Days Of Speed review by Paul Weller

• Released: Oct 8, 2001
Paul Weller: Days Of Speed

The sound is the best tat can be expected, considering that it is live, but that doesn't phase me (or any other listener for that matter) because of the beautiful acoustic sound that Weller gives. I find it hard to believe that there's only one thing playing thoughout the whole album, and that's Weller on his acoustic. Usually it takes a lot more than one instrument to make me listen hard to something, but this CD had me transfixed from beggining to end. There's some fantastic acoustic versions of classic Jam and Style Council songs on here too, which is nice, because it shows that rock and funk classics can be converted for those who like more "easy listening" songs.

Some of the lyrics could have been a little better on here, but that's how they have been written and, I suppose, they work. They do seem to come into harmony with the guitar to create a magnificent blend which you can't find from anyone else other than Paul Weller. That voice and that guitar are the unbeatable team which no other musical icons can challenge.

I never really took interest in Paul Weller, untill I listened to this CD. In my honest oppinion, he's fantastic on acoustic and he really grabs the attention of the audience and holds it. The only thing I can say is that he was always better as a man of The Jam. Regardless of the fact that The Jam were better than Weller, I think that this album shows Weller's true colours as a master of the acoustic guitar, and that should be respected by people of any background.

dave-h
    the jam wernt better than weller,his best work has come from his first solo album up to the present day
    belavista man
    Listening back on this album, the material's great and it's well played, but it's not very interesting compared to how it could have been, I guess...