Horizons review by Parkway Drive

• Released: Oct 8, 2007
Parkway Drive: Horizons

Parkway Drive, the ruthless Australian hardcore unit and arguably the best produced by the country return to the stage to try and top their first full length, Killing With A Smile. Not an easy task by any means but Parkway Drive have managed to create an Australian Hardcore masterpiece with Horizons. Parkway have created brutal, crushing breakdowns and riffs as well as melodic leads and an impressive rhythm section. Production is amazing but when Adam D is involved, you can hardly be surprised. Some of the melodic leads and solos rarely seen by Parkway really show the talents of Jeff Ling and Luke Kilpatrick ( guitarists). Bass is non existent but the Double Bass of drummer Jeff Gordon definitely makes an impact. Vocals hardly stray away from the typical metal core growl but Winston McCall executes them so well, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Lyrics seem to talk about the end of the world/global warming/the apocalypse mostly which a few tracks branching out from the normal. Winston's scream is one of the best I have heard in Metal core. It is low and he has a nice growl but he is totally decipherable. On songs like Carrion, he almost adopts a clean scream because every word is crystal clear, like he is just singing it. Examples: Carrion: in a moment I'm lost. Dying from the inside. Her eyes take me away. Tear me apart from the inside out. I think the best lyrics in relation to music is in the title track. In time. And so it ends. In time it all finds an End. Embrace our last empty horizon. Underneath those lyrics there is a huge tapping line followed by harmonized leads which just screams as the Epic album closer.

Parkway Drive is not the most original act but they have a lot of talent and are really trying to branch out in a somewhat generic genre where bands are dime a dozen. Some of the most impressive songs are: The Sirens Song, Carrion, Five Months, Breaking Point, Frostbite and Horizons. I love the vocals and the instrumental section of the bands ( and the non existent bass guitar). I love how the band pummels you to keep you interested, the don't give you a moment to breathe. But for some people this would be a turn off as well. Breakdowns sound the same-ish and the album is really short, clocking in at around 38-40 minutes. I would definitely buy this one again if I lost it as it will be haled as the best metal album Australia has produced. Rock On, Parkway Drive.

airbrndeathroll
    Well actually I should be thanking Parkway Drive. The promoter of metal-core, hardcore, emo and screamo is never putting on another underage gig at either the Tiv or the Arena, probably because the QLD police won't chaperon all the little kiddies at their concerts after that night. Meaning both those venues have extra slots open for real bands, for audiences comprised of adults who go to concerts to see concerts, not see concerts and act like tools at the expense of the venue where there is no alcohol for sale to subsidise (only $8 cans of red bull). At the end of the day, those kids just ruined their own shit.
    WTF. Are you like some 60 year old **** tard that just comes on here to trash bands you dont like? oh and they have extra slots open for "real bands".aww yay that means you might get to see jonas brothers.and who goes to a show and not act like a tool? who goes to see a band and just do what they normally do? those "tools" are the ones who care most about music. **** off you ****ing faggot.
    Yoyo Of Death
    i saw these guys a few days ago in Newcastle, the bass was thunderous, the guitars were distorted as with practically no static at all and the vocals were better live than on the album, the mosh was crazy, a guy broke his leg, and a kid left 10 minutes into the concert after being mistakenly knocked out by some boozed up tool, no walls of death, but plenty of circle moshes. i jumped up on stage and jumped of the speakers into the crowd. the best parkway gig ive been to yet
    parkwayhero
    Patrijz
    parkwayhero wrote: 07. Idols And Anchors - one of the better songs on the album with a crappy beginning but soon changes with a high-pitched scream into something hardcore. The chorus made me want to reach for the guitar and play, the lyrics are in perfect harmony with the music. crappy beginning? you must be kidding
    I'm loving it too! It's so melodic, but it keeps the heavy rithmic style as well, perfect combination! One of my favorites for sure!
    Skint Out
    >___>; the intro is the same as the chorus only slower and without the fill.