Rearviewmirror: Greatest Hits 1991-2003 review by Pearl Jam

• Released: Nov 16, 2004
Pearl Jam: Rearviewmirror: Greatest Hits 1991-2003

Being that Rearviewmirror is the greatest hits compliation for Pearl Jam, there is a lot of variation in the styles and sounds of the record. Pearl Jam is known for the amount of variety they've produced in their albums throughout their career, and this is the epitome of it. Your first notion when looking at the track list are the remixes of the three songs chosen from the album "Ten", which are "Alive", "Black", and "Once". Think of them as not remixed but remade using newer modern equipment. Every song on this album is of pure quality.

Eddie Vedder is a lyrical genious, moreso in my opinion than Kurt Cobain. Rearviewmirror expresses everything that Vedder has felt/stood for in his music career in definite fashion. Not only is Vedder's lyric-writing superb, but his vocals are just as great. He can alter his voice at any time and have it still sound good, unlike a lot of other artists you see nowadays. My only problem with his vocals is the fact that you can start to hear the deterioration of his voice on the tracks from later albums. Vedder needs to quit smoking.

A little personal sidenote, I feel that some of the tracks on here should be replaced with other tracks. I would have loved to see "Indifference" off Vs., "No Way" off Yield, and at least another song off Lost Dogs, such as "Sad", "Dead Man", "Fatal", or "Wash". These could replace "Immortality", "Light Years", and "Save You". If you own all of Pearl Jam's albums, like I do, then odds are you won't be purchasing this but downloading the remixes and the track "State of Love and Trust". I wouldn't blame you for it, but it's always nice to have a "best-of" CD to keep with you in the car and this is a great "best-of" album. Then again, it is a best-of album, so odds are you have all the albums that these songs appear on. But if you haven't picked up all of Pearl Jam's records or you haven't ever heard of Pearl Jam (shame on you!) want to find out what you've missed, then this is a choice purchase for you. If someone stole this, I'd break their face if I could find them, but I'd most definitely repurchase the CD if I couldn't find a face to break.