Yield review by Pearl Jam

• Released: Feb 3, 1998
Pearl Jam: Yield

Yield, to me, is another No Code. It has many experiments and risks in it, and also the same old PJ we've come to love, with some some great(and underrated)songs. The album starts off with a bang in Brain of J. I've heard from many people that this sounds like a garage song, and I back them up. I think it should have gotten radio recognition. Faithful is an uplifting ballad that is also underrated. Very good. No Way is my personal favorite song on the album. Straight-ahead rock. I am surprised that the radio didn't pick this one up, too. Given to Fly is the most famous song here. It is a great song, but shows how far into the wilderness PJ was at the time. Sounds nothing like Ten or Vs. But, hey, that's why I love PJ. They keep on expanding their horizons. Wishlist, honestly, is a tiny bit overrated, but that's okay. It is catchy and powerful, it's just my feelings are that the song could be better. But that's nitpicking. Pilate is pretty good. Uses a slow-fast dynamic. Do the Evolution is very cool. Vedder screams his head off here. I love the animated video for it. Untitled is just weird old PJ. They are saying that they're crazy in this song because of people's reactions to PJ's weirder stuff. I think it's funny. MFC is okay. I wish it were longer. Low Light is an okay ballad. Vedder seems to shine on the ballads. In Hiding is a great song. It is a very uplifting song and I'm glad it was played on the radio. Push Me, Pull Me is, well, it's a song. Vedder does not really sing, he just talks. Lots of weird noises. All Those Yesterdays is another good ballad. Actually helps me go to sleep(along with Around the Bend on No Code). Hummus is the Middle Eastern ending to All Those Yesterdays. I don't like it, but it shows how PJ was influenced by those types of songs.

It's alittle obscure, alittle bizarre, etc. But that's who PJ is! Each song is really different. I enjoy listening to it every time. I seem to get alittle something different every time I listen. Great lyrics! Eddie Vedder is an excellent vocalist. Music blends really well with the music.

Eddie Vedder is the untouchable rock hero. I grew up listening to a lot of bands. A lot of them are great bands, but corporate products who are there solely to entertain (I won't mention names). But this group has managed to get by doing what they do without allowing those corporate hands to get too firmly around their waste. Their music continues to be organic, rebellious, and speak for those who don't get their voices heard in the current state of American politics. God bless these guys or who knows where we would be right now.

Hungry_Hameds
    people criticised Ed's voice on this, but i can hear him struggling at all. Do the Evolution is a great shouty vocal. you can hear his voice isnt great on Live on 2 legs but on yield i think its great. and nowadays he is as good live as 16 years ago. one of the great frontman. Shout out to Jack Irons, his last album, great drummer.