Immersion review by Pendulum

• Released: May 24, 2010
Pendulum: Immersion

Festival-ravers Pendulum have always been a band that have divided opinion amongst music fans. They seem to have broken away from their 'Drum and Bass' roots throughout the last few years and have become experimental and somewhat genre-straddling. This album epitomises this change (any album which features collaborations with 'In Flames' and Liam Howlett from 'The Prodigy' is bound to be one which is slightly controversial), however they seem to have broadened their overall sound and seem more like stereotypical musicians on this record more than any other so far. The band is known for its innate attention to detail, with each song containing as many as 500 different instruments and melodies. This shows as 'Immersion' feels more polished and organised than their previous efforts, and showcases the band's producing and songwriting ability. One thing that cannot be doubted, though, is Pendulum's sound. When they play live, for example, they are accompanied by 50 computers, processing the bands vivid soundscape.

Rob Swire, the frontman of Pendulum, appears as though he struggles with lyric writing (there are often long pauses between syllables and a general feeling of choppiness), however upon closer inspection, the lyrics are often very deep and meaningful. This does not, unfortunately, show above the music and the lyrics come across as manufactured and unoriginal. Swire's voice, present on all of the fifteen tracks (albeit not always in the forefront) comes across as very versatile in this album and you get a definite feel that he means every word. Where it lets him down is the lyrics he seems to mean so much.

This album, all opinions of genre aside, is a technical masterpiece and deserves credit purely on that alone. It is also a stereotypical 'grower' and sounds better every time you hear it. It is probably the 'American Idiot' of Pendulum and shows how versatile the band is. Their metal roots can clearly be heard in songs such as 'Crush' and drum and bass roots clearly heard in songs such as 'Salt In The Wounds'. 'Witchcraft' and 'Crush', in particular, are real standout tracks. There does seem to be a few filler tracks on the CD, namely 'Comprachicos' and 'Under The Waves', however the majority of the tracks would sound at home blasting out of loudspeakers to thousands of people. This album is a very worthwhile addition to your collection and would be worth every penny.

SilverSpurs616
    Self Vs Self is exceptional, a suprisingly successful blending of drum+bass drumming with In Flame's take on death metal rhythm. Other than that, I can't be bothered with the rest of the album
    RokLobsta
    theFACEdude
    I love this album so much, its good for making time go faster at work. Salt In The Wounds and Set Me On Fire are where its at And they use 13 computers live, there are quite a few interviews with them where they talk about it taking them a year to figure out how to pull it all off live, and they got some mega purposely programmed computer made for them and I'm pretty sure they've got the 13 laptops hooked up to that thing.
    Enclose
    Self vs Self is by far the coolest song on this album. I love it. Metal and drum n bass B)
    Wall_of_sound
    boomtank wrote: Wall_of_sound wrote: Beelzboss wrote: wtf is it doing on rock/metal based community? Its a non genre based GUITAR community, and if you have a listen to the album it has plenty of guitar work on it, including acoustic...and they pull it off amazingly!! I love all 3 Pendulum albums, this one being my favourite....in my opinion they've gotten better with every album. Quite a refreshing change from the usual Lamb of God/Pantera/Tool that I usually listen to!!! Recommend it! If you like metal, start with the track Self vs Sel feat. In Flames How can you say that hyc is worse than in silico!? HYC is still my all-time fav dnb album an I listen to lots of drum n bass..
    Its just a matter of opinion...see I don't listen to any D&B apart from Pendulum, i'm much more of a rock/metal fan, In Silico is much more rock oriented than HYC so I guess thats why I like it better?! Don't get me wrong, I still love HYC, but Visions and The Tempest win In Silico over for me anyday over HYC
    evilbeavil
    boomtank
    napalm890
    evilbeavil wrote: RokLobsta wrote: I am a long time Pendulum fan and I thought Immersion was utter rubbish. It sounds too forced. Like American Idiot it has nothing overly memorable about it and isn't really a step forward for Pendulum. I just hope their next album isn't as pathetic as 21st Century Breakdown. Did this tool honestly just put Pendulum in the same boat as Green Day? Time for you to wake up and smell the roses. I wouldn't say this album is their best but it's definitely a solid release.
    It's not a good idea to call someone else a tool and then in the next sentence use one of the cheesiest cliches around.
    boomtank
    Salt in the wounds is the only dubstep-like track on the album, right? And crush is probably the most dnbsh
    dweb23
    I cant listen to this band on my iPod but loved them live ...
    Wall_of_sound
    Beelzboss wrote: wtf is it doing on rock/metal based community?
    Ultraturtle0
    Accompanied by FIFTY computers? The hell? Typo? Can I get a reference for that? Not a bad album (although no Hold Your Colour by a long shot).
    Brutalious
    I'm surprised at how many people dislike this album. Yeah, we all know they'll never live up to Hold Your Colour, but that doesn't mean that everything they come out with is gonna suck. I was absolutely hooked on Immersion for a couple months when it came out. I still listen to it now. Its a solid electronic album that leaves me satisfied and wanting more.
    LightxGrenade
    I liked Pendulum's last album, still have some of those songs on my running mix in my mp3 player. Definitely gunna check this out
    Shabalaba
    Great album, obvious progression from In Silico which was pretty awful for the main. Seen them live and they were amazing, highlight of Leeds 2010 for me. Love practically every song, reviews more or less spot on.
    SkepsisMetal
    Well I'm going to take a step away from all of you here and say it was a damn good album. Maybe more of an 8 than a 9, but the only songs that I felt let it down were The Island (I and II). Sounded a bit too much like club music that was put there to make the album longer. Saying that, it's a great album to just kick back and chill out to, if you have nothing else to do for just over an hour. Not as good as HYC but better than In Silico.
    FearOfTheDuck
    I saw Pendulum at Sonisphere. When the music hit you it was amazing and heavy. They did a song with the singer from In Flames too. I have no interest in listening to their music, but would definatly see it live again.
    EpiExplorer
    In reference to Yahtzee (mah idol) I keep hearing 'immersion' in a really bad South African accent.
    Hessian_Peel
    nicksword87 wrote: The only song I know is the fountain and thats only because of Steven Wilson.
    Which, other than Self Vs Self, is the only song worth listening to