Peeping Tom review by Peeping Tom

• Released: May 30, 2006
Peeping Tom: Peeping Tom

Since Faith No More split up in 1998 fans have been circulating rumors about frontman Mike Patton's solo mainstream-pop project. For years Patton has noticed in different acts -- sometimes not really pop, sometimes not really singing. In May 2006 the word finally started to appear when talking about his new -- Peeping Tom project. Yes, finally something actually close to mainstream pop and something everybody's been waiting for years -- a debut Peeping Tom self-titled album on Patton's own Ipecac Records. It's 11 tracks, each containing a help from a different singular artist. It's noise rock, trip-hop, electronic flourishes and pop all at once, fused into something totally fashionable, groovy and very danceable. Album opener Five Seconds, featuring Odd Nosdam, has a menacingly bass line and unpleasant vocal, shouting like straight in your ears. Unpleasant though doesn't mean Collaboration with Massive Attack -- Kill the sounds a lot like a track from Mezzanine -- passionate, with slow tripping verses and explosively loud choruses. All artists bring something of their own in songs, sometimes really close to their records, sometimes not really Like good girl Nora Jones -- Patton makes her swear and change fish is jumping and the cotton is high for sexy what make you think your only lover in Sucker. She probably tried hard to masked her voice as it doesn't sound anything close to jazz exercises. The album is full of weird sounds and crazy ideas. The end of Celebrity Death Match is genius -- the track finishes with a piece of some kind of classic orchestral symphony. It's so unexpected and boldly that it makes you laugh. You would be surprised as a group of people supports you laughing in the beginning of the next track How U Feeling? For Peeping Tom project Patton wrote music, swapping files with his collaborators. He never met some of the musicians he worked with and the record keeps that feel of a cold distance. Each song on the record is as individual a guest artist, so I stop rambling on about what they sound like and let you make your own discoveries.

The first single off the album has the whole idea of the record within one song -- Roll it up and smoke it again. That's how the material was written and that's also the best way to listen to it. That would probably freak out some parents out there, but it's ridiculously to hide the drug usage by musicians nowdays, so who cares... Ooops I did it again in that case is very well fitted here. It's more about making scary sounds, than actually singing. The only really singing track would be Kill the with female vocals from Massive Attack. Patton, known for his extraordinary vocal range, explores his abilities best here.

The first thing that comes to your mind is Wow, what a difference from Faith No More! Sometimes having just one project becomes a prison for creative people -- doing just one thing kills their multisided creative personality. That's why side or solo projects are often so different (think of Damon Albarn with Blur and Gorillaz). Borrowing the name from '60s psychological horror film Peeping Tom, the group of collaborators (if you let me call it this way) creates music that is more like a soundtrack to a stripper dance. That is more than obvious though, as you see the CD cover -- a naked girl through a key hole. Trying to differentiate the music genre of the record would be really hard -- something like experimental quality pop? As Patton says himself -- that is his version of pop music. Thinking of somebody who can mix so many different styles and incompatible pieces one in one record with such a great feel of style, only one thing comes to my mind -- Beck. The only difference between the guys is Beck is already admitted genius, while Peeping Tom is just foretasting it. - Elena Efimova 2006

Pigdestroyer
    Yea im pretty pleased with "peeping tom" its a very "unique" album, well for at least people who havent hard mike patton before. I however am a great follower of all of mike patton's projects, such as fantomas, tomahawk, lovage, and the work he did with john kaada was exeptional. Peeping Tom is far from being the best mike patton project, but its still very great. It has to be my album of the year. 9 out of 10.
    Rhinosaur Bones
    I heard the single 'Mojo' and thought it was pretty uninteresting. I probably won't be picking up this album, unless I hear much much better from it.
    cap'nkirk
    I'm in love with this record. It's probably most pop-concious album he's been involved with since faith no more, I love the duet with norah jones. that chicks hanging around all the rock dudes lately... but, there is a couple tracks that aren't as brillant as we're used too.
    Pigdestroyer
    By no means is mojo the best song on the album, ur right rhino bones, i think all the songs are great equal to each other.
    Pigdestroyer
    EEK i meant to say "your right BOB" sorry about that XD. and then i was meant put " rhino, you have no right to crit a whole album, if you have only heard one song, that makes u a very ignorant small minded person!"
    MetalHead73
    Mojo is the really the only song i can enjoy the only reason i bothered checking these guys out is because there on Family Values Tour I listened to a few of there songs and this song (mojo) has a good rock feel to it if there any other songs that sound like this, plese let me know
    Revoltey
    "Lyrics: The first single off the album has the whole idea of the record within one song -- ?Roll it up and smoke it again.? That?s how the material was written and that?s also the best way to listen to it. That would probably freak out some parents out there, but it?s ridiculously to hide the drug usage by musicians nowdays, so who cares... ?Ooops I did it again? in that case is very well fitted here." Well. thats completely wrong. Mike Patton is well known for NOT doing drugs. i believe his bandmates from Mr. Bungle once said 'The only drug he does is caffine'. so no, those lyrics are not about smoking a joint or any other kind of drug. ok that rant over. I really enjoyed this album, it actually reminded me alot of Mr. Bungles 'California' in that it was Pattons attempt at making easily acessable music and they are both fairly er 'danceable' albums. i especially love the happy sound to 'We're Not Alone (remix)' its definetely one of pattons most, upbeat, smiley songs. The must hears for this album. 'Mojo' 'Five Seconds' very fantomas/mr. bungleish 'We're Not Alone (remix)' 'Your Neighbourhood Spaceman' i'd recommend this for any fans of any previous Mike Patton work.... erm... 'Suspended animation' - Fantomas mainly with 'five seconds' and its a MUST for anyone who loved 'california' - Mr. Bungle. If anyone would like to contact me to talk about any music by patton or anything alternate add me on: deranged_munkey@hotmail.com
    DANLSTORY
    Wow.the ever-eclectic Mike Patton does it again. I am a fan of most of his stuff...from Faith No More to Bungle to Tomahawk...and even a little Fantomas. but this is something new for Patton.this is his highly anticipated attempt at making pop music. i was a little sceptical at first, considering my musical preference being rock.until i heard "5 Seconds" and "Mojo"...and i was hooked.so i got the album.(other than the new Tool cd, this has to be the most clever packaging ive seen.)here, we see Patton trying out styles like trip-hop,dub,and pop.and it WORKS. My favorites would have to be "Five Seconds" "Mojo" "Your Neighborhood Spaceman" "Dont Even Trip" "Celebrity Death Match" and the Faith No More-esque "We're Not Alone". all together a solid release by Patton.dont get it unless youre open minded.if you are looking to delve into the world of Patton, this would serve as a good introduction.get this along with Faith No More.then move to Mr. Bungle,Tomahawk,and Fantomas if youre feeling brave.THIS is what should be played on radio and MTV. Also:when Patton finished up with Peeping Tom, he promises both a new Tomahawk and a new Fantomas.
    Sister Bob
    theDOORS123 wrote: the first time i ever heard of/saw peeping tom, was when they opened for the who a few weeks ago...they were beyond terrible. they closed their set early due to them constantly getting booed. they only time people did cheer for them was when they announed they were playing their last song, for everyone was thinking "good ridance"...now, some may be thinking "oh, maybe it was just a bad performance, theyre actually a pretty good band" well...since that awful show put on bu peeping tom, ive heard some of their stuido recording...just as bad, if not worse than the live show...they are a terrible band w/ absolutly NO TALENT
    Hahahah... idiot Who fan is an idiot.
    Hazmo89
    @theDOORS123(btw imaginative name) dont write a crit of a gig on a review for the LP you tool.
    theDOORS123