Deep Blue review by Parkway Drive

• Released: Jun 25, 2010
Parkway Drive: Deep Blue

Veeeeerryyy different. Listening to the first three songs makes that apparent. The vocals are a lot louder(sometimes a little too loud) guitars are deeper and the skill level of the drumming has increased by miles. Overall the sound of this would be disappointing for anyone that wanted it to be just like Horizons. My only problem with it personally is that the vocals can sometimes be a little too loud. The riffing on this album is still quite good with some very catchy tracks you just have to have an ear for metal so the vocals don't drown them out. The technical ability of all band members has really shown through in this album and I personally enjoyed it a lot but when you listen to it, you have to consider it a new album not an extension of their old work.

I love the lyrics on this album. I think Winston does a brilliant job as always. The vocals are very clear throughout the entire album with some catchy lines. I personally hated the whoaa bit in "home is for the heartless" and thought it was a bit of a wank. Aside from that they didn't change things up too dramatically in the lyrical department with some references tot he ocean and a decent theme coupled with some deep meaning and catchy lines.

Horizons was probably a slightly better album in my opinion just because of the super catchy melodic clean nature of all songs. Deep Blue is still a brilliant album however. 01. Samsara: this is a little track to start the album and creates quite a good build up to the real power of the following song. 02. Unrest: one of my favorites from the album with a very strong heavy feel from the opening. It has a nice breakdown and some good drumming throughout. 03. Sleepwalker: this song is just awesome. Sweet riffs, great vocals, awesome breakdowns and a nice melodic fadeout. 04. Wreckage: a nice melodic song with some very catchy riffs. 05. Deadweight: starts of slightly annoyingly with a deep tap riff but goes into a nice speedy riff and a pretty good song overall 06. Alone: begins with an accoustic section and seems to be this albums "horizons". Not the best on the album but still a good song. 07. Pressures: a great heavy song with a solid main riff. 08. Deliver Me: has a very powerful opening and stays heavy for most of the song with a nice breakdown. Has a build up towards the end which is very strong. Probably my favorite song on the album. 09. Karma: a decent track opens with a sweet drum fill and has a good catchy chorus. 10. Home Is For The Heartless: my least favorite song on the album, I see what they were going for with the whoa's and opening lyrics but I thought it was too obviously an attempt at an anthem and it seems a little wanky. 11. Hollow: fairly good riffs, can get lost in the songs around it but a decen track by itself. 12. Leviathan I: A solid heavy track with some great drums...good loud. 13. Set To Destroy: a fast, heavy song which punches you in the face, could have chosen a better song to end the album on but still not bad...just sudden. Overall I would buy it again if lost or stolen because I am a huge partkway fan... I will admitt it is weaker than their previous albums but I still love every song.