Lost Dogs Review

Styles: Hard Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Grunge
 9.6
 9.2
Lost Dogs Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 03, 2004

Sound: I was very impressed with the sound of the album. The album is made up of B-Sides and rare tracks that are very hard to find. Alot of the songs had been re-recorded to ensure the album would flow together smoothly. For example "Dirty Frank" and "You" had been re-recorded. The reason for this is that as alot of Pearl Jam fans know, Eddie Vedder's voice doesn't sound the same on every album. Some interesting songs were "Gremmie Out Of Control" which was a surf song. I hadn't expected to hear a surf song on a Pearl Jam record but when I saw the title I knew what I was in for. // 10

Lyrics: I am always happy with the lyrics I hear on every Pearl Jam albums. Most of the writing techniques that Pearl Jam uses I haven't heard on any album. The lyrics flow perfectly with the music like a completed puzzle. I think Eddie Vedder has a pretty good voice that is very variable. Meaning that he can give you a screaming hard rock sound but then take it down a notch to deliver a gentle more calming sound. // 10

Overall Impression: Alot of the songs by listening to them you could sort of get the feel of what album the B-side was from. Most of the songs on Lost Dogs didn't make their intended album simply because the songs didn't flow right with the other songs on the album. My favorite songs on here are "Sad", "Down", "Alone", "Whale Song", "Fatal", "Dead Man", "Drifting" and "Dirty Frank." The only songs I wasn't satisfied with were "All Night" and "Hitchhiker" I just couldn't get in the feel for them. If this were lost or stolen I would not hesitate a minute to buy another copy. This is a definite buy for Pearl Jam fans as well as anyone who wants to experience a more different side of Pearl Jam. // 10

Lost Dogs Reviewed by: Moppstock, on march 23, 2004

Sound: This is Pearl Jam's lost singles album, Full of songs that are from B sides or extras in recordings that haven't been released yet. This is a great album and really pumps up your knoledge about Pearl Jam when you sit and listen to the lyrics. A great style like always. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are chosen very well, and I have not to much to say about that but with the singer skills of Eddie Vedder throughout the years are very sketchy, He starts out as an amature in the vocal world and as you listen to newer tracks you notic his voice is in more control of the graspyness that makes Grunge music what it is, or what it was. // 10

Overall Impression: The album was put together one hundred percent properly. Nothing more or less to say about that. // 10

Lost Dogs Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 13, 2006

Sound: Since this is a collection of B-Sides and rarities it is impossible to comment on the sound in a vague and all-encompassing way. However, all of the production is top-notch (including the Ten-era songs which hardcore fans sometimes think are overproduced) and the playing is typically excellent. Songs like Yellow Ledbetter and Brother show just how accomplished Pearl Jam are musically, something often overlooked because of their status as pioneers of the "grunge scene." // 10

Lyrics: To put it simply, Eddie Vedder is the best songwriter of the last 20 years. Even in 1992 with less than 20 published songs behind his belt I would assert this. Hard to Imagine, a stunning outtake from the Vs sessions is a fan favourite and is lyrically, as well as musically, stunning. Alone, played at PJ's first ever show but criminally left off Ten, is a fantastic rocking song. The aforementioned Ledbetter is PJ's traditional closer, even though it was only available only on the Alive single for 11 years, it has become a crowd favourite so evidently it had quite an impact in 1992. Many of the songs on this double set are so accomplished in the songwriting department that it seems bizarre that they didn't make their respective albums. Footsteps, an integral part of Vedder's Mamasan Trilogy (a mini rock-opera comprising Once, Alive and Footsteps) tells the harrowing final chapter, the narrator's wait to "ride the lightening" so to speak. It is a simple song, acoustic guitar, harmonica and vocals, but it is easily as important in the trilogy as Alive or Once and I cannot for the life of me think why it never made it. It is vastly underplayed live too. // 10

Overall Impression: Basically, this collection of "cast-offs" is far superior to any of most band's best efforts. I would rather listen to Lost Dogs than PJ's last album "Riot Act" any day. Even though it shocks me that some of these songs (wash, yellow ledbetter, alone, footsteps) never made it to the studio albums, I'm glad the band saw that the fans would enjoy this compilation. Now I just hope there are enough left in the vaults for another collection (Girl, another outtake from Ten never even made it to this). // 10

Comments