Live At The Garden [DVD] review by Pearl Jam

• Released: Nov 11, 2003
  • Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 8
Pearl Jam: Live At The Garden [DVD]

After 14 or so odd years Pearl Jam still sounds great. Eddie Vedder's vocals sounds as good as the day they realeased Ten. The intruments are all in sync and sound very good. Mike and Stone's guitar playing sounds as good, if not better than it does on the studio recordings of the band. The dolby digital surround sound is very nice on this one.

Content — 8
This is a live DVD of Pearl Jam's July 8, 2003 concert at Madison Square Garden. They definitely know how to fill an arena. The crowd really gets into the songs, and Eddie lets them sing parts of some of the songs. The set list on this one is conventional of any Pearl Jam concert, they try to keep some of the classics in the list, like Even Flow, Black, Daughter, Betterman, and Do the Evolution, but they also put in a lot of songs that werent the big hits, but are great songs. The main focus though is on their newest album Riot Act, because this was the tour to support it. They also do several cover songs like Sonic Reducer and Baba O'Riley. Several guests are brought on stage for different songs like Ben Harper, Steve Diggle, and Tony Barber. There are 5 bonus videos on the dvd, which are just clips from the tour which include different guests and some of the bands back stage antics.

Production Quality — 8
The production quality on this one is good, but nothing special. The sound is good, and so is the camera work, but there arent a whole lot of different camera angles, which doesnt really take away from it, but it would be nicer to have some more angles.

Overall I thought it was a good dvd. I've seen people say that Pearl Jam arent nearly as good as they used to be, but id have to disagree. Sure they arent as crazy on stage as they used to be, but all the songs and the performance are just as heart felt and deep as they always were. I think the most impressive thing is that Pearl Jam is showing everyone that not all the early 90's "grunge" bands are done for, and that they can still fill an arena like Madison Square Garden. I love Eddie's vocals, I really do. I think he is one of the greatest songwriters/singers of all time. His live performances are amazing and very moving. I would definitely buy this one again if something happened to it.