Vs. review by Pearl Jam

• Released: Oct 19, 1993
Pearl Jam: Vs.

Unlike the debut album Ten (which is awesome too), Vs has a raw, stripped back sound that makes it sound like a live show. Trust me, this is a good thing. The guitars are loud, proud and in your face, the drums are heavy thanks to Dave Abbruzzese's hard hitting and Eddie Vedder's vocals are primal on the rockers and eerie on the ballads.

The lyrics are always Pearl Jam's strongest point and unlike Ten where the words were written by Vedder and the music by the rest of the band, Vs was a collective effort. Of course, Vedder contributes most to the lyrics and they are typical PJ material, covering issues like gun crime (Glorified G), police brutality (WMA) and basic angst (Leash).

Many say that this album was a disappointment after Ten. They are talking rubbish. Yes, the second half of the album is more difficult to get into than the first but persevere and you will be rewarded. WMA has an awesome groove and the repetition is intentional. One of Dave A's best beats. Also Leash is in my opinion the best rocking PJ song with the best refrain (listen and you'll see what I mean). If I lost this or it was stolen I'd buy a new copy the same day. Awesome album.

inert_man
    How about a little Indifference, or Leash, two awesome songs in the second half right there!