Immagine In Cornice: Picture In A Frame [DVD] review by Pearl Jam

• Released: Sep 25, 2007
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
Pearl Jam: Immagine In Cornice: Picture In A Frame [DVD]

Even if you never understood the hysteria over Pearl Jam in the 1990s, you might just want to give the band another chance with it's latest DVD Immagine In Cornice. It doesn't take the usual approach of a live concert video, instead trying out a more cinematic view of the band's 2006 tour in Italy. There's a wealth to look at on the DVD, and thanks to the HD camerawork in some sections, it's also gorgeous to watch. There are 13 songs (plus a few bonuses) performed during the course of the Italy-hopping concerts, and they all hearken back to the classic Pearl Jam era. There are hardcore fans who will say that the band has never ceased to have a heyday, but for the general bulk of Americans, hearing Alive, Even Flow, and Porch evoke some particularly strong particularly strong memories. The fact that the band didn't feel the need to swamp the songlist with their newest material was a surprising and refreshing aspect. While Jeremy is not one of the featured tracks, it didn't need to be. Corduroy, Better Man, and State Of Love And Trust are all greatest-hits material as well, and sound just as good as they did back in the day. It's true that it all does seem to shy away from the band's later years, but it's easily forgivable. Among the other standout tracks are Life Wasted, World Wide Suicide, and the Neil Young hit Rockin' In The Free World. The performances are all solid, but it's the moments away from the traditional stage that are the most memorable. In one moment vocalist Eddie Vedder and guitarist Mike McCready sit down with acoustics on stone steps somewhere in Europe and proceed to perform an impromptu Lukin. There are some extremely candid musical moments like that and they're just as engaging as the rehearsed stage show.

Content — 10
You're getting quite a lot more than a concert, and it's hard to say if it's the stage show or the numerous peeks backstage that are the highlight. One of the best moments comes right after a performance of Alive, when you're taken backstage with the band as they chill and discuss what songs will be in the encore. I can't ever remember seeing a DVD in the past where you see the band writing out the finale list -- pretty much off the cuff -- and it's a bit surreal to see Pearl Jam working it out amongst themselves. In another scene you see Vedder talking sweetly with his young daughter about trees, and it's pretty priceless. The main feature is lengthy in itself, but you do get 3 bonus songs on top of it. There is a very cool cover of The Who's A Quick One (While He's Away) with My Morning Jacket, and the performance is actually one of the best -- if not the best -- on the entire DVD. Throw Your Arms Around Me and Yellow Ledbetter are also included in the bonus tracks.

Production Quality — 10
The video quality doesn't get much better than Immagine In Cornice. Using everything from HD to Super 8, the DVD is shot very much like a film. If you don't like things to get too artsy with your music videos, then you might find it a little too much. But even if you get antsy at something like that, you'll still enjoy the concert performances, which are shot in a consistently gorgeous camera style (which is likely HD).

With over 150 minutes of footage on the DVD, you'll be getting your money's worth. Truth be told, it's the moments away from stage that are the most engaging. The band is truly a cast of characters in a way, with very distinct personalities that you wouldn't necessarily expect to work so easily together. Whether bassist Jeff Ament is skateboarding or Vedder is practicing his Italian backstage, Immagine In Cornice takes you through the Pearl Jam traveling experience. Pearl Jam is one of those bands that, if you haven't remained a religious follower, you might have lost touch with over the years. It's nice to have reminder of why exactly they rose to iconic status in the first place. There is an onstage chemistry among the band members that is immediately evident, not to mention Vedder's almost hypnotic stage presence that seems to captivate the crowds. Although13 tracks might not seem like a huge playlist, Pearl Jam has put more energy than most bands in creating a truly well-rounded and entertaining DVD.

shwilly
    Dioido.PT
    I bought this DVD and...MY GOD! I really loved it . What a superb piece of art. I truly recommend it to every PJ fans.
    Tw1zzler
    awsome... Im getting it and also I cant wait until they go back on tour
    C&C Magik
    They are probably the best out there for their style right now, but grunge isn't my musical style. I can dig an occasional Pearl Jam song, though, and would definitely see them live if they came to where i live.
    stumaster18
    This DVD is amazing! I bought it the first day it came out. Truly spectacular stuff here. In my opinion, Pearl Jam has never been better than they are now!
    Stukart
    I'm a big pearl jam fanboy, so I can't wait till I get my hands on this one.
    pyritmann
    i never really got into them, but ive never heard that much either sad to say, so i dont really know much bout them.
    aethelion
    Severed Hand opens the DVD (awesome awesome peformance). World Wide Suicide, Life Wasted, Comatose and Come Back are also on it. These Five songs are from their last album. There are 11 band songs on the DVD and 2 Eddie solo tunes (Immortality, Picture in a Frame). That's almost 50% of the DVD. Yes it has older songs on it, but this is not a band that shies away from their new material. It's interesting that you didn't realize how many of the songs on the DVD were new. They are such a great live band that even the unfamiliar is powerfully effecting. This is a must have DVD for any fan of rock music and as close to being there, as you will ever come in a DVD. I haven't seen a better live DVD produced by anyone.
    IbanezPlayer27
    I love pearl jam so much..saw them live once and it was amazing, I might actually head over to bestbuy and pick this up when I dont work.
    newy777
    My eyes were glued to the screen ,2 times in a row haha. What a great dvd... So entertaining and the quality was top notch. Not very often do i get the feeling of such satisfaction through a dvd..thumbs up!
    cuige
    "In one moment vocalist Eddie Vedder and guitarist Mike McCready sit down with acoustics on stone steps somewhere in Europe and proceed to perform an impromptu Lukin. This was written by an American anyway. How could you not recognise the Verona amphitheatre. Anyway. Class dvd I recommend it highly and Pearl Jam's lyrics are nothing short of poetry.
    StratSlinger421
    cuige wrote: Eddie Vedder is a legend.
    Liking Pearl Jam is like a religion. People who immerse themselves in Pearl experience something that other human beings just simply can't comprehend until they listen for themselves. They are one of the few bands who play music for reasons other than money. They are truly artists. Eddie Vedder is legend. Their legacy will rank them among the greatest bands in the history of rock. Pearl Jam rules. Period.
    SL!!!
    GoWithTheFlow wrote: SL!!! wrote: Good band i don't really care for them though, the whole grunge thing, bleh. Pretty dec lyrics though. dude their lyrics are more than decent
    They have meaning behind them i don't doubt it but in terms of style and how well worded they are, not the greatest. Very good, better than the majority of stuff, but like i'm saying it's personal taste.
    Covin
    shwilly wrote: Pearl Jams latest DVD may do the impossible by pleasing both new and old fans alike. That's what most people said about their latest album, and I aggree > these guys are in their prime
    Absolutely not. I've NEVER been able to finish the s/t album. It's boring and the music is bland and the voice is monotonous. I was completely committed to buying all their albums after the amazingness of Ten and Vs., so I bought Vitalogy, Yield, and the s/t all on the same day.....Vitalogy has some good tracks on it, but Yield and s/t are boring. I've given up on this band and pawned Yield and s/t.
    punkrockpirate
    Ingsoc
    Pure greatness. Pearl Jam is one of the rare bands that sounds better live than on their albums. I will surely pick this up.
    nrich
    punkrockpirate wrote: I used to really dislike Pearl Jam, because I heard Alive and Even Flow get played to death on the radio, and some of their albums after Ten and before their Self-Titled were sort of stale, but after listening to bootlegs and their new album, I really feel like I've been missing out for a long time. This DVD sounds really fantastic, I'm going to check it out.
    Quoted for truth.
    frankv
    What you should also do is try to like their "stale" albums, because they only need a little getting used to. I first disliked later album because they weren't as epic as Ten, but now I love them all.
    areese82
    The last concert video I had of theirs was "touring Band 2000" which had a very bare bones production quality to it. This new one sounds like the complete oppisite. I'm definately gonna check it out.
    cuige
    Man I can't wait to get this. It sounds class. Eddie Vedder is a legend.
    GoWithTheFlow
    dude their lyrics are more than decent
    radioplay
    "...but for the general bulk of Americans, hearing Alive, Even Flow, and Porch evoke some particularly strong particularly strong memories." someone didnt proofread this lol
    Original Fire
    I am One of the Biggest Pearl Jam Fans ever. i got this Dvd the day it came out and it is so Phnomenal. I suggest everyone go out and get this. Besides the great set list the bounus Features are killer in their own with Yellow Ledbetter and i must say this is the most brilliant version of this song that i have seen on any of their dvds. So Pearl Jam Fans go out and get this and enjoy. Peace Bros.
    giginthesky
    It's getting to be about that time where grunge sneaks back into the mainstream. The glam thing just got done so next is the grunge. It all comes back around in 10 - 20 years. Pearl jam is a great band and I'm glad they've kind of went underground. You never really see them all over the tv or radio and they are just kind of quietly doing their thing and having fun making music. I respect that a lot. A lot. Good for them. Good for their fans.
    SL!!!
    *I'm in Pearl Jam, look at my face, i'm deep in thought..yeah..* hahaha Good band i don't really care for them though, the whole grunge thing, bleh. Pretty dec lyrics though.
    Fenderplayer93
    Can't wait to hear it... I love Pearl Jam, and know they are going to make their fans happy... Rock On!
    Hungry_Hameds
    this dvd is unique in that you get the live experience, but not just a list of songs that you skip to your favourites. the way they go from the Italian kids playing Porch into Even Flow is fantastic, the first time you dont expect it, and after it still blows me away. and i like that they've added a drum solo from Matt in the middle too! the dvd is enjoyable to watch, from Ed's addressing the crowds to Jeff Aments boarding exploits, while of coure showing viewers, fans or not, that these guys are up there with Led Zeppelin when it comes to live shows.