Ten review by Pearl Jam

• Released: Aug 27, 1991
Pearl Jam: Ten

The first song I heard by Pearl Jam was Alive. I was told afterwards that it was one of their most famous songs and so I assumed that, like with most bands, they have some really good songs and the rest you listen to once just to say you've listened to the whole album, yet I was so in love with that song I bought the album anyways. My prediction was incredibly wrong. Ten is one of very few albums I can actually say I like all the songs. As a bassist come guitarist I have great appreciation for the band Mike Mcready, Stone Gossard and Jeff Amnet. I may be no drummer or singer, but I need not be to know that they are both amazing aswell. I can honestly say that the first six songs on this album are some of my favourite ever. The rest are also good but wouldn't make it to my list of 'All time classics'. Definately one of my favourite albums ever, if not my favourite album.

Eddie Vedders lyrics are pure genius. I cannot say that I am a fan of lyrics making a song, in my opinion its all about the melody. So when I listen to music I don't take the lyrics into account; however on this album I find it hard not to. The singer is amazing anyway but then you listen to what he is singing about and it heightens the experience further. The songs often have deeper messages that face value such as Jeremy. Seemed a normal song until I found it was about a boy who shot himself infront of his class. After learning this the lyrics made so much more sence and where somehow more emotive than before. This is probably the album I've memorized the most lyrics to...other than Liquid Tension Experiment ;-)

Their first album and I probably have to argue their best. I find that I cannot find one person (excluding people I know listen to rap or R&B, but some of them aswell actually) who doesn't like every single song on this album. If harder rock isn't their thing they still like Jeremy and Black, if they're into harder stuff then they like Even Flow, Aliev and Once. Me? I just love the whole album. I commonly listen to it all the way through on my own or as background music with freinds. The best spend of 3 I think I have indeed ever spent.