Backspacer review by Pearl Jam

• Released: Sep 20, 2009
Pearl Jam: Backspacer

Pearl Jam have a very recognisable sound. Eddie has such a distinctive voice, you can identify it from anywhere. Backspacer is very differant to most of their previous albums. Songs like Just Breathe are songs that for the first time after listening to a Pearl Jam album thought it should be on Eddies solo album. But songs like Amongst The Waves bring back the memorys of past McCready solos like Alive.

I think Backspacer has some of the best lyrics Eddie has writen. His song-writing has always been 10/10 but on this album his lyrics are mind-blowing. Songs like The Fixer and Johnny Guitar have some of the finest lyrics in them. I like the fact that Eddie is much more open to writing about his child-hood and I think because he is much more open, hes not afraid to write a lyric that people might refer to as his childhood. Also, I think Eddie has the greatest Voice in Rock and I think he's the best songwriter ever.

I think Backspacer is the best album since No Cod. Songs like 'Got Some, Gonna See My Friend, Supersonic and Amongst The Waves' are just breath-taking. It is without a doubt the best album of 2009, and Pearl Jam deliver a better album than their inpressive 2006 self-titled album. Songs like Unthought Known work amazingly live. I think songs like Unthought Known can be compared to previous songs like Rearviewmirror, songs that just build and build until they reach full climax, and then they quieten down again, Pearl Jam are the masters at writing them kind of songs. The set-list of the Album Is: 01. Gonna See My Friend 02. Got Some 03. The Fixer 04. Johnny Guitar 05. Just Breathe 06. Amongst The Waves 07. Unthought Known 08. Supersonic 09. Speed Of Sound 10. Force Of Nature 11. The End Overall, Backspacer is a great album, no strange ones (Unlike Vitalogy) lots of great solos, and a very enjoyable listen.

Bartulio
    probably the most consistent album i have heard this year. every song is great and doesn't slack. overall its a great listen.
    Laurenx
    So different from Ten but at the same time, it's brilliant. Gonna See My Friend is my favourite track.