Killing With a Smile review by Parkway Drive

• Released: Sep 12, 2005
Parkway Drive: Killing With a Smile

This band has been around for more than 10 years and I honestly think they deserve the upmost respect for the sh-t they've done. They started as a band in Byron Bay, a small little town in Australia where there was no music scene whatsoever. These guys are my favorite band and have truly carved a way for other bands behind them. "Killing With a Smile" is a classic metalcore record and if you have heard of them, this album and haven't heard them, listen to this album right now. This sh-t kicks f--king a-s and is the perfect combination of all hardcore genres and punk rock. This album was heavy af and had some of my favorite songs ever made on it. Winston McCall is an amazing vocalist. I'm not saying he has the best range because he has close to none actually but he is so original and it fits the music perfectly. You can tell that in this album his screams are pretty novice but he makes it sound so easy and good. I can honestly say that Parkway Drive knows how to do flawless breakdowns and I haven't heard a band yet that can do them like them. They're perfect and every one fits the song. Idk exactly what equipment they used on this album but it was perfect and I'm so glad they used what they did. The sound quality of this album is perfect and I have nothing bad to say about it. I'll go through the tracks and tell you what I think (even though I love every track and this band is f--king amazing):

01. "Gimme a D" - this is a bad a-s way to start off the album. It's intro with the guitar is amazing and I love it. I don't prefer this breakdown as much as other just because I like slow breakdown that are more intricate but its still f--king sick and the solo is amazing.

02. "Anasasis (Xenophontis)" - if I had to pick a favorite I would probably pick this one. The fade in from "Gimme a D" to this is amazing and gives me chills and its super cool. Its intro riff is heavy and the verse riff/breakdown is like my favorite riff in the whole album almost. And the outro riff that Jeff does is the coolest guitar work on the album IMO.

03. "Pandora" - this song seriously makes me feel like I'm surfing and it gives me an awesome feeling. The breakdown is sick and reminds me of like "Don't Close Your Eyes" breakdowns and older stuff which I love because of how raw it is.

04. "Romance is Dead" - this song is something else. Everyone knows this one if you listen to Parkway. It's breakdown is on point and the line right before it, "So cry me a f--king river, b-tch!" just makes you wanna kill people haha! And the ending sound effects are like my favorite part haha.

05. "Guns for Show, Knives for a Pro" - every metalcore band has that song that just goes f--king nuts and is a breakdown the whole time and has blast beats through the whole thing. This is "that" song. You can headbang the entire time and never stop and it would work.

06. "Blackout" - this is another one like the last except a cooler breakdown and not breakdowns the whole time. This song is f--king sick.

07. "Picture Perfect, Pathetic" - when he screams, "LIFELESS!" right before the breakdown, get ready to go f--king nuts because its f--king dope and ya. I can't even hahaha!

08. "It's Hard to Speak Without a Tongue" - this is where they calm it down for a second and go with a slower pace song than the last three. Its intro is pretty relaxing and you feel like you're on a cruise and its awesome and the the next riff, you can see the punk influence showing. The solo at the end is amazing and then fades into "Mutiny."

09. "Mutiny" - this song has one of the heaviest riffs on the album and somehow I wouldn't consider it a breakdown because their breakdowns are even heavier haha. This song is just evil and gets you ready for the last two songs.

10. "Smoke 'Em if Ya Got 'Em (re-recorded version)" - this song was awesome on "Don't Close Your Eyes" and then it got even better on this album! Classics are always good.

11. "A Cold Day in Hell" - perfect way to end the album. Breakdown 10/10, verse riff 10/10, album 10/10. F--k the haters mate! This album is bad a-s. Listen to is now.

The lyrics match up on every song in this whole album. They aren't anything too influential but they're crazy and its just a big "f--k you" from a young band. Winston totally killed it and I loved the lyrics. If you're going for some deeper meaning lyrics, there are some tracks that have that but for the most part they're just there to be bad a-s and get you hyped and headbang hella hard haha. Winston, like I said before doesn't really have all that big of a range but, he makes everything sound good somehow and although his growls sound the same in every song, they don't at the same time. He's just original and I love it.

Parkway Drive is definitely a must listen if you're into this genre of music. You just can't go wrong with them. Their albums just keep getting better and better so if you like this one then you'll love the rest. I didn't hate anything about this album. The guitars were perfect, the bass wasn't nonexistent, I love how Ben Gordon hits the drums as fast and hard as he can but they still sound amazing. Winston is always doing good on vocals so no complaints there. The most impressive tracks are probably, "Anasasis (Xenophontis)," "Romance Is Dead," "Mutiny" and "Picture Perfect, Pathetic." If it were lost or stolen, I would commit mass murder because of how awesome it is ahha. Get this sh-t mate!