About Time Review

Pennywise: About Time
Released: 1995
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival
While About Time doesn't necessarily break new musical ground, Pennywise shows subtle signs of growth while maintaining its hardcore influences.
 9.9
 9.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
About Time Reviewed by: refusedparty, on march 21, 2005

Sound: 1995's 'About Time' Pennywise's third album is, in my opinion, their first masterpiece. Every thing about it is great. Especially the sound, as this is the first Pennywise album to have the sound quality to do justice to the awesome songs. The volume is just right, the guitars roar and drums and vocals soar. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are the best Pennywise have ever written. Just check out songs like 'Waste Of Time': "Is there a heaven/a distant valley/a golden meadow waiting for us in the sky." The lyrics, like on all Pennywise's albums, are very deep and meaningful. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this could very nearly be my favourite Pennywise album. It has the classic songs, the lyrics and the sound quality to back it up. I'm not joking, this album is very nearly a punk rock masterpiece. Despite being 10 years old this year, a lot of the songs on this album remain in Pennywise's set list. And they have a lot of albums. Before you look at the track listing below, let me just say I don't give everything a perfect review, the many songs below that got 10/10 deserve it! The tracks are: 01. Peaceful Day - 10/10 one of my all time favourites. 02. Waste Of Time - 10/10 a masterpiece. 03. Perfect People - 10/10 helped me get through school. 04. Every Single Day - 10/10 the best song on the album. 05. Searching - 10/10 yet another punk masterpiece. 06. Not Faraway - 9/10 the first less than 10/10 track, but still extremely good! Bad Religion eat your heart out. 07. Freebase - 9/10 a very solid tune, would have been 10/10 if it were faster. 08. It's What You Do With It - 8/10 a very good, all-round song. 09. Try - 8/10 and another one. 10. Same Old Story - 10/10 usually played on the encore at shows, the perfect single with its great chorus and verses. 11. I Won't Have Yet - 8/10 another great song. 12. Killing Time - 8/10 not the strongest last track on a Pennywise album, but still a very good song. You might think I'm being generous with these marks, but if you listen to the album you'll realise I'm maybe being harsh! Not everyone will understand why I think this album is great (aka Metallica fans), but every punk rock fan in the world will agree with me. This is without a shadow of a doubt my personal favourite Pennywise album. In fact, next week I'm going out to the shops to buy the new remastered version to celebrate it. Two copies are better than one. // 10

Comments