Horizons review by Parkway Drive

• Released: Oct 8, 2007
Parkway Drive: Horizons

Parkway Drive's second full-length album titled "Horizons" is a masterpiece in the metalcore genre of music. The bands sound has not greatly differed from the fast-paced, heavily distorted and overall brutal sound of their previous album "Killing with a Smile" except for a noticeable change in the vocals as well as a marked improvement in the technical side of things in the recording studio. The riffs are brilliant and ingenious, they never seem repetitive.

The lyrics are what you would expect from Parkway Drive and rather cliche, basically a follow-on from "Killing With A Smile" with talk about despair and angst. One highlight of the album was the change in the vocals which seem so much deeper and fuller, one of the first impressions was this guy really knows how to scream and growl! The lyrics fit perfectly with the music as do the vocals. 01. Begin - personally I'm not a fan of adding these short instrumentals anywhere on an album but I guess this gives the album a kind of epic feel. 02. The Siren's Song - one of the better songs on the album with awesome riffs and this is where you really notice the changes in the vocals and his growl. I was slightly disappointed with this song being in a loosely verse-chorus form but was surprised with the great chorus. 03. Feed Them To The Pigs - a great fast paced song that doesn't really slow down till the very end. 04. Carrion - one of my favorites on the album, vocally superb and great chorus. 05. Five Months - a awesome riff followed by some great vocals. 06. Boneyards - this was the first song released on Parkway's MySpace if I'm not mistaken and I didn't necessarily like it then but it grows on you after a few listens. 07. Idols And Anchors - one of the better songs on the album with a crappy beginning but soon changes with a high-pitched scream into something hardcore. The chorus made me want to reach for the guitar and play, the lyrics are in perfect harmony with the music. 08. Moments Of Oblivion - a short kind of interlude but with some background vocals and great guitar (reached for the guitar again). I usually detest these interludes but this one I enjoyed. 09. Breaking Point - this song really picks up the pace, and has one of Parkways rare solo's. The lyrics are great, I still have the lyrics in my head 2 weeks onwards. 10. Dead Man's Chest - could probably be compared to Mutiny (maybe because of the pirate imagery. Very brutal and alive and a great song. 11. Frostbite - one of my favorites again, awesome beginning and they carry this out through the whole song. One the best chorus's and one of the rare songs where he does some talking. 12. Horizons - a wonderful song to end in, starts with some picking and can basically be summed up with the imagery in the word Horizons.

These guys from Byron Bay have a unique skill to be able to add just enough variation to stop it from being repetitive but still get your heart going. Parkway Drive have proved they are one of the worlds best metalcore bands with "Horizons" and most certainly Australia's best. With ever listen you start to pick up more of the lyrics and notice the beautifully brutal riffs (I did 17 listens of the album in 2days, don't worry I'm getting treatment). I downloaded this album in full and in great quality over a month before it's actual release but I will also buy it, if it where to be stolen I would track down the culprit and sodomize them, don't worry I'm getting treatment. I recommend this album for any fan of metal or hardcore or metalcore but make sure to give it a few listens before you judge it because it takes a while to get over the feeling that the guitarist is strumming all the strings open as fast and hard as he can.

phalliccymbals
    Well actually I should be thanking Parkway Drive. The promoter of metal-core, hardcore, emo and screamo is never putting on another underage gig at either the Tiv or the Arena, probably because the QLD police won't chaperon all the little kiddies at their concerts after that night. Meaning both those venues have extra slots open for real bands, for audiences comprised of adults who go to concerts to see concerts, not see concerts and act like tools at the expense of the venue where there is no alcohol for sale to subsidise (only $8 cans of red bull). At the end of the day, those kids just ruined their own shit.
    phalliccymbals
    MetalFan4Life
    i would kill any fuker that stole this albu off me. It is so amazing. also, if they stole KWAS, id castrate them first the i would make them eat them. they are 2 of the most amazing album in the world. do NOT download these albums. they are too good for it
    boyan89
    one of the best albus i have heard..and i think it is better than KWAS because they improved everything..but KWAS is still a favourite of mine..and this band is soo original..
    mik_skoo
    yeh i seen em for free in wollongong and at the round house for $20 which shows they are good lads who arnt in it for the money and just wanna play 4 the fans i also think this album is better the killing with a smile
    alex z
    man parkway drive is the best the tuesday concert at the roundhouse was in fukn sane it was the shit they opened witht the sirens song wooooo
    TheSantaClaws
    .:SMASH:. : I haven't heard it yet, but if it lives up to the epicness (is that a word?) to killing with a smile by half, im gonna ****in LOVE IT. but i dont think it can...but i dunno..just something was really special about those songs....ill get it this afternoon. but honestly, you don't even have to like any sort of metal or heavy material to enjoy parkway. if you go to one of their shows you can't say you didn't enjoy it, because you can just feel in the atmosphere how special it really is...you wont understand till you see em.. but then again last time i saw em it was 5 bux to see the show, and now they're playin for 50. so maybe their egos have stepped up or something?"""""
    just for the record, im seeing parkway drive on tuesday for the same price i saw them almost two years ago. so no they havent upped their egos or whatever. if they have a more expensive ticket price, it is probably a more expensive venue for them to play.
    wiggo17
    parkway ****ing rock AND they go off live dont bag it till u tried it its a ****in sick cd and they are a mad bunch of lads
    pengudapenguin
    These guys kind of disappointed me last night with their show @ the uni of new south wales ... i didnt hear ANY vocals, ANY guitar ... i just heard a shitload of bass and id had enough of it but stayed anyway because its parkway drive. The start of Carrion sounded basically like static and the show sounded like a large jackhammer. Someone needs to be killed
    12shinn21
    guitarist_with_ wrote: In all reality these guys suck, theyre emo.
    You know nothing. Also barely anyone got arrested the other night for dancing, the majority of arrests were for refusing to follow police orders, and i even saw a couple for jaywalking. I nearly got arrested for waiting for my lift...
    hamsy_is_tall
    Awesome guys, this new album is brutal! good to see they've gone out on a limb this time and gave this album everything, not too say the last wasnt sensational too! awesome guitaring and rippin drums... 10/10 from me.
    SL!!!
    Metalcore bands arent striving to deliver the next Top 40 single, but it would have been great to hear a few more songs like Frostbite, which put as much emphasis on melody as it did intensity/speed.
    NO. Metalcore was never about melody. Neither was hardcore. Did Converge have to have huge sections of singing? No. And they still managed to be epic.
    bearded-bastard
    phalliccymbals : This music is pretty awful. Would usually just ignore it except for the effect it has in inciting its teenage fan base, who managed to fight dance their way into handcuffs the other night then cried police brutality. If any band in history is responsible for its listeners' violent behavior, it's this one.
    hahaha! neck up sook.....
    Black-Goat
    this new album is so brutal.. i was thinking that they would change their style but.. they only get better =)!
    GTarJggrnot
    I saw Parkway Drive live at Warped Tour this year. It was the most amazing stuff i've ever heard. Like...their entire set was just one massive breakdown. HAHA I took a girl with me to that and she mostly listens to rap, and she thought Parkway Drive was awesome and told me she would go see them again.
    Stretch_Wilson
    it is a good album but there are a few minor problems that limit the audience the band address, which is not a good position for the band to take with the support side of things. the new heaviness adds a nice touch to the solos on the tracks recorded even if it has so many different rythms throughout the songs.
    _-Skeletor-_
    I,d just like to say parkway drive kick ass, i saw them last night and they were so tight and involved the crowd great. A circle pit took up the whole venue, quite mad. On horizons, fast, punchy, aggressive, great album.
    Jester.Race
    Sadly, I missed Parkway at Warped...they opened (like I knew they would), and my friends didn't want to get there until 2 o clock because they wanted to drink heavily before a mid-day mid-summer 100 degree day outdoor concert event. Retards made me miss them...
    Jester.Race
    If another person refers to metal as brutal around here, I'm going to kill them. Not myself, but the offender using that ****ing word to describe metal. Enough is enough. Parkway Drive's debut was sick, although a bit repetitive. Many of the songs sounded the same by the end of the album, but there was a lot of great stuff going on. And the singer needs a little bit of range in his growling. I will pick this up as soon as I see it
    .:SMASH:.