Deep Blue review by Parkway Drive

• Released: Jun 25, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Parkway Drive: Deep Blue

Parkway Drive certainly haven't broken any ground with their latest effort, Deep Blue, as many seem to be claiming. The first impression left little desire to listen to it again and was somewhat disappointing as they definitely set high expectations following their previous two efforts. A couple of songs such as Unrest have been recorded in drop A#, lower than their usual drop Bb tuning. This seems to contribute to a bigger, heavier sound directed more at live performance and this unfortunately doesn't make for enjoyable listening. There aren't really any stand out songs on this album but they are by no means bad. Sleepwalker has a completely different style and sound to anything they have done in the past and shows they are not afraid to experiment. The album just doesn't seem to have as many catchy riffs as the previous two and it really misses the crisp and polished sound that Adam D was able to produce.

The lyrics on the album aren't any better or worse than the lyrics on the previous releases. The lyrics do continue to have references to the ocean as Horizons did. Lyrically it is a concept album which tells a story throughout the songs. The vocals on the album were a pleasant surprise. Vocalist Winston McCall failed to disappoint with a very powerful performance behind the mic. There is quite a lot more range in the vocals on the album. There are even some guest vocalists featured on the album - Marshall Lichtenwaldt of The Warriors on Hollow, and label owner Brett Gurewitz (of Bad Religion fame) on Home Is For The Heartless.

Parkway Drive seem to have lost their solid footing which they had on KWAS and Horizons. While most of this review may seem negative it is by no means a bad album but just not what you would expect after a couple of really solid records. Sleepwalker impressed in terms of its new/different sound from anything they have done before although it won't be everyone's cup of tea. Hollow had quite a catchy section that reminded of the Parkway of old but overall nothing really to talk about. Although a lot of people may not like As I Lay Dying, Adam D and co. must be commended for the sound they got out of AILD's latest release The Powerless Rise. Why is this relevant? Well, with no disrespect to Joe Barresi, it seems Parkway should've stuck with Adam D as they had a winning recipe and Deep Blue could have been a completely different album if it had been touched by the hand of Adam D. If lost or stolen, rather buy Horizons or Killing With a Smile if don't have those already, otherwise save up for a pedal or something.

BradleyyJohn
    Great album, much prefer Horizons and KWAS though. I think for the next album, they should go back to their original producer, he did a better job than this new guy.
    mcclure3113
    jonnowev wrote: Alot of bands have been doing that recently but I think PWD have always played in Drop B.
    Besides this album where some songs are played in Drop B flat (A#) and a few are still in Drop B like Leviathan I
    maowcat
    EltonHurtado wrote: This album is brilliantly written. Truthfully, I think the sound matured a lot compared to Horizons. Many people here don't like it because.. Come on, it's Ultimate-Guitar. I'm pretty sure there's a large audience here that listens to actual Metal and they're probably comparing to that. This is indeed part of the metal sub genres. Call me lame, but I'm all about that stuff.. and I love this.
    no this album isn't brilliant by any stand point, it was quite generic, it didn't change much from horizons except lower tunings, more breakdowns (they had a perfect amount on horizons) and less riffs, the producing was terrible, bass was lost in the mix, guitars muddy, sounded like a line 6 pod, but the vocals and drums were great, same with the lyrics, decent album with a terrible mix, i can listen to horizons start to finish and be like **** yeah, but this i'd struggle to listen all the way through, i hope their next album is much better, i did like the lower tunings though
    Campbell2893
    The thing with this album is, it was good...just good. Their previous work was amazing and this was....y'know...a good album. It wasn't that it sucked, just that even though it was fairly decent...it was still a let down. Hard to clearly describe but it was a "meh" album that i don't think will stand out after they produce a few more...unless they progressively get worse..**** i hope that doesn't happen. For the record I've seen them live in the last year and the songs ARE good live. But so were the others and they didn't lose any sound quality for it.
    Naruto00121
    I thought there new album was amazing. But due to the high standard they set, it was looked down apon. I would give it an 8.5 because they tried something new although it didn't work, I hope their next album is the best to date
    EltonHurtado
    glom
    EpiExplorer wrote: zirkonflex wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Winston's annoying, cliche growls compliment the music perfectly Yes. I'm totally bored with metalcore, its just been around too long as a fashion statement now. Only like 3 metalcore-ish bands: Himsa, Deadlock and TesseracT.
    You sir are a moron. Himsa is far better than deadlock and tesseract. How can you even put them in the same sentence.
    hazardmaster
    I think this is the best work PWD have done so far. I think that the production was amazing, I get bloody awesome sound quality. You really have to listen to this album at least 5 times to really appreciate it imo, only a few aspects I don't like are the breakdowns which are feeling forced and generic at times.
    mcclure3113
    how the hell can anyone say that the recording and mixing sucks..listen to it in your car with good speakers..if your listening through your ipod or an mp3 file no wonder why u hear shit because they are not at all the same quality as off the CD..in ipod headphones not every frequency can play through because the speakers arent capable of reproducing it..do yourself a favor and buy a decent pair of speakers with a sub woofer and pop the CD in and let me know what you think
    mcclure3113
    MH 400 idk what the hell you are listening too. The new album is 10X better production wise than horizons. The guitars are alot more clearer too and every instrument fits perfectly in the audible spectrum. Too say it doesn't sound heavy is absolutly ridiculous, i dont think you can even tune a guitar lower than drop b flat without it even sounding like a guitar anymore. The guitars on horizons are have alot more mid range than deep blue which gives it that muddy sound. and to say the album gets boring well obviously this isnt your type of music.
    mcclure3113
    Most of the songs on the new album are actually played in Drop B flat (a.k.a. A#) however a few are still in drop B. I know Leviathan I is
    LSPapercutAP
    Man oh man I just don't understand everyone on this who is saying horizons is better. I mean have you actually listened to the Deep Blue in its entirety? Deep Blue is an album that I wish is how all albums work; it's solid, flows, and every instrument fuses together so cohesively creating the perfect environment and painting a great picture for the vocals and storyline. It is one solid masterpiece whereas i would say Parkway Drive's other work is excellent and talented but it does not have the same wholeness to it that Deep Blue has. Idk maybe I'm alone here but I feel this album takes it over all their other albums. It's an album not singles w/ filler songs.
    Alpha_Wolf
    milandros wrote: A couple of songs such as Unrest have been recorded in drop A#, lower than their usual drop Bb tuning
    ololol.
    ianaimo
    I've seen them 4 times. Amazing every time! I love PD but am a little disappointed on DEEP BLUE. I love the lyrics and artwork of the album though. IMO its the best part about this cd! lol
    ianaimo
    I have to admit I am not a huge fan of this cd at all. I love the opening "Samsara". It is very different from parkway drive though much more acacia/emmure then parkway drive but I still really like it. The strange thing is that when it goes in to song # 2. It sounds like these two songs are two totally different mixes. Which I find very odd since they have basically had 3 years to make this album, why would they rush production and miss something so simple as the levels? The kick drum is also WAY too high. It drowns out everything at some times. I'd say I really only like 5-6 of the songs on here with "Karma" being my favorite because of that epic lead that is played during the middle breakdown. Definitely not PD's best work though!
    uninsane_guitar
    Crazycrackup wrote: Darkshade666 wrote: Who the hell mixed this album ? xD I could probably do a better job than he did. Amen!! Most of the songs are grade A, wicked stuff! But the recordings let it down so bad... I'll be looking forward to see what they sound like live... probably 100 times better than the crappy recording.
    I saw them at Warped this year, and let me tell you, Unrest was their opening song and it ****in opened that pit! They sounded amazing!
    uninsane_guitar
    drop A#, lower than their usual drop Bb tuning.
    I don't think this person realizes that A# and Bb are exactly the same! Lol Other than that, this album sounds great, Unrest and Sleepwalker get me goin every time!!!
    trussrodking
    Killing with a smile is their fist album huh? no...it is dont close your eyes. douche.
    Alpha_Wolf
    This album definitely grew on me. I didn't like it much at first, but now I'm in love with Deep Blue.
    Shark_Ethic
    kylendm wrote: I thought this was one of their bests. What's wrong with people!
    ST Custom wrote: kylendm wrote: I thought this was one of their bests. What's wrong with people! anytime artists pour their life into music you can appreciate it in so many ways, from the riffs to the screams, to the bass lines, to drum beats and, just all the different aspects that goes into a creative entity. Now you have to be open to appreciation in order to fully accept the awesomeness that is deepblue. No there is nothing "wrong" with people who don't like this album, simply put they are not open to appreciation. The album needs to their tickle every fancy from head to toe in order for it to be a good album!!! While an album like this is a godsend, its all about appreciation, PWD was not out to make a buck, they were out to make history, and they so succeeded.
    well put!
    ST Custom
    kylendm wrote: I thought this was one of their bests. What's wrong with people!
    frankibo
    This album is the epitome of generic metalcore. It's not a bad album but in a genre which is saturated you need to do something different and special to stand out. Parkway Drive have done neither of these things. They haven't varied from the genereic metalcore forumla at all. I actually think they're getting more generic then they used to be which is worrying. Sorry for overusing the word generic.
    And I have to agree with Alpha_Wolf, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha