Get Out Of My Yard review by Paul Gilbert

• Released: Jul 17, 2006
Paul Gilbert: Get Out Of My Yard

This is the first (hopefully of many) instrumental albums by guitarist Paul Gilbert (Racer X, Mr. Big). This album is pretty polished, mixing a number of different styles. You get hard rock tracks you'd expect from a metal man such as Gilbert, songs like "Curse of Castle Dragon" and "You Kids". You also get softer songs, such as "Twelve Twelve". Thrown in the mix are classic rock sounding pentatonic licks (Full Tank), and even progressive, somewhat niche songs like "The Echo Song", which almost feels like a techno track due to his use of delay. This is possibly one of the best instrumental rock albums out there, and a great place to start for those instrumental skeptics out there.

No lyrics, except for when Paul yells "Get out of my yard!" into his pickups at the very end of the title track. His guitar work speaks for itself, though it may not be as vocal as something from Satriani, it still pulls it off. Despite this, there are one or two songs that make you feel like he should have sung over (and he can sing), or made his gutiar work more vocal to keep your attention.

This is a stray from his other solo albums, a more rock focused one. His other ones were mixes of acoustic, pop, and various other styles. Paul is obviously a fan of most types of mainstream music, this being his shot at a straight rock record. To me, the best tracks are "Full Tank", "Hurry Up", "Curse of Castle Dragon", as well that the title track, which is an all out shred fest. I love his tone and overall work on the album I just dislike how one or two songs are a bit boring (Twelve Twelve). I would definitely pick this up again if lost. I highly recommend this for anyone from an avid shred/instrumental fan, to people new to the genre.

wildchild6660
    GEARS_OF_DETH wrote: I LOVE THIS ALBUM ITS THE GREATEST ALBUM ON EARTH BUY IT NOW BUYY IT NOW BUYYY ITTTTT NOWWWWW seriously buy it i listen to this ablum everytime im in the shower
    Must take you a hell of a long time to shower
    Shlecht
    BUY THIS FUCKING ALBUM IF YOU LIKE ROCK AND/OR APPRECIATE INSANE GUITAR PLAYING. ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL.
    GEARS_OF_DETH