Vs. review by Pearl Jam

• Released: Oct 19, 1993
Pearl Jam: Vs.

Released in 1993, this is Pearl Jam's second album. It is 46 minutes long and the sound quality is very good in a grunge kindo of way. The original CD came in a cardboard cover that was hard to figure out how to open. This is just a very good CD throughout. There are no weak songs on it. There are some great numbers, like W.M.A. and Rearviewmirror. There is a lot of energy in the music. The only real problem is the mix, in some spots. The drums can be up front too much on some tracks, especially Leash.

Eddie Vedder is an amazing singer-songwriter-composer, and it really shows on this album. I will always think of him as one of the original "grunge ambassadors" just because of his raspy glass-shattering voice. He is an excellent singer. Stone Gossard's and Mike McCready's guitars went very well with Eddie's vocals.

This album caught a lot of flack and a lot of people didn't like it. I am not one of those people, I really liked this album. Trying to follow up "Ten" (one of the greatest rock albums ever) is a difficult thing to do and soph. albums more often then not end up sucking. Vs is solid Pearl Jam that any fan will love. Will also be enjoyed by fans of '90s rock. If I lost this I probably would end up buying it again. It is PJ at their best so I strongly urge you to pick up a copy.

cuige
    I read the third review before I got it and he's wrong. "Dissident" for me is a weak song but "Blood", "Leash" and "Indifference" are brilliant songs. "Go" is one of Pearl Jam's greatest ever songs. Great album.
    jam from pearls
    i agree, dissident is one of the worst songs PJ ever did, it just annoys me. blood is fantastic. named my old band after leash lol
    Hungry_Hameds
    slaptasticdave wrote: im not really a blood fan, terrible live these days and no love for rats by any body?
    I like blood live, on Imagine in Cornice it's amazing. Rats is one of their best songs ever, the bass, the delivery of lyrics on such a simple subject yet so spooky and intimidating. fantastic song. and Go just batters your eardrums into submission. Outstanding.
    benjidude945
    no way!! WMA is an awesome song probably the best on here this whole album's kind of boring though nothing too exciting, i'm glad PJ moved on and experimented and didn't just stick with grunge