Icarus review by Periphery

• Released: Apr 19, 2011
Periphery: Icarus

The talented young djentlemen in Periphery continue to raise the standards of thier genre with thier short (but satisfying) offering, Icarus. Things get kicked off on all the right notes with New Groove, which is just that, Djent grooves of the highest callibur. The instrumental leads into Frak The Gods, another gem marked by insane synchopation, heroin induced drums, and all-out insanity. Even through all this, the song is still a melodic, masterful work. Now the E.P. does some re-hashing of older material. Jetpacks Was Yes! (V2.0) takes the song from their self titled album and adds some brilliant soloing, the likes of which will make any musician drop their jaw in jealousy. The single Icarus Lives! follows, and it's tweaked for the better again. The vocal production on this version is outstanding. The next three tracks are what may steer some fans away from the E.P. Three remixes of Icarus Lives! follow, all adding an industrial or dubstep-esque feel to the songs. The Bulbous mix relies on smooth, electronic feel backed by strings to hype the song, while the Zedd remix is more of a straight forward Dubstep rendition. The final remix, the Petey G remix, has a rolling Industrial bass throughout, making such a heavy song insanely dance-abe. Captain On! follows, starting with some amazingly melodic tapping, and segwaying into a soaring chorus only the way Periphery could accomplish. The E.P. ends with Eureka, a straight-forward blu-djent-ing of heavy riffs, insane guitar acrobatics, and maniacally flowing drums, before making an almost sudden melodic change. The diversity of sound on this E.P. makes for an extremely enjoyable listening experience, and there's almost certainly something for any music fan.

Vocally, Periphery have improved my miles. The vocalist no longer comes of as whiny or lacking passion in his delivery. Instead, the ferocity and melody captured in the music is projected to a whole new level by his voice. Don't believe me? Compare the old and new Icarus Lives! for undisputabe proof that his performance has improved significantly. I can't really rate the lyrical content, seeing that all of these songs have been available in some other Periphery medium before, but the excellence is still there.

Periphery are bounds above any other band in their genre, whether you classify them as Djent, Progressive Metalcore, or just plain Metal. The Icarus E.P. is a sonic treat, satisfying every longing I had for this release. If this E.P. were ever stolen from me, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Heck, I may just buy a second one anyway. For fans of: Meshuggah, Veil of Maya, Born of Osiris, Big Chocolate (referring to the remixes)

catastrofx617
    Not quite so harsh, but this
    guitarmazdur
    catastrofx617 wrote: Disturbed_EMG wrote: I loved this EP but those remixes are some of the worst shit I've ever heard.
    damn. beat me to it... "Hmm, I like 'Icarus Lives,' but I only like that one line 'hear temptation...'... HEY, what if I repeat that same exact line OVER AND OVER and add a stupid repetitive beat!!! DD" - the people that made the remixes
    opusthecat
    theluvshak wrote: Unbelievable guitar tones on this album. Makes me wanna lick glass
    Fractal Axe Fx! If I had $1,500 burning a hole in my pocket, I've have one too...
    Trinitron
    I think all of the songs are sweet, including the remixes. Zedd is a boss and so is PeteyG. Go Red Seas Fire!
    BlisteringDDj
    Vedicardi wrote: really? the remixes are dubstep? depressing.
    No, the remixes are more like some silly dance crap. Boring beats...
    ProgJazzMath
    Jvig43 wrote: This EP was not a 9.3 Im sorry. Remixes are shit, the other three songs are the same things as they were on the last album. Glad I didnt pay money for this.
    cool story bro
    shredder3386
    You do know what an EP is right?
    Andragon
    Spence really has a great voice (live as well), but there's something that I dislike about it. I wish they had gotten Textures' old singer instead.
    silly hats
    I thought that it was pretty lame, I loved their album but the production hasn't got thats ame spark. Spencer's vocals were even more annoying too...
    knownasceejay
    ProgJazzMath wrote: knownasceejay wrote: I don't think you understand what I mean. The whole song has obviously been redone (not in terms of composition), and the screaming is no longer in the song. What I am trying to get at is the fact that people are saying the solo is different from the original, when it really isn't. The only noticeable difference is the end with the divebomb. The big difference between the two solos, is how bulb plays them. They are the same solo, but in 2.0 it's got more feel to it and the tone is considerably better. And yes, the divebomb at the end. That's what makes it different than the original.
    knownasceejay : They act as if the solo is something totally new and different, compared to the original.. POSTED: 04/29/2011 - 04:36 pm / quote
    [Arran]
    If you listen the both versions of the solo in Jetpacks, v2.0 has a lot more phrashing and whatnot. The 'divebomb' isn't even a divebomb so whoever said that is wrong. There's a lot more vibrato in this solo!
    bfmvrock
    The only song i wasnt keen on was the petey g remix, that one kindof sucked.... the rest were brilliant!
    travislausch
    I think the only problem is the order. The remixes are not my thing either, but I'd have been fine with them if they were the closing tracks instead of bunging up the middle of the record like that. It just means I have to skip a few tracks to get to the rest of the good stuff.
    evro123
    Can't wait to get this EP! I wana hear Eureka! I have the original one (it's probably my favorite song by them) but I want to hear this one so bad! I have already planed to delete the remixes off of my computer hahaha
    knownasceejay
    ProgJazzMath wrote: knownasceejay wrote: Yes, I don't know why so many people are saying that it's different from the original... Because it was completely redone. It is the same song, yes, but they tweaked a few things, such as the way Bulb plays the solo and if you notice, Spencer doesn't really do much screaming at all in 2.0
    shredder3386
    guitarmazdur wrote: I love absolutely every single aspect of this album... EXCEPT the remixes.
    This + a million Periphery are quickly becoming one of my favourite bands, and this EP kicks ass, but who wants to listen to remixes of their songs? I listened to them once, then promptly tried my best to erase them from my memory.
    Todd Hart
    Personally, I quite liked the Bulbous and Zedd remixes. PeteyG was awful. The solo in Jetpacks is identical, apart from a slightly different tone and longer sustain on the final note. Overall, a brilliant album. The tapping in Captain On is great, and Frak the Gods is more energetic than a sugar-coated toddler.
    bigbabyjack
    Lion_Slicer : Weird... this sounds 63% orgasmic and 37% abysmal. Nothing turns me off nowadays like "dubstep," gross. BUT Periphery ****ing rule so I'll probably check this out for the 3 new songs and 2 revamps. Anyone think Periphery overuse exclamation points in their song titles? Yes... Because they are happy!
    knownasceejay
    Zao_89 wrote: Uhh, isn't the solo in Jetpacks 2.0 the same in the original? I'm pretty sure only the vocals during the bridge/last chorus were changed.
    Lion_Slicer
    Mr Winters
    I liked the original Icarus Lives! version. The remixes are an AWFUL piece of shit.
    Zao_89
    jordan pacitti
    There is just so much awesomeness packed into such a small space on this EP. I will be honest, i despise remixes but the Bulbous remix is just so damn catchy, cant stand the other ones. Captain On is definately the highlight of the album in my eyes. Cant wait for the next album!
    Disturbed_EMG
    I forgot to mention:
    TheAbsentOne wrote: Love everything about this. Captain On! is now my favorite Periphery song. I'm so glad I've seen them live.
    This. The tapping at the start was just... Oh my God.
    TheAbsentOne