Pearl Jam review by Pearl Jam

• Released: May 2, 2006
Pearl Jam: Pearl Jam

This is by far Pearl Jam's best record ever. I mean it. I'm 100% serious. The new album is far superior to their previous efforts in every possible way. The guitars are better, the lyrics are godly (after listening to this record, you realise Ten/VS/Vitalogy has some pretty lyrics). Already my favourite off this track is come back and every track is good, with exception of Wasted Reprise, it's one of those small album fillers that I'm not too keen on. Here's my review, not in order, just according to the list on my ipod. It is incredible how much Ed's voice has improved? Maybe the smoking has transformed his voice like it did with Lanegan.

See below. I've merged it all into one.

01. Come Back - Holy-jesus-mother-of-God. You thought Black was your favourite Pearl Jam Ballad, think again. This is the new black, I prefer this to black by a mile. It's somewhat an old 50s prom track and it's absolutely beautiful, hands down, a much more gorgeous solo than Yellow Ledbetter. It starts off exactly like Nothingman, the drums I mean and the lyrics, very nice Ed. Honestly, totally exceeded my expectation of Pearl Jam altogether. I never thought they had it in them, especially Ed since he wrote it. Mike wrote the music for it. I'm guessing in years to come, this will be a classic rock track. 02. World Wide Suicide - this is a pretty good track but it's nothing compared to the rest of the album. Pearl Jam shouldn't have released this as a first single. They should have stuck with Severed Hand and Unemployable (leave the best till last). World Wide Suicide has some alright lyrics but nothing special. 03. Severed Hand - we've all heard it. The studio version is much better, you can hear the guitars complement each other very well. The solo, absolutely loving it. It's also got some nice use of artificial harmonics. Not to mention the punk chord arrangement is awesome. Very cliche but Pearl Jam make it sound different to how it would normally sound. 04. Unemployable - a very punk rock track with obvious political connatations. This song reminds me of the La's so much, think, "There she goes... there she goes again..." Every member plays suburbly on this track, not to mention Matt Cameron is fitting in very very nicely. I mean, a lot of you would consider him out of place with Pearl Jam but this record shows that he fits in perfectly. It's an amazing addition when Ed howls, "Oh Oh Oh Ooooh," very nice. Props to Matt Cameron/McCready who wrote the music for this track. 05. Comatose - you've heard this on Youtube. What more can I say, very punk rock, very aggressive. It's written with the same aggression as Spin The Black Circle I think this will be an album favourite for most SCers but for me, it's gotta be Come Back. We'll see. It's amazing how much grit is in Ed's voice, perhaps I underestimated his voice when I slagged it off a couple of times. One things for sure, Ed will sound amazing with this these songs. The small solo is a faster and better McCready. He's better than ever. This is a three way effort by McCready-Stone and Ed. Not to mention, Jeff plays astounding on this track. 06. Marker In The Sand - wow. I'd like to call this punk rock meets surf rock. I don't know whether that's a complete oxymoron but it really works. This is in the same line as Leaving Here but it's better. This song is really two songs in one, the chorus is totally expected and it's a lot different to how the verse sounds like. Nevertheless it's a really great track to drive to. Again, this is a joint effort by McCready and Ed. 07. Big Wave - this is an Ament song. I'm suprised that Jeff didn't write more. Still, this song is about a big wave if you couldn't have guessed and it's very jeff. It's exactly what you would expect out of Jeff. This reminds me slightly of Riot Act's Get Right. It's very upbeat and it's definitely a classic in years to come. 08. Army Reserve - this is another Ament song and I'd consider this one of my favourites on the album. It's hard for me to choose a favourite since they're all good. Some are better than others but that's only because of my mood. I'm guessing it'll change in time. But as for now. It says it's written by Ed and Elchols. Jase/Alex want to help me out? 09. Life Wasted - a very good opener. It's has a great chorus and it's a brilliant way to start off the album. At first I thought this was one of my least favourites on the album but the more I listen to it, the more I like it. This was the same thing with Severed Hand. I liked it but I didn't really like it as much as I thought I would. When I heard the studio version of Severed Hand, it's clear it's far superior to anything on SNL. 10. Inside Job - absolutely immaculate. McCready has done a great job writing this along with Ed to help him. The added piano has set Pearl Jam into a new direction. This is a very sad song. The lyrics are very good, one of the best in the album, after Come Back. The other exception is Gone. Inside job is a very good album ender. It finishes with a small, how do you say it, stars twinkling? Inside Job, very good job. 11. Gone - I received this in the post about 5 months ago. It's truly a masterpiece. The lyrics are one of Ed's best. There are two versions of this, the studio and the live. The studio version is much better. When the song finally starts with the drums, that's it, all awesome. It reminds me of MFC slightly, especially with the guitar. 12. Parachutes - this is Stone's masterpiece. As Jase described it, very beatles. This was my favourite before I listened to Come Back. The lyrics are also a masterpeice. I think in terms of lyrics, I'd reckon it goes Come Back > Parachutes > Gone > Inside Job. Jase/Alex, feel free to disagree. The track itself is bittersweet in quite a different way to Come Back. I won't lie, a tear jerker, perhaps more than Come Back, if it weren't for the solo in Come Back. 13. Wasted Reprise - a 51 second album filler. It's just sort of like WMA. A mix between the lyrics on the album. I won't rate this because it's not really a song. But I tend to skip this all the time.

FaceTomorrow
    MiNd.FreAk
    FaceTomorrow wrote: saying COME BACK is better than BLACK has got nothing to do with perspective! Come on thats just stupid! Its a great album and COME BACK is a great song, but saying its better than BLACK isnt very good for your credibility.
    I agree with you dude, Black was way way more stronger and emotional with the lyrics and music...
    sixstringz
    Very good album, finally something new worth paying for, blows the last 2 away, maybe even the last 4.
    Harmonius
    FaceTomorrow wrote: GoodNite_AmyLee : lazyboat wrote: it's in NO WAY better than their first album what the hell is this guy thinking they'll never better there first album because it's as close to perfect as they got It's a matter of perspective idiot. saying COME BACK is better than BLACK has got nothing to do with perspective! Come on thats just stupid! Its a great album and COME BACK is a great song, but saying its better than BLACK isnt very good for your credibility.
    If you know me at all, you would know I would never say Black had any credibility. Since you don't know me, you cannot judge my opinion. Thanks Bullet
    Bulletbass man
    I like how you said SCers, Matty. I've been trying to get this record but i cant get to a music store till this weekend and Kmart didn't have it. Im not sure if it can get better than black. Expecially how much i disliked world wide suicide but Matty deserves respect. He's an intelligent kid and i've agreed with him on quite a few sitiuations.
    razordimeback
    Black sends chills down my spine. its easily their best ballad.
    damn this is so right and this album may be very good but no match for TEN, which is the best one ever
    MuRph83
    Harmonius
    MuRph83 wrote: I love the new album!! don't even know what else to say besides that it is brilliant very good review amylee
    Cheers mate. There were a few typos in that review though, you probably would have noticed. So far, what's your favourite track? Mine as said, is always going to be Come Back.
    Quikslayer666
    all i can say its TEN times better than Riot Act Binaural I liked Yield so I can't say that its better than that but one of there best album in 10 years.
    MjX_05
    I've purchased worldwide suicide and unemployment on itunes. Unemployment is much better but neither sound like anything off Ten. I'm not sure why everyone says they're returning to their roots. Either way, Pearl Jam rocks.
    lazyboat
    Harmonius
    It's a matter of perspective idiot.
    Vedder 30
    Amazing..Cant wait for May 9 when i catch them in toronto. Severed Hand is my favourite so far