Days Of Speed Review

artist: Paul Weller date: 06/28/2007 category: compact discs
Paul Weller: Days Of Speed
Release Date: Oct 8, 2001
Label: Independiente
Genres: Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, British Trad Rock, Pop/Rock, Singer/Songwriter
Days Of Speed, recorded live and acoustic at various shows during Paul Weller's 2001 global tour, will do little to further his standing among critics, who have a blind spot when it comes to Paul Weller.
 9.2
 9.7
 8.6
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Days Of Speed Reviewed by: belavista man, on june 28, 2007

Sound: The sound is the best tat can be expected, considering that it is live, but that doesn't phase me (or any other listener for that matter) because of the beautiful acoustic sound that Weller gives. I find it hard to believe that there's only one thing playing thoughout the whole album, and that's Weller on his acoustic. Usually it takes a lot more than one instrument to make me listen hard to something, but this CD had me transfixed from beggining to end. There's some fantastic acoustic versions of classic Jam and Style Council songs on here too, which is nice, because it shows that rock and funk classics can be converted for those who like more "easy listening" songs. // 10

Lyrics: Some of the lyrics could have been a little better on here, but that's how they have been written and, I suppose, they work. They do seem to come into harmony with the guitar to create a magnificent blend which you can't find from anyone else other than Paul Weller. That voice and that guitar are the unbeatable team which no other musical icons can challenge. // 9

Overall Impression: I never really took interest in Paul Weller, untill I listened to this CD. In my honest oppinion, he's fantastic on acoustic and he really grabs the attention of the audience and holds it. The only thing I can say is that he was always better as a man of The Jam. Regardless of the fact that The Jam were better than Weller, I think that this album shows Weller's true colours as a master of the acoustic guitar, and that should be respected by people of any background. // 10

Comments