Pearl Jam review by Pearl Jam

• Released: May 2, 2006
Pearl Jam: Pearl Jam

Pearl Jam has appeared to reinvent themselves with this album. They are back to simpler chord voicings and more pre punk "grunge" rock. McCready and Gossard orchestrate pretty well through a variety of tones and some pretty good riffs. The addition of the hammond organ by boom adds a great touch and depth to the bands sound. Think a Mature version of Vitalogy.

Very good lyrics. Its Ed Vedder, what else do you need? "Come Back" is moving. "World Wide Suicide" is very well written. One of my favorite tracks is "Inside Job", which was written by Mike McCready. Again, inspirational: "Let me run into the rain/To shine a human light today/Life comes from within our heart and desires."

This makes my top 3 list of Pearl Jam albums. I've seen them tour on these songs, and there is a ton of energy back into the band, reminds me a lot of older Pearl Jam but mellowed out. The album is a touch political mixed with what Vedder called his tribute to Johnny Ramone. This is a work of art, taking a few listens to appreciate whats going on, and then becomes instantly enjoyable.

cuige
    Brilliant album altogether. Favourite tracks are comatose, severed hand, marker in the sand and unemployable.
    cuige
    Has anyone noticed that eddie vedder has references to falling all over place? He has them in Comatose, Severed Hand, Marker In The Sand, Parachutes,and to lesser extent,Army Reserve. This is not a crititism. It is just an observment. BTY, In my opinion, Come Back IS a better song then Black.
    james86
    great album to buy listen to this album you cant find this types of band that sounds like them. you wont feel sorry when you buy this
    Darg
    This album is my first Pearl Jam album (because of Life Wasted and World Wide Suicide, mainly), and I have to say that it's an incredible album.
    Tim Roos
    what the most here forgot, is that theyre have worked towards this...i dont think you cant compare this to TEN..it a master piece..just as TEN..and VS and..
    magefredrik
    I'm tired of all the people who says that this never could be better than ten, and come back never could be a better ballad than black... I do love Ten, but Come Back is actually better than Black, and I have started to think that this album actually is better than Ten too. My personal favourite, though, is No Code.
    daveowen
    Pollyboi
    I just love the cover! I don't now why, but I just love it. And it's a REALLY good record. Run and buy
    Hungry_Hameds
    daveowen wrote: I try to be objective when considering music, not using hyperbolic praise or stooping to the low of insulting bands, albums or even certain genres of music, as so many others do. However looking back through Pearl Jam's entire back catalogue, and listening to this album, only strengthens a personal opinion of mine, that 'Avacado' is one of Pearl Jam's worst albums to date. 'Avacado' is over produced, the sound greatly suffering from this radio friendly finish that has been applied, lacking the experimental drive of No Code and Riot Act or the sheer raw, emotional impact of Vs and Ten. The comparison between Come Back and Black used commonly here is unfounded. Just sit back and listen to the latter, Vedder's intensity, his conviction, is simply second to none. There is no comparison. Sure, the songwriting on Avacado is as reliable as ever, after all, this is Pearl Jam, yet I just can't help feeling that after years of semi-obscurity, Eddie Vedder and Co. have simply become fed up of making such strange and wonderful music, just for their core fan base, and have shifted back towards the mainstream. Considering that Pearl Jam are almost the sole survivors of the early 90's Alternative explosion, it could be suggested that this connection with their fans is what has resulted in such consistency through the years. Yet in releasing this album, it almost seems like the most subtle 'stab in the back' for this dedicated fanbase.
    ??? what are you on? you cant keep bringing out Tens all the time, its impossible, thay have continued to make intruiguing music through their careers. They aren't the young kids that wrote Ten or VS, so its not appropriate to write those sort of songs, the subject matter of The self titled album is full of commentaries on things like the Bush administration etc, and they have grown up as musicians as well. If you cant accept bands change with age, dont buy anything other than debut albums! Come back is a brilliant song, but it is not Black, nuff said.
    Jagmaster33
    I have to admit, I was very doubtful when I first heard of this album, as I have not liked a single Pearl Jam album since Vitalogy. But I was in for quite a surprise, as this album is near brilliant. Oddly enough, the album seems to get better as it goes along, and by the end of your first listen you are convinced that this album is worth every penny. In an era dominated by unoriginal and lackluster music, this album is a diamond in the rough.
    the_hoodster
    The closing seconds of Come Back has some of the most effective use of a Wah Pedal that I think I've ever heard. It's that guitar lick alone that gives me goosebumps!