Beyond The Horizon review by People in Planes

• Released: Sep 9, 2008
People in Planes: Beyond The Horizon

People In Planes offer an alternative to pop punk clamors and dance rock grids. Their new CD, Beyond The Horizon has a copious amount of hard rock inflammable fuels producing abundant shares of voluminous crescendos buffered by softly winged melodic rock retreats. The band flexes it's melodic muscles with keyboard-moussed atmospherics fossilized by Ian Russell, and lunges rustling guitar riffs slabbed by Peter Roberts, all kettled in brusquely-ribbed rhythms managed by bassist Kris Blight and drummer John Maloney. The music portion is fabulously celled by these guys, but PIP's songs are more than just fine instrumentals. Lead singer, Garth Jones is equally fabulous with a vocal band that stretches out and constricts with perfect command over the breadth and movements of his registers. It's enough to totally base Jones' fame on his singing talent. The band's hard rock wax is wicked by Jones' vocal cuts which have a southern rock pitch in Last Man Standing, a rebellious punch in Vampire, a throaty clawing in Evil With You, and a soft melodic resonance through I Wish You'd Fall Apart. The hard rock decibels of Tonight The Sun Will Rise are backed by a series of long and short fuses that cause movements to advance and rescind systematically. The windmills of tingling effects and the faint drizzle of zapping cymbal strikes coursing through Evil With You' trace a '70s rock flint in the guitar burns, and the shimmery synth creases of I Wish You'd Fall Apart are cauterized by gently billowing rhythmic beats and soft flowering guitar cuts. The slow rises and elegant reclines of Know By Now weave soft curves and liquefied channels intercepted by meaningful bursts of energy. The melodic flow of the title track riles up and releases eloquently along the folds, and the battle worn acoustics of Flesh And Blood alternate between heavy and light showers beautifully. The ridges made by the guitar daggers along Mayday (M'aidez) shuffle the melodic deck between the moments of climax and those of lows. It's a fierce track with scenic atmospherics juxtaposed by rows of heavy guitar tones. It's the track that takes People In Planes to epic proportions and exciting new heights.

The lyrics are sometimes self-reflective like in Pretty Buildings when Jones implores, I don't wanna feel this low again / I ain't gonna steel your flame again / I don't wanna feel Cos you know it hurts like Hell / So come out of the closet / And let's talk about it / You know it hurts like Hell / That's you in a nutshell. The song Flesh And Blood is an odd one with verses that recite a shopping list of items that are undesirable, I don't need a speed date / I don't want a rebate / I don't want the dinner and I don't want the dirty plate / I don't want your money / I don't want you hinting / I don't really want you to know what I am thinking. And sometimes the lyrics sound like riddles for the listener to figure out like in Get On The Flaw when Jones announces, We're gung-ho for info / We're kids to the cola / And we'll take over / Get on the flaw / What you waiting for / This life hold more / So get on the flaw.

Though many of the riddles in the lyrics went over my head, the album is excellent at orchestrating various degrees of choppy guitar riffs and spearing synths that are pierced by stringent beats. People In Planes create energetic rock with fierce riptides and cooling lows. The songs stimulate the senses, varying from stacked ripples to light showers. Watermarked by a handful of producers including Our Lady Peace's frontman Raine Maida, Eleven (Queens Of The Stone Age), Matt Squire (Panic At The Disco), and Dan Austin (Doves, Massive Attack), Beyond The Horizon is an album that you should be hearing more of in the coming days. It has the potential to give PIP their meteorite rise to stardom.

BKGMorley
    Dallen_007 wrote: Equivalence wrote: "The multiple effects and experimental sections on Beyond The Horizon suggest that People In Planes might one day be a suitable successor to Radiohead." Pardon? They don't even come close... ahem, ONE DAY he didn't say now.
    They'll never be anywhere close
    kodiakkia
    Beyond the Horizon is my favorite album of the year. Even though every track is worth listening to, "Last Man Standing," "Better Than Life" and "Pretty Buildings" are the songs that I was hooked on from the second the cd started. The cool guitar rifts, melodies and solos, amazing bass lines & lyrics, distinctive and amazing percussion are many factors that draws the into this album. This band deserves to go far and I'll be rooting on sidelines when that day comes.
    brycey
    Yo! PIP are awesome! I love this album, Get on the Flaw, Vampire and flesh and blood are all cracker songs. I would have to say they remind me more of Supergrass or Blur than Radiohead but i do see where that comparison came from. Sweet tunes and sweeter lyrics, brilliant new band who deserve to go far in the music business Brycey's album rating: 4/5
    ashay1992
    Just love the new songs on this album, especially "Get on the flaw". Starting with instruments that sounds so traditional and melodic and moving on the the drums and then the electric guitars come in with gareth's voice. it all matches so perfectly. There's a different feel in every song and all of People in Planes's music seems different and original to other bands.
    mroshon
    I think this band is great, but at times irrirating. I think Garath's voice is too winey and too desperate to sound like a rock star. Yes he can sing, but not pleasant to the ears to listen to on and on. Thank god for the band members music to cover Garath's irrirating voice. The band is one of the best new bands to date, but sorry you have to be deaf, not to notice Garath's voice. Now that I have focused more on his voice, it at times, crimples the songs. I love the cd, my favorite songs are Vampire, Get on the Flaw, and Flesh and Blood. Great talent in guitar skills I have to admit and lyrics!
    mroshon
    I think this band is great, but at times irrirating. I think Garath's voice is too winey and too desperate to sound like a rock star. Yes he can sing, but not pleasant to the ears to listen to on and on. Thank god for rhe band members music to cover Garath's irrirating voice. The band is one of the best new bands to date, but sorry if have to be deaf and not to notice Garath's voice. Now that I have focused more on his voice, it at times crimples the songs. I love the cd, my favorite songs are Vampire, Get on the Flaw, and Flesh and Blood. Great talent in guitar skills I have to admit and lyrics!
    honeyglass
    I've read the above comments comparing People in Planes to Radiohead and Muse. What I find interesting is that I don't like Radiohead or Muse. I like artists that historically manage to be creative and still maintain a traditional rock structure (i.e. Zeppelin, Bowie, U2,Tool). My favorite bands can expand the boundaries of genre within a single song or on an album as a whole and yet maintain a sound that becomes identifiable as their own. That's what People In Planes has to offer. Some songs have atmospheric layered guitars and samples a plenty. Some songs are straight up power ballads. You get variety and creativity. As for the album cover... those styles go in cycles.
    WenisWeasel
    I love this band, I've been a follower since their EP's and eventual full-length debut's first release. I have to say though, this is very different, quite a ways different from their atomospheric accoustic numbers of the early days. I'm a bit skeptic on their new sound, as it took away alot of what I thought made them unique. I love Radiohead. I love MUSE even more. But PIP were different and that's why I liked them. Oh well, I'll buy the album anyways and see if I like it. Good to have them back!
    AudioFoo
    um it dosnt matter what the review says its not like PIP is saying their going for the Radiohead sound there doin great making their own,dont get me wrong i love Radiohead but right now "In Rainbows" vrs "Beyond The Horizon" PIP takes the cake.
    Shadowgorath
    To be honest, that's exactly what I was thinking when I read the review. Not saying the review is bad, just saying that's exaggerating. The lyrics, vocals, and instrumentations, in general just aren't "Radiohead-esque" (like Muse's early stuff ([primarily the second half of Showbiz]) or even "pseudo-Radiohead-esque" in anyway.
    Restlesscow
    Cant wait to get this album, last one was great. See them live to, its so cheap for such a great band (Last time it was only 6) =D Well worth it
    Dallen_007
    ahem, ONE DAY he didn't say now.
    Equivalence
    TenaciousLSD
    cd cover is too cliche not just decemberists but atreyu too... and way before both afi did black sails in the sunset
    boxcar_smasher
    ohh excitement! i really enjoyed their "as far as the eye can see" Album so i might have to check this out
    c-rob6422
    these songs are amazing. I saw them live last night and they rock! My favorites are Last Man Standing and Mayday (M'aidez) or however u spell it.