Australasia review by Pelican

• Released: Nov 4, 2003
Pelican: Australasia

Pelicans debut album showcases the band's excellent songwriting and crushes and awes the listener with dense guitar riffs and beautiful acoustic interludes. With 3 songs over 10 minutes long, pelican requires some patience to listen to, but I think that the band does a good job of keeping the listener insterested, despite the lack of a vocalist. The two guitarists Trevor de Brauw and Laurent Schroeder-Lebec work very well together and are able combine heavy and crushing riffs with wonderful melodies. The bass could be a bit louder, as it is barely audible amongst the deafening guitars, but it still adds an extra thickness to the music. The drumms are probably a weak point for pelican. They are often criticized for being a bit dull and off time, but I think they fit the music very well, providing slow, pounding rythms to complement the chugging guitars.

Hmm... The lyrics section. As you all probably know, pelican is an instrumental band. Again, the lack of a vocalist may make it difficult for some listeners to keep interest. However, I think that the absence of vocals in pelican's music has it's advantages. Some people are put off by the rough sceaming type vocals that usually acompany many post metal bands. The lack of a vocalist eliminates this problem and brings the music to the forefront, where it really shines. The lack of lyrics also, allows each listener to gather their own interpretations of the songs. Pelican impresses me most with their ability to take the listener places with their music alone.

If you are not a fan of post metal, or find the prospect of sitting through a ten minute song a bit boring, then pelican is probably not for you. But if you enjoy heavy music chock full of guitar riffs and have a bit of patience, then pelican is definately a band you'll want to be listening to. From the first crushing riff in NightEndDay, to the last cruscendo of the title track, pelican creates a unique sound and an album that certainly ranks among the top in the post metal genre.

chy_qn
    I've found them on yewtuwb, nice, heavy thing. Sometimes the rhythm gets blurred, that's what I don't like, but the sound and the atmosphere is nice.
    EpiExplorer
    To quote an album title: Its as heavy as a really heavy thing. In this instance, think of a blue whale or the continent of china on your face.
    jimmy10
    Yay! first review. it's got a few errors but i think it turned out well. australasia is definately one of my favorite albums
    Linkerman
    Dopey_Trout wrote: Love this album, love this band
    Me too. And not only this album; every single one of their songs is epic.
    manmanster
    rebofthetemple
    EpiExplorer wrote: In this instance, think of a blue whale or the continent of china on your face.
    Last I checked China happened to be a country in the continent of Asia. On topic however, this album is great, although I find As the Fire in our Throats Beckoned the Thaw to be a better release; March to the Ocean absolutely slays.
    emr_steelmech
    manmanster wrote: Pelican is a great band but they are hampered by their drummer. I don't know if they still have the same guy;but man does he have a crappy understanding of time.
    I often feel like the off-timeness is on purpose, just breaking a rule because they can, does anyone else think so?
    Deplorable
    Probably Pelican's best album (though it changes regularly for me), untitled is such a beautiful song.