The DVD [DVD] Review

Production Quality: 8.5
 8.9
 8.7
The DVD [DVD] Reviewed by: Amuro Jay, on december 25, 2009

Sound: The DVD from Parkway Drive is a documentary detailing the Australian metalcore band's rise to fame. Along with the documentary comes a professional recording of the band's entire performance at The Roundhouse in Sydney, Australia on the Sweat Fest Tour 2008. The sound quality is pretty good, everything is very well balanced and audible. Winston's vocals sound pretty different live, though. Whereas on record they're very dry and hollow (which is great in my opinion), his vocals are very throaty and thick on the DVD, almost gurgly. The playing during the live set has it's ups and downs, though. In the beginning of the set, Winston's vocals sound great, but the rest of the band seems to have a bit of trouble keeping time with each other (which is painfully obvious during some of the early breakdowns). As the set goes on, however everything seems to reach a state of equilibrium. The vocals keep going strong, and the band is in the groove and running like a well oiled machine. Timing improves greatly. Winston's voice does begin to falter towards the end of the setlist, but with his vocal style, that is expected. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a great DVD. In order to accurately sum this up, I'd have to say it's a cross between This Is Who We Are from As I Lay Dying and Majesty from The Black Dahlia Murder. It takes the best qualities out of each of those DVDs (great direction and lots of laughs) and combines them into one memorable package. No matter how impressive some things on this documentary are, I don't think it's as impressive as seeing Michael Crafter (from I Killed the Prom Queen) saying something nice for once. That blew me away. If Crafter approves of something, that's a sign. More specifically, it's a sign that you need to do yourself a favor and watch this DVD. Even if you aren't a fan of the band, I guarantee that the documentary will keep you entertained. // 9

The DVD [DVD] Reviewed by: Perpetual Burn, on december 25, 2009

Sound: Parkway Drive are at the forefront of Australian hardcore. Their harmonized guitars, pummeling drums, and in your face breakdowns are captured beautifully by Adam Dutkiewicz in the studio. The DVD has finally been released in 2009 after years of relentless touring in almost every place humanly possible. It has already reached gold status in Australia which is no surprise as the band is hardworking to say the least. From Beijing to Brisbane, there is no venue that Parkway will refuse to play. The sound on the DVD varies from the lull of the beaches at Byron Bay, narrative from the band members, and studio/live versions of the band's songs. // 9

Overall Impression: This DVD is a must see for any Parkway fan. It's hard to tell viewers what was the most impressive moment. You can your worries and triumphs in the band themselves because they are extremely down to earth, modest, and honest people. This is a band that won't sacrifice great friends for strangers that are more musically adept. Having seen them live I know they deliver musically with terrific chemistry. // 10

Comments