Vice Grip [Single] Review

Parkway Drive: Vice Grip [Single]
Released: Jun 8, 2015
Genre: Melodic Metalcore
Label: Epitaph Records
The band has released "Vice Grip" as an appetizer to their upcoming record titled "Ire."
 6.3
 7.7
 4.9
 3,719
review (1) 18 comments vote for this album:
Vice Grip [Single] Reviewed by: cemerson2012, on june 11, 2015

Sound: Down under hardcore giants Parkway Drive have returned with a single from their upcoming record titled "Ire" out September 25th on Epitaph Records. The band has released "Vice Grip" as an appetizer to what I am sure as we approach the release date will be a highly anticipated album (I know I'll be looking forward to it). The sound of the track is not much of a departure from Parkway's previous efforts in "Atlas," however the track has a little more melody in the guitars than previous records which initially I was not too excited about, however as the song went on I grew to like the sound. During the bridge\breakdown portion of the song, the guys dish out some lower note riffs in their usual fashion. The recording sound is fantastic as well. The tone of the guitars is above par from what a usual hardcore release might have. The only complaint I have is that the kick drum sounds a little strange during some of the fills. The mix is still really good, though I would tweak the kick drum sound personally. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics have never really been the strongest aspect of the genre in my opinion however vocalist Winston McCall has quite the knack for delivering one hell of a performance. The meter of the writing (I am sure) will incite some awesome crowd responses when played live. The lyrics are nothing special really, but they give the some an anthem like feel full of "Get up Get ups" and "Light the Fires, Keep the flames alive." The track also features some very well performed group vocals. The guys are actually singing a note instead of just yelling for the sake of yelling. The vocals play off the music nicely, overall I think this is a great single to get out at this point in the game for Parkway Drive. // 7

Overall Impression: When asked about the record, "This is the album for us," claims vocalist Winston McCall. "Every single step of the way, whenever there was gamble to take, we took the biggest one we could." I am certainly looking forward to this release. The sound of "Vice Grip" does not sound all that different from "Atlas," but if anything this single shows that the band is ever improving their craft and becoming more proficient with their instruments. The music video is pretty neat too, overall this was a great move on their part to get a good track out long before the album is released to peak the interest of the people. // 8

Comments