Silence Followed By A Deafening Roar review by Paul Gilbert

• Released: Jan 23, 2008
Paul Gilbert: Silence Followed By A Deafening Roar

Paul Gilbert is one of the greatest guitarists of all-time, as well as being one of the guys with the biggest range of sound and styles in his arsenal. This is Paul's second solo instrumental album, a follow up to his last effort, 'Get Out of My Yard'. I'll start off by saying this album is very different from the debut. His sound on this album is a mix of classic rock-style pentatonic work, with the typical neo-classical style thrown in that most of these virtuoso guys work with. It's a pretty upbeat album, a lot of fast paced, "happy" sounding tracks. As always with Paul, there's also a couple of tracks that feel like interludes between these songs, somewhat short, calm tracks. Though it feels a little more generic than his first album, you'll get your money's worth with this album if you're a fan of Paul or all that virtuoso stuff that he's categorized with. It's a fun album, but not to be under looked for it's quality of sheer shred madness. Though it feels a little more generic than his first album.

Again, this is an instrumental record, so you'll have to use your imagination a bit. Paul's one of the guys that pulls the whole vocal-less thing off, despite actually having a decent voice behind him. Though it's a bit cliche, Paul's work really does speak for itself. I'd say it's a tad less vocal than his first solo instrumental album, but it's not nearly to the point of boredom that you'll run into with some other virtuoso guys.

Overall I'd say this is a pretty good album. I was expecting another 'Get Out of My Yard', so I'm a little bit disappointed by my first few listens. I'd say that it's just a hair or two under the caliber set by his debut. I like the title track, "The Gargoyle", and "Paul Vs. Godzilla" the most, they are really solid rock tracks, quite different though from the ones on Get Out of My Yard. I love the thick tone of Paul, one of the best guys tonally out there. I love that it's an upbeat album, and very different from his last album. I dislike that it feels somewhat shorter in some ways, the "experience" doesn't feel as epic or drawn-out as his last album. I would buy it again if I lost it, I recommend it to anyone interested. This is sure to be one of the best albums of the year, even with competition from others such as Satriani's new album.

Shlecht
    album is definitely sick, but i agree, GOOMY was ****ing epic and flawless. some songs on this dont particularly stand out to me though they all show his caliber of ridiculous talent quite distinctly, through all the shredding and what have you. anyone should still pick it up
    squeemishbean
    this was definatley worth buying ... the string skipping arpeggios in norwegian cowbell make me happy everytime i listen ..
    ILoveGuitar07
    I still don't own a PG cd! suprising b/c I own every satriani cd, alot of Johnpetrecci, ect. I just bought space ship one. will have it in a week. I can't wait. If I like it...this ones next!
    harrisonmon
    The best experience, trust me on this, it's why he put them next to eachother. Listen to Suite Modale all the way through, then listen to The Gargoyle, For full effects, do in a dimly lit room while high.
    hugh20
    shamedog wrote: i actually like this album better than GOOMY. Eudaimonia Overture blows my mind every single listen,
    EO is probably the best song ive heard so far, but i got it yesterday and i love it. I plan to get GOOMY soon.
    shamedog
    i actually like this album better than GOOMY. Eudaimonia Overture blows my mind every single listen, and the arpeggio section during norwegian cowbell.. OMG!
    stevenlebeau
    I think this is a great album, just as good as GOOMY. I just hope he doesn't stop singing and writing his power-pop stuff.
    Metal_Militian
    This album is simply oustanding. It displayed the almighty power of Gilbert and his god-like fingers. His tapping skills seem to have no end, listening to "Eudaimonia Overture" it reminds me of the "My Religion" intro from "Burning Organ", Yet seeing him play this gives a much deeper insight into the talent behind these songs. Not dissapointed in any way by this album, goes above expectations.
    thenephilim
    you keep comparing it to Get Out Of My Yard, which in actuality has much more similarity style-wise between tracks than this album, which is actually quite diverse. I think you need to give it a more serious listen.
    hollyroller
    saw Paul at the Allans clinic in Sydney. The highlights form this CD include "Norwegian Cowbell" "I Cannot Tell a Lie" and "The Gargoyle"
    rhcpfan27
    nice review, but i don't think it's more generic, but he's more focused on song writing this time around. i love this cd