Silence Followed By A Deafening Roar Review

artist: Paul Gilbert date: 02/04/2008 category: compact discs

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Paul Gilbert: Silence Followed By A Deafening Roar
Release Date: Jan 23, 2008
Label: Shrapnel
Genres: Instrumental, Heavy Metal
The album features 11 new tracks of his most ferocious, emotional, musical, and creative guitar playing ever.
 9.4
 9.7
review (1) 20 comments vote for this album:
Silence Followed By A Deafening Roar Reviewed by: TJM2482, on february 04, 2008

Sound: Paul Gilbert is one of the greatest guitarists of all-time, as well as being one of the guys with the biggest range of sound and styles in his arsenal. This is Paul's second solo instrumental album, a follow up to his last effort, 'Get Out of My Yard'. I'll start off by saying this album is very different from the debut. His sound on this album is a mix of classic rock-style pentatonic work, with the typical neo-classical style thrown in that most of these virtuoso guys work with. It's a pretty upbeat album, a lot of fast paced, "happy" sounding tracks. As always with Paul, there's also a couple of tracks that feel like interludes between these songs, somewhat short, calm tracks. Though it feels a little more generic than his first album, you'll get your money's worth with this album if you're a fan of Paul or all that virtuoso stuff that he's categorized with. It's a fun album, but not to be under looked for it's quality of sheer shred madness. Though it feels a little more generic than his first album. // 9

Lyrics: Again, this is an instrumental record, so you'll have to use your imagination a bit. Paul's one of the guys that pulls the whole vocal-less thing off, despite actually having a decent voice behind him. Though it's a bit cliche, Paul's work really does speak for itself. I'd say it's a tad less vocal than his first solo instrumental album, but it's not nearly to the point of boredom that you'll run into with some other virtuoso guys. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I'd say this is a pretty good album. I was expecting another 'Get Out of My Yard', so I'm a little bit disappointed by my first few listens. I'd say that it's just a hair or two under the caliber set by his debut. I like the title track, "The Gargoyle", and "Paul Vs. Godzilla" the most, they are really solid rock tracks, quite different though from the ones on Get Out of My Yard. I love the thick tone of Paul, one of the best guys tonally out there. I love that it's an upbeat album, and very different from his last album. I dislike that it feels somewhat shorter in some ways, the "experience" doesn't feel as epic or drawn-out as his last album. I would buy it again if I lost it, I recommend it to anyone interested. This is sure to be one of the best albums of the year, even with competition from others such as Satriani's new album. // 9

Comments