Truant Wave review by Patrick Stump

• Released: Feb 22, 2011
Patrick Stump: Truant Wave

For someone known as a guitarist, this album contains very little guitar, so don't be disappointed - you have been warned. It can be heard on a track or two, but takes no prominent roles. Musical fans of Fall Out Boy will doubtlessly be unhappy with this to an extent, as the music is extremely unlike anything that the band ever produced. Saying that, you can hear SOME similarities when compared to the Infinity on High album (which contains some keyboard/synth influenced sections scattered here and there). The entire album is heavily driven by a R'n'B/Dance vibe. Taking into account the lack of guitars, most of everything else is pretty damned impressive. To my knowledge, Stump plays most (if not all) of the instruments, which includes various percussion, drums, bass, keyboards and vocals - all of which he plays to some great degree of success. As generally a Rock musician, the album isn't something I'd instantly take to, but when you take the time to really appreciate it, it's extremely well written throughout. If you can't rock out to it, I believe you can at least appreciate that.

In this area, you can expect Fall Out Boy styled lyrics/vocals (well, obviously). The lyrics are written in a much more... 'classy' manner than those of Fall Out Boy, however. By 'Classy', I mean the rhyming patterns etc. are much more appreciable, whereas FOB's often seemed more like slightly disjointed poems than songs. The themes behind the lyrics are often the same though. The vocals, being Stump, are much what you'd expect. His impressive, highly recognizable style is somewhat like that of Michael Jackson (in terms of range and phrasing). I personally believe him to be one of the most prominent male vocalists of the last decade, but that's personal opinion. I guess that may be the reason why many artists have had him as a guest on their songs (artists of which include New Found Glory, Gym Class Heroes and Motion City Soundtrack). I could be wrong, but the harmony vocals do sound auto-tuned. This fits the style of music perfectly, but again being from a genre of musical snobbery I find it hard to like. If you can get past that and just enjoy it for what it is, it's real interesting! There are a number of guest vocalists on here too - they're mainly rappers. Again, something that Rock-FOB fans will have to get past!

Like I've said, nothing like Fall Out Boy at all. It's all Stump. The one thing that is kinda annoying about this EP for me is the fact that it's an iTunes purchase only - you can't buy this in the shops as of yet. I personally like having a hard copy of an album, but that's just me. If this album was anybody else, I'd probably not bother giving it the time of day, but I've always been a fan of Stump. On the whole, I'm glad I've given it a listen. I think it's a brilliant experience to hear him outside of that Rock-Punk comfort zone.

BenOMatic
    I don't think its fair to review this based on Fall Out Boy, since this is, obviously, Stump's solo project. Also, Fall Out Boy fans need to grow a pair and like music as for what it is, not because it's from Fall Out Boy. Music is good ol' music. you like it because it's beautiful and it moves you, not because you think it's cool and the bassist of the band is "hot". I've heard that Patrick's done all the work for this album-he played all the instruments and sang the whole thing too. That explains why there was little guitar, then. Patrick's a real renaissance man-dude plays every instrument, so the musicality of the album shouldn't just be judged from the guitar playing, but also from every instrument you hear in this EP. It's been a long time coming, but good job on this one! Patrick definitely owned it this time and he just showed his own style after the FOB break-up. Been a fan ever since I was a kid, and will be until the day I die.