The DVD [DVD] review by Parkway Drive

• Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 8
Parkway Drive: The DVD [DVD]

Parkway Drive are at the forefront of Australian hardcore. Their harmonized guitars, pummeling drums, and in your face breakdowns are captured beautifully by Adam Dutkiewicz in the studio. The DVD has finally been released in 2009 after years of relentless touring in almost every place humanly possible. It has already reached gold status in Australia which is no surprise as the band is hardworking to say the least. From Beijing to Brisbane, there is no venue that Parkway will refuse to play. The sound on the DVD varies from the lull of the beaches at Byron Bay, narrative from the band members, and studio/live versions of the band's songs.

Content — 9
This DVD takes the viewers from Parkway Drive in their hardcore garage hey day to Parkway Drive in all their glory. From band member changes to descriptions of life on the road, the reality of touring is exposed with open honesty. There are fun days surfing in California and rough days with no gigs in Germany. These boys truly love the outdoors. It was delightful to see them in pastiche scenes playing all over the world. Watching Jia drop the pick live was unexpected and hilarious. When the audience replies with a unified "CARRION" after the intro of the title song, all of Parkway Drive's efforts are summed up in one perfect moment of truth.

Production Quality — 8
The production quality is a step up from most band DVD's. A notch above the I Killed The Prom Queen DVD for sure in terms of quality. Guys with video cameras attached to their heads leaping into mosh pits. That's state of the art. That's f--king technology right there.

This DVD is a must see for any Parkway fan. It's hard to tell viewers what was the most impressive moment. You can your worries and triumphs in the band themselves because they are extremely down to earth, modest, and honest people. This is a band that won't sacrifice great friends for strangers that are more musically adept. Having seen them live I know they deliver musically with terrific chemistry.

Amuro Jay
    Yes, BTBAM are better musically, but their DVD was very lacking in certain areas. Did you even read what I said properly?
    Josherz
    Great band.Amazing dvd.Great documentary.No music videos which bites.Get this dvd NOW!!!!!
    jacobsmolik1
    This DVD is amazing. I'd recommend it to any metalhead or just plain out music fan simply because of the journey it shows. It's very uplifting and really made me wanna bust my ass to start a band and make it in th music industry. PWD rocks!
    darcy_guitar
    Drift king77 wrote: Did i read correctly? Did that just say it was better than BTBAM.. FUCK THAT! Parkway are good, but are nothing compared to the genius that is Between the Buried and Me. Are you ****ing joking. How can you even compare the two bands. BTBAM are barely hardcore or metal.
    a7xb4d
    I've heard Parkway Drive once, and from that I've been planning to get some of their music because they're freakin' awesome!!!!!
    darcy_guitar
    Your a fag the DVD is awesome and Parkway Drive's breakdowns are the best I've heard!
    Melkord
    Amazing documentary! Even if you aren't a metal fan, it is still very much worth watching to see what these guys did and went through. I watched it with my girlfriend (who doesn't particularly care for metal) and she enjoyed it as well. And I am going to have to agree with the first reviewer. I live a pretty good life, with lots of friends and family that I love, but these guy definitely grew up in freaking paradise. It will make you insanely jealous.
    93dric
    lol winstons vocals started to break after 2 songs. good show though plenty of energy.
    Amuro Jay
    Anthony1991 wrote: On the first review, when "they go out of time", and you gave it an 8? You cant give a band anything over 6 if they "go out of time" more than like twice if that
    Timing isn't as important if you're giving a kickass performance. Hey, at least they weren't out of time and out of tune like Prom Queen were on their DVD. But hell, Prom Queen still kicked ass.
    Anthony1991
    sic inside
    this was well worth the money i payed for it, and they deffinatly did always have a camera with them. it has the very first show they the played which is ****ing amusing lol it was pretty obvious that thay had never played a show before
    trivium187
    i watched this dvd atleast 20 times now, and its still awesome. and inspiring as hell. i went to the adelaide show, where they rocked up late and everything, and they still put on an amazing show. one of my faourite bands for sure. and the DVD slays promqueens dvd, iktpq's isnt nearly as entertaining and it doesnt keep u completely interested like parkways.. parkways dvd is probebly one of my favourite music dvds iv ever seen, and i own alot.. u dont even have to be a fan of the genre to enjoy this.
    Amuro Jay
    Nirvanarien wrote: How is that a good thing? Now im not a PD fan or anything, but aren't hollow vocals a bad thing no matter what?(dry isn't that important)
    Well, maybe hollow isn't the right word. Dry is, but maybe what I was trying to say was sharp. On record he's sharp, while on DVD he was kinda mushy.
    Nirvanarien
    Whereas on record they're very dry and hollow
    larrytheguitar
    I'm always open to checking out band DVD's. I love it when the DVD's aren't exactly directed to just the fans of the band you know? A friend of mine who hates Lamb of God LOVES their DVD Walk With Me In Hell. I'm not a fan of Parkway Drive, but this DVD might change my mind; definitely checking this out.
    guy_tebache
    I went to school with most of these guys a couple of years ahead of me. I saw them play one of their first gigs at the Byron Youth centre, to about 50 people. They're pretty good live. And yeah, Byron Bay is kind of a paradise apart from all the tourists.
    some.will.seek
    The band members all grew up together in Byron Bay, Australia, which by the looks of it, is it's own kind of paradise
    Yeah, Byron Bay is a pretty top notch spot here in Australia. One of the best beaches in the country. Anyway, yeah, I'm keen to check this out. Apparently the 'ex-bassist' used to go to my school
    sbinlb
    even if you dont like the band all that much its still an interesting dvd to watch. they're probably my favorite band now.
    Rockin Fendrman
    fantastic DVD, i'd always sort of liked the band, then i watched this and i fkn love them hahaha AUSSIE PRIDE!
    Eurasian_C
    This was an awesome DVD. It had a great live show, great documentary, and was just very well done all around.
    justjoshuaaa
    One of the best DVD's I've ever seen. I've watched it over a hundred times and can quote in from heart. If you're any form of into Parkway Drive or into hardcore, go buy this DVD.
    Drift king77