Reason To Believe review by Pennywise

• Released: Mar 25, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Pennywise: Reason To Believe

Reason To Believe commences with a standard sort of intro; an amalgamation of uncertain, almost subliminally occurring voices, but they are there, and they establish a precedent of doubt, ever-present on this album. Surprisingly enough, the second track, One Reason, owes much of its rhythmic ideas to recondite territory for Pennywise: Metal. Despite this, Pennywise does not stray far from the known, sticking with the band's favoured NoFX and Bad Religion styled structures. Of course, this is not necessarily a negative factor in listening to this album, but after listening to preceding albums in Pennywise's repertoire, one struggles to comprehend whether there is any reason at all to purchase what is essentially an industrialised product: this is all the same. Naturally, this approach suits the purists, exemplifying the ability of Pennywise to stick to a tried and trusted formula. However, one must note that -- perhaps as a result of the band's decision to sign to Myspace Records-the band's aggression and live feel have been compromised; particularly on tracks such as Nothing to Lose, which has so much more potential than the recorded version.

Ironically, the band has departed from well-documented lyrical vituperation of the system, with Reason To Believe embarking on what is essentially a Cartesian soul-searching session for Lindberg and company. On what is effectively an attack on consumerism, Lindberg barks his animosity on tracks such as Nothing to Lose. However, as documented in the sound section, perhaps the recording methods of the band's new record label have compromised intensity for melody -- although this could be regarded as an ever-present criticism of any Pennywise album. The single provides what is arguably the lyrical highlight of the album, with Lindberg emulating Bad Religion, as he bellows, this is the face of our vanity, the tabloid death of humanity, a truly poetic line, exemplifying the more articulate side of Pennywise.

The decision to sign with Myspace Records may come back to bite Pennywise, but the fact that this album was given away as a free download via myspace is a welcome innovation in the music world, if not inspired by Radiohead's pioneering giveaway of In Rainbows. This is a solid effort from Pennywise, and should not be discounted until heard, with the album artwork perhaps being the boldest statement a band of this nature has made in a long time.

Jau_Peacecraft
    fmfualex
    i ****ing love this album! and i also love the fuse, and i have also got every album reviewed on this site,and SURPRISE SURPRISE, they are all good! as well, i don't think they have changed their music style much at all. Anybody who complains that they have is just being WAAAY too picky and needs to have a harder listen.
    christopherisbe
    Hey screw all you pennywise fans dissing pennywise I LOVE THIS ALBUM AND PRAISE THIS ALBUM A LOT JUST BECAUSE ITS NOT FAVORITE ALBUM FROM THEM DOESNT MEAN IT SUCKS HEY MY FAVORITE FROM THEM IS ABOUT TIME AND ITS NOWHERE NEAR LIKE REASON TO BELIEVE SOME PEOPLE THESE DAYS
    SoldierOfDeath
    I just got the album yesterday. Rite away i loved it! i listened to it over and over. I still like Land of The Free better. Either way i agree that its a good album and i disagree that it does not sound the same. Rite away i heard that they sounded alot heavyier. if you listen closely you can hear the difference no one song is alike. you dont even have to listen that closely to hear the differnce. PENNYWISE IS MY FAVORITE BAND IL STIK WITH THEM FOREEVER!
    ss311
    That is simply untrue. Many bands experiment from their inception until they break up, without compromising what is unique about their sound.
    disuse
    but seriously, I don't think you know what your talking about. There's a huge difference the Pennywise albums, Reason to Believe is definetly the best effort yet. I've got all they're albums and each one gets better. And every song does not sound the same. Clearly, you don't listen to much punk. The drums are almost always the same, but everything else is different. I could say the same about Oceans from As I Lay Dying....all the same....but I listen a little closer...you should do the same. By the way, Radiohead "PAY WHAT YOU WANT", Pennywise are the first to do it completely free. Half-hearted review from someone who expected a band who has they're style down, to give him something innovative...not going to happen. Unless you understand what the band is doing, I'd say any band over 10 years is redundant...because once they've found they're sound...they're sticking to it. They're was no compromise of intensity for melody.
    bbman715888
    Pennywise for life. I can definitely tell the difference from the last albums. I guess the caption was right. "However, this might just satisfy the purists within the Pennywise fan base."
    darkfire_storm
    Jau_Peacecraft wrote: Sounds exactly like the past 2 albums; they should've stopped right after From The Ashes. Pennywise sounds bored, and the band is kidding themselves to think that anyone is going to keep buying the same product over & over again.
    i guess it's a good thing no one had to pay for it then.
    pwninator123
    zac362 wrote: isnt pennywise the name of the clown off 'stephen kings IT'
    yepp Pennywise the dancing clown
    TheFallen1328
    Eh, It's not bad, but it's certainly not great. Definitely worth downloading though, since it's free.
    Alex101
    This is the best Pennywise album since Land of the Free. I've already downloaded the whole album about a week ago.
    lilscooter11
    It's still free tomorrow isn't it? I quite like it myself, but I guess I am a Pennywise fanboy, and a sucker for accessible punk.
    Idiot_Son
    if pennywise didn't sound the same, you'd all be calling them sell outs. from the ashes and reason to believe are great albums.