Vice Grip review by Parkway Drive

• Released: Jun 8, 2015
Parkway Drive: Vice Grip

Down under hardcore giants Parkway Drive have returned with a single from their upcoming record titled "Ire" out September 25th on Epitaph Records. The band has released "Vice Grip" as an appetizer to what I am sure as we approach the release date will be a highly anticipated album (I know I'll be looking forward to it). The sound of the track is not much of a departure from Parkway's previous efforts in "Atlas," however the track has a little more melody in the guitars than previous records which initially I was not too excited about, however as the song went on I grew to like the sound. During the bridge\breakdown portion of the song, the guys dish out some lower note riffs in their usual fashion. The recording sound is fantastic as well. The tone of the guitars is above par from what a usual hardcore release might have. The only complaint I have is that the kick drum sounds a little strange during some of the fills. The mix is still really good, though I would tweak the kick drum sound personally.

Lyrics have never really been the strongest aspect of the genre in my opinion however vocalist Winston McCall has quite the knack for delivering one hell of a performance. The meter of the writing (I am sure) will incite some awesome crowd responses when played live. The lyrics are nothing special really, but they give the some an anthem like feel full of "Get up Get ups" and "Light the Fires, Keep the flames alive." The track also features some very well performed group vocals. The guys are actually singing a note instead of just yelling for the sake of yelling. The vocals play off the music nicely, overall I think this is a great single to get out at this point in the game for Parkway Drive.

When asked about the record, "This is the album for us," claims vocalist Winston McCall. "Every single step of the way, whenever there was gamble to take, we took the biggest one we could." I am certainly looking forward to this release. The sound of "Vice Grip" does not sound all that different from "Atlas," but if anything this single shows that the band is ever improving their craft and becoming more proficient with their instruments. The music video is pretty neat too, overall this was a great move on their part to get a good track out long before the album is released to peak the interest of the people.

Fatewhip
    Hmmm I'm not going to judge until the whole album comes out, but it sound nothing like Parkway Drive besides the bridge, and that's only slightly similar. To be positive, while the lead guitarist's licks are quite cheesy, there are a lot more of them.
    vguitars3577
    I had a feeling after "Deep Blue" was released that Parkway Drive's music would start going downhill. I thought "Atlas" was okay but I did not enjoy this song very much.
    vppark2
    Not trying to act like a troll, but those lyrics already deserve a 1. Theyre just so overused in this genre. Sound is ok, but its very repetitive. These guys can do so much better. Overall, I give this song a 4/5 at most just bc the lyrics are bloody awful. I expect that shit from Of Mice & Men, We Came As Romans, and Asking Alexandria. The rest of the album better be better bc this is the first time they have truly disappointed me.
    LeeSmellyFinger
    Sounds like a "metalcore" take on cheesey anthemic 80s rock. Drumming is mega simple, the lyrics are pretty basic in message and guitars are all kinds of cheese with a mega simple cheese rhythm. Not to say this is all a bad thing, but its certainly a huge departure from where they were. I guess its hard to be angry all the time when you've got it made and living the life. Well played to them.
    Metallion181
    Agreed it sounds like a 'radio' song, tame and accessible. The main thing I've enjoyed from parkway is their song structures and breakdowns, and this song doesn't really deliver and I hope this is just the 'release a single' factor.
    jman99
    Seriously like others have said. Parkway Drive can do better. Hoping the album is not like this.
    2martoes
    Being a fan of Inflames I enjoyed this song its stepping away from the "core" sound a lot though, with most of us being guitar players its not hard to understand why writing the same style album over and over would become unsatisfying to the players. In the end we should write what we would like to hear and enjoy playing, then be prepared for the spirit crushing backlash! Cheese is so fun to play!
    vppark2
    Btw, there are still a few great bands in what I would rather call "metalcore" department with great lyrics. Id say up and coming band Silent Planet does it best, but August Burns Red is just as good. Architects, Beartooth, and even newer Senses Fail I think do it best bc their lyrics are more personal, rather than this "I won't give in. I'll fight for my life." crap.
    cemerson2012
    I'll level with you on that, yes the lyrics aren't ground breaking but given the genre/history of the band it's par for the course. The rating I gave was more for the sound of the group vocals and overall presentation of the vocals. Maybe UG needs to divide this section.
    Sam Rulez D00d
    Beartooth's lyrics are cringe-worthy. The overly-positive glittery thing sounds so disingenuous and I'm surprised you mentioned them since it's almost the exact style as this Parkway Drive song! If you want "metalcore" with fantastic lyrics, I would recommend Norma Jean to you. I think people have forgotten that lyrics shouldn't just be about the meaning or how personal they are, but they should also have a good aesthetic. These newer bands are setting the bar very low.
    Patrijz
    This song is just confirming that I don't like this band anymore. Live it's mayhem (in a good way), but the newer stuff (everything after Horizons) just isn't what I like anymore. I know it's cliche, but I think it's good they are developing their sound. It just doesn't comply with me developing my taste.
    MetalRock4ever
    I never expected this to be as uplifting as it turned out to be. Was surprised at that. It's a pretty good song too (at least they managed to do it right), though there were aspects which were slacking. From the above comments, the lyrics were ok, but I think the drumming was a bit weak too. Still going to check out the album, they've been pretty consistent (in a good way), with their past albums. (Didn't know UG now reviews singles.)
    altllan
    ahem, parkway drive have already done everything there is to do with their own style of music. with 3 albums that cannot be topped, they were always going to go downhill from there, as they did with Atlas bands mentioned in these posts like August Burns Red as being so called bar parkway should meet is laughable, they were the standard this genre was measured against for so long and ABR were just another mediocre carbon copy of them (abr still are) when they were taking the genre to it musical peak