Deep Blue review by Parkway Drive

• Released: Jun 25, 2010
Parkway Drive: Deep Blue

I bought this album the day it came out, went home, locked my door plugged it in, and me and my friend were completely amazed. The intro of the album, "Samsara" was a perfect build up. I couldn't sit still without headbanging once the first breakdown came. After that, "Unrest" came and we just went apeshit. We just could not sit still to this kind of heaviness. The album got better an better as it went on. In my opinion, this is Parkway Drive's best album to date, and their heaviest. The only problem I think people will have with this is listening to it through headphones. The guitars sounded very dirty and distorted. I think they did this purposely to add character to the music. I personally liked it, but others may feel differently. I guess it's based on preference. Also, if you are a guitarist and know music theory well, then you will notic a lot of the same scales throughout the album. If you don't notice then it's a great listen. The bass is kind of lost in the guitars, but you can still kinda tell that the bass is there. The drumming is without a doubt much better than anything before. Ben Gordon is, in my opinion, one of the most skilled drummers ever with the release of this album.

The lyrics on this album are phenomonal. They are complex and do a very good job in telling the story of the album. Winston McCall has an amazing, unique voice compared to a lot of other metal vocalists. He knows when to do a growl and when to actually scream, and it compliments the music perfectly. I also thought that the guest vocalists added a bit of variety to the album. I liked Brett Gurewitz's appearance on "Home Is For The Heartless" and Marshall Lichtenwaldt's interlude in "Hollow".

Here are the songs and an explanation on each of them: 01. "Samsara" - The intro of the album. It builds up to a very heavy breakdown at the end, and sedues to the next song of the album. 02. "Unrest" - A fast, heavy headbanger. It has a very nice breakdown at th end of it, and the drums in the beginning just kick your a-s. 03. "Sleepwalker" - One of the singles of the album. The main riff hasa kinda upeat feel and the song has a melodic section at the end of it which includes a solo :D! A rare event in Parkway Drive songs. 04. "Wreckage" - This song starts off loud and then moves on to an epic main riff. The end of the song has a cool guitar harmony at the end of it, too. 05. "Deadweight" - This song starts off with the bass drum and then comes in with a cool tapping lick that leads off to one of the best riff I've ever heard. The breakdown in this song is also very heavy, a great headbanger. At the end of the song, there is an even heavier breakdown with a distorted bass. Easily one of my favorites of this album. 06. "Alone" - This is one of the two melodic songs of the album. It starts off with an acoustic riff that is used and harmonized later in the song with dostprted guitars, and leads to the main riff. The end of the song has a nice, relaxing sweep picking section at the end of it. 07. "Pressures" - This song starts off trippy but afterwards is one breakdown after another. The main riff is awesome and is used in many differen vavriants. In random parts of the song, they decide to put in a harmonized section, which I don't get, but it still sounds cool. 08. "Deliver Me" - This is my favorite song off of the album. So much fun to play on guitar and a great headbanger. The guitars work perfectly with the drums, bass, and the vocals. My favorite part of the song is the clean interlude and the build-up afterwards. It is PERFECT. The vocals, guitar and drums make it sound so unbelievably good. I never thought a build-up could sound so good. 09. "Karma" - Another favorite off of the album. Starts of with a badass drum fill then goes to the main riff. This is a drummer's dream song. The drums sound perfect. My faorite part of the song is the guitar interlude. I nearlt jizzed when I heard it. 10. "Home Is For The Heartless" - The second melodic song off of the album. It features Epitaph founder Brett Gurewitz. I especially like the tapping lick in the middle of the song. It relaxes me every time I hear it. 11. "Hollow" - This song is a remake of "Hollow Man" from their "Don't Close Your Eyes" EP. It features Marshall Lichtenwaldt of The Warriors. I like his interlude in the song. I feel it adds a bit of variety. 12. "Leviathan I" - This song starts off with a riff that changes pans from left to right. It has a lot of good riffs and I really like this song. The breakdown at the end is immensely good. 13. "Set To Destroy" - The last song off of the album. It is 1 minute and 30 seconds of pure insanity. I can just imagine what the crowd does when they play this song. I feel bad for the people who have to clean up. This song just kicks your ass from the start and does an intro, 2 verses, and 2 choruses in 40 seconds. After that the best breakdown of the album plays. It is so simple, yet so powerful. I do not think it's possible to sit down while listening to that breakdown. The song then ends with a repeat of the verse riff. Overall, this album is pretty much perfect. There are a couple of things that could be changed here and there but very good. If it was lost or stolen I would definately buy it again. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Kazooiej
    Didn't like the album at all in the beginning, but i learned to appreciate the good things about the album after a while. Something i really dislike about Deep Blue is their guitar tone on the album. The crunchy guitar tones in Horizons and Killing With A Smile were one of the reasons i liked Parkway Drive when i first heard about them and the tone on Deep Blue just isn't as good as the tone on Horizons.