Lost Dogs review by Pearl Jam

• Released: Nov 11, 2003
Pearl Jam: Lost Dogs

I was very impressed with the sound of the album. The album is made up of B-Sides and rare tracks that are very hard to find. Alot of the songs had been re-recorded to ensure the album would flow together smoothly. For example "Dirty Frank" and "You" had been re-recorded. The reason for this is that as alot of Pearl Jam fans know, Eddie Vedder's voice doesn't sound the same on every album. Some interesting songs were "Gremmie Out Of Control" which was a surf song. I hadn't expected to hear a surf song on a Pearl Jam record but when I saw the title I knew what I was in for.

I am always happy with the lyrics I hear on every Pearl Jam albums. Most of the writing techniques that Pearl Jam uses I haven't heard on any album. The lyrics flow perfectly with the music like a completed puzzle. I think Eddie Vedder has a pretty good voice that is very variable. Meaning that he can give you a screaming hard rock sound but then take it down a notch to deliver a gentle more calming sound.

Alot of the songs by listening to them you could sort of get the feel of what album the B-side was from. Most of the songs on Lost Dogs didn't make their intended album simply because the songs didn't flow right with the other songs on the album. My favorite songs on here are "Sad", "Down", "Alone", "Whale Song", "Fatal", "Dead Man", "Drifting" and "Dirty Frank." The only songs I wasn't satisfied with were "All Night" and "Hitchhiker" I just couldn't get in the feel for them. If this were lost or stolen I would not hesitate a minute to buy another copy. This is a definite buy for Pearl Jam fans as well as anyone who wants to experience a more different side of Pearl Jam.