should go buy themselves a new pair of ears. Also, the album uses A, A# AND B. And Joe Baressi recorded. So whoever it was that dissed the recording quality, it's designed to be a live album, so the quality of the bass is amazing!!! If it sounds muddy, go buy a new stereo. Fucking moron... that doesn't give it some sort of intrinsic worth, nor does it make it immune to criticism. no need to get overly defensive there, fanboy. i've listened to it through a number of different quality sources on cd/lossless/mp3 - and it still blows. designed to be a 'live' album; my backside. Regardless of wether you like it or not you cant deny that this record does not sound anywhere as crisp as horizons, whether or not this is intentional or not is up for debate. I don't care, for me horizons sounded much fuller. I also feel like deep blue lacks the brutality in parts that Horizons and killing with a smile have. and how is going for a live album sound, justify shit production???, you wanna hear how good a live metal core recording can be one? one word ' kiladelhpia"
    +100
    trendkill-
    kylendm wrote: I thought this was one of their bests. What's wrong with people!
    its called different opinions and taste in music...theres nothing wrong with us.
    morninrenob
    i love this album soo much, BUT then again it is the first Parkway album i have purchased in a store and listened to it fully while reading the lyrics. As i am writing this i am listening through Horizons and i really don't see what is so great about it. I am also only 3 songs in. I don't know.. love Deep Blue.
    Crazycrackup
    Darkshade666 wrote: Who the hell mixed this album ? xD I could probably do a better job than he did.
    Amen!! Most of the songs are grade A, wicked stuff! But the recordings let it down so bad... I'll be looking forward to see what they sound like live... probably 100 times better than the crappy recording.
    guitarfreak222
    It's a good album, deserves maybe a 6.5/10 at least. It is, however, Parkway Drive's poorest effort to date. Horizons is much better than Deep Blue but this album is still worth a listen.
    vanmanson
    deep blue was the biggest letdown Ive had from my favorite bands as of late. Killswitch new album sounds better than this laughable garbage. I was a Parkway fan, but this one is a total wash...no pun intended.
    deftools
    zirkonflex
    haz_uk
    mick2643
    cozzaa
    Live orientated focus on this album fo' sure. Massive change in sound from previous records.
    jacksonDKMG
    i was under the impression they recorded this in drop A#/B(insert flat symbol here) (i know there the same but some people dont)
    MH400
    EpiExplorer wrote: Also: At the moment, not much of the lyrics are available on the internet to study, so I can't comment too much on the lyrics throughout the album *cough* Download.
    I wrote the review a few days after the album was released. It took UG a while to accept the review. The lyrics weren't up when I wrote it.
    joeyreece
    JagerSlushy
    Ehh, not as good as Horizons, and definitely not as good as KWAS. It's solid, but it's not that great of an album.
    Rockinguitar
    vanmanson wrote: I was a Parkway fan, but this one is a total wash...no pun intended.
    That's okay. I don't get it.
    espplayer400
    Im sorry, but i love this album. Not as good as horizons, and sure, the mix isnt the best, but this album is by no means BAD. I give it a 7.5/10, which for my standards is good.
    Tapping_Ninja
    I think what really kills t he album is the frist like 3 or 4 tracks.... But like after that it's pure amazing. The single they released not so amazing, but not bad either. I'd say this album is something a lot of people are going to look back on and be like "oh shit, that waas pretty awesome..." Second, whats with all these Metalcore bands starting to get super Melodic death metal esque guitar leads?
    CrossBack7
    This. If it was mixed better, it'd be much better sounding and be a lot closer to the levels of their other Cds. Agree with everyone else. Not bad, by any means, but not their best/.
    nodurquack
    haz_uk
    sounds way too scooped. guitar tone is pre-production quality at best, and the kicks are so loud and compressed they gave me a friggin' headache. stick with adam d, chaps.
    cpetre01
    Definitely do not like as well as last two records. 'Deep Blue' was mixed and recorded by someone new to Parkway Drive. Whereas 'Killing with a Smile' and 'Horizons' was done by Adam D. of Killswitch. I guess that accounts for the poor mixing/tone of the album. Say what you will about Killswitch, but their sound/tone is KILLER.
    Daleymo
    I feel that the album gets better the more you listen to it. They are definitely stepping into a more melodic style, but songs like Unrest show that they 'still got it.' As for the tunings? There are a few in A, a few in A# and the rest are in B. KWAS is the way to go...
    JD+Thrash=win
    It deeply saddens me that as an Australian, this band is the best my country can do when it comes to metal on a global scale =(
    jimmicore17
    joeyreece wrote: And another downer is in "Home is for the heartless", I don't like how winston screams the "woah, woah" in it, it'd be much better if it was just backup vocals,,,
    DudeI'mOnAlesse
    nodurquack wrote: They didn't change to Drop A... A few songs are in A# but most are still in Drop B.
    samsara and unrest are drop A, but yea all the others are in either B or A#
    EpiExplorer
    Winston's annoying, cliche growls compliment the music perfectly