Periphery review by Periphery

• Released: Apr 20, 2010
Periphery: Periphery

For fan's of melodic tech/death/prog/DJENT. The CD kills and it in my opinion could not be topped by any metal band on the scene right now. Going from crazy drop tuned riffs to ambient clean material with a little bit of electronics thrown in. All in all, the album blew my mind. (and was a cause for me to change pants) For fans of earlier Periphery with Casey Sabol (for he was there most popular vocalist), this album will not let you down. Bulb and the gang do not disappoint. The sound of the album is pretty good. It almost sounds as if it wasn't finished though in certain songs and parts. In my opinion the tone could have been a little more beefier but there is almost no room to complain. Either way it still sounds great. "Icarus Lives" which is probably the band's most popular track is still as sick, with the ultra groove in the beginning and "Totla Mad" which is one of my personal favorites sounds amazing as well. Other tracks don't disappoint either, as a whole the album rules. Track listing is: 01. Insomnia 02. The Walk 03. Letter Experiment 04. Jetpacks Was Yes 05. Light 06. All New Materials 07. Buttersnips 08. Icarus Lives 09. Totla Mad 10. Ow My Feelings 11. Zyglrox 12. Racecar (Icarus Lives has a nice surprise at the end)

The lyrics really seem to paint a picture and are pretty unique. My favorite verse from the album is: "These Walls of time release, my eyes move like the drift the cries, they resonate within, the fabric tears before me break ties between the kin." The lyrics seem to hold it's place with the moods of the album (which tends to varies from the switches from heavy to clean). The singer has SKILL. In all honesty, Casey Sabol fit this band better and he was my favorite vocalist they had. Spencer has great range but I feel his screams and lows could do a lot better and a band as heavy as Periphery, a stronger voice just fits them better. Either way, I like it.

In comparison to the bands putting stuff out right now, this is lightyears ahead of them. The sound is almost futuristic, and is very different. If you are a fan of Meshuggah you'll love it. If you are a fan of Sky Eats Airplane you'll love it. It holds a striking similarity to Animals as Leaders (Tosin Abasi), Bulb did produce Tosin's self-titled so maybe that could be why. The technicality and musicianship is definitely impressive and grinds all other bands to shreds. With the exception of Nickelback and BuckCherry of course. ;D The most impressive songs on this album would have to be Zyglrox and Totla Mad. They are so technical and groovy. (I use groovy alot, but you have no idea until you hear this album). The whole album is impressive so let's just leave it at that. I don't hate anything about this album. If this album were stolen, I'd EASILY buy a new one. At the drop of a hat honestly. But, it's amazing. Go buy this album! In stores now! Buy the deluxe edition so you can get the instrumental version with it. Trust me you'll love it! P.S. If Spencer reads this, I love you man. You are a GREAT vocalist.

radioeraser
    this album is amazing, every single member of periphery is incredible, I wouldn't be surprised if they become the next "big thing"
    Ibanezrocker800
    rob904 wrote: generic core garbage, although the individual musicians are talented
    in what way is this "core garbage"? that's probably the most ignorant statement i've seen on this site in a long time.
    NoaOno
    This is the best album I have ever listened to. I've listened to the most in metal, from thrash to death and djent, nu, especially math. And some rock. This album has everything. (Except for thrash heheh). I don't like Spencer's very much, but he did it really really well on the album so it's cool. Love this shit.
    travislausch
    They're talented people but I just can't stand their music. The Meshuggah references seem forced, the vocals sound like a prepubescent Chester Bennington, the production is tinny and the sound is just like that of any generic metalcore band. I did like "All New Materials" though, that was brilliantly different.
    Jsteele1408
    Majin Gaara wrote: Stupid song names...
    Yeah you're right, they should be things like "Bloodfist" or "Collapsing Olympus" :/
    kreem1016
    ThunderThor wrote: The recording may be good but these guys blow live, especially the singer.
    i just saw them in late november and they wee ridiculously good. i've seen vids of them where their stage presence sucked and where spencer sounded terrible, but when i saw them live, they were great. they all moved around and grooved with the the music, especially misha, and spencer had great command of the stage and sounded better than on the cd. his singing was almost totally spot on and his screams were way more brutal
    xpguardian
    Ascendancy332 wrote: Wow I cant believe they finally got an album out this is awesome! been following these guys for well over a year
    HA! a year?! try six, man. I've been following Bulb since he first put his stuff of up Soundclick. This albm is a long-awaited piece of epicness!
    cloud041089
    there are some really shit comments coming from UG. they're too "core"?? listen to their instrumentals. there is maybe the slightest hint of core after that, and what does it matter anyway? it's not like jamming to as i lay dying or asking alexandria. they easily fall into prog metal, or djent if you will. and to be honest, as much as i respect meshuggah, i never really enjoyed them. bands like periphery took their ideas and actually made interesting songs with them.
    lordcliffton
    adj209 wrote: Racecar is pure bliss
    Agreed. The day I got this cd I drove around listening to it & when I got to that song & heard Loomis soloing I pretty much listened to only that solo for about 10 minutes.. HAHAHAHA. EPIC album. 6 years was a helluva wait-but totally worth it!!!!!
    GarrettAbbey
    the instrumental demos are an easier listen for sure, but the vocals have grown on me. Totla Mad is the shit
    Zeppelin Addict
    probably the most underrated album of 2010. AMAZING stuff, incredibly talented band. cant wait to see what comes next!
    Ibanezrocker800
    CoreysMonster wrote: The problem is, these guys are pretty much the biggest Djent band out there, due to the huge influx of fanboys, and are, to my knowledge, one of the very few bands that are actually signed to a label. Most djent bands are do-it-themselves guys, and of course can't afford the same level of production quality as Periphery.
    Everything that periphery does is done by Misha himself, he does all the studio work in his own house.
    duncang
    Checked. It is inevitable that they will become a 'big thing', this stream of new fanboys mixed with old fanboys who've now got an inflated self-worth and everything. Album itself is very average.
    Deflection
    brutalwizard wrote: awesome album 3 guitars just going to town for some super harmonies. the screaming isnt the best but the singing is really good, i hate singing in metal. overall quality is good, and with there un-genre defined music the can pull of tours with so many diffrent kids of bands. and the reviewer who said "The technicality and musicianship is definitely impressive and grinds all other bands to shreds. With the exception of Nickelback and BuckCherry of course" both those bands are nowere near as tech, those to terrrible radios traschcans deserve to have allthere hands broken and vocal chords ripped out.
    He was being sarcastic you idiot.
    kamikaz1_k
    o also, i feel like some of the songs have been over produced since i first heard them, but im sure I'll get over it.
    kamikaz1_k
    I like race car best, mostly cause its the newest thing ive heard (well no i think the band intro at the end of icarus pwns but still) I felt a little dream theater in it, and only the good stuff. I think the song will last a long time with me. (had it on loop most of today morning)
    Jazzertron
    totally agree about the vocals. hopefully touring will add to the quality of his screams. i bet he'll blow us away on their next release.
    Jsteele1408
    The album is amazing, plain and simple. The only problem is, I've been listening to the instrumentals for so long that the CD doesn't feel that "new" to me, and I'm already craving more. I've been listening to these guys for years, and I always preferred the instrumental tracks to the ones with vocals. But as far as vocalists go, I like Spencer quite a bit more than the others. And to whoever said they suck live... you must be trolling. They're amazing live, and have a PERFECT live mix.
    §ynysterSte
    travislausch
    ynysterSte wrote: once these guys become popular i can see alot of 'generic haters' which think that they're based around breakdowns now. Fucking try to play one of there songs off this album. Alot of effort came from this talented band, state your opinion if you want but i think they deserve the support and alot more fans
    Talent is not the issue. I'm a "hater", and even I appreciate how talented these guys are. Effort, definitely. They worked their asses off, got noticed, and now they're making music for the masses. And yeah, I'll admit I'm not a skilled enough guitarist in this genre to successfully pull off most of their songs. However, none of this makes them objectively good. It's still subject to taste, and my tastes tell me I don't like this because it seems to me to be too much of a third-rate Meshuggah ripoff with generic -core vocals and predictable, and even dare I say, dull guitar riffs. However, as that is subjective, others may think these people are musical messiahs or something. That, too, is their right. Just as long as they don't try to change my mind.
    Powerageman
    End of Icarus Lives track, there's a saying that is said that you have to live by: "Periphery! Love that shit!"
    Progis8strings
    This album is fantastic and these guys know how to ship a pre-order. I got my copy in the mail and it came with the instrumental disk (amazing for playing along to) and a poster signed by the whole band. Bravo sirs.
    Deflection
    It's finally out! Been waiting for this ablum for about a year now. All hail Periphery, new gods of metal.
    metalcoremax87
    yeah its a great album... i think spencer sounds better on some of the songs and casey would be better on others... for example, Spencers range really helped out LIght alot. Whereas i think songs like The Walk would have been better with Casey... Casey definatly has better screams... so im torn over vocalists
    metalcoremax87
    but you know what, people are always gonna have something to complain about, so whatever... still a solid album tho
    DanS29
    I've been following these guys since the beginning. I don't really like the new vocalist, but everything else is amazing. It's refreshing to hear something new.
    PabloGilberto
    It's the same affair for both main vocalists for me - I didn't dig Casey until a few listens as with Spencer much the same. All and all - a ****ing monstrous album.
    Disturbdkornkid
    I heard the album and wasn't very impressed. I liked the instruments but the vocalist ruined it for me. The most enjoyable part of the album for me was the surprise at the end of Icarus Lives, but that's just me.
    DanS29
    The instrumental album is far superior than the one with vocals.
    Sean Duffy
    God my copy today, amazing album, the whole thing is perfection. And to think this was all mixed and mastered in Bulb's house just blows my mind.
    Trivium!
    I've been listening to these guys for a couple of years and I'm so excited they finally came out with their first CD on a label. I miss Casey's vocals but Spencer's are growing on me. This is the best debut album from a band i've heard in a long time by far. Everyone should check it out, you won't regret it.
    ckyman
    As I stated before, this album is great. I first heard them like a year ago, or a bit more and what I heard was Frak The God's from youtube I think. Anyway, I think they do their job perfectly, the instruments fit in each other and "djent", well it can be heard all the time Tho, I do too prefer the instrumental tracks more than ones with vocals.
    CoreysMonster
    C O B H C Alright, obviously taste is entirely subjective and I can respect the fact that you may not particularly enjoy this album, but if you classify it as a 'very average' release then you're probably ****ing deaf.
    actually, the singing is VERY -core, and with the huge influx of much better Djent bands, Periphery have become suprisingly average. Not that I don't like them, just trying to explain where Duncang could be coming from. Periphery also hugely lacks the groove that many other Djent bands have, and let's face it, those vocals are the same whiny/screamy singing that every metalcore band has, nothing special, really. The problem is, these guys are pretty much the biggest Djent band out there, due to the huge influx of fanboys, and are, to my knowledge, one of the very few bands that are actually signed to a label. Most djent bands are do-it-themselves guys, and of course can't afford the same level of production quality as Periphery. For some reason, all of these Djent bands have very -core sounding vocalists, TesseracT have the same problem, which IMO is very surprising, since Meshuggah have a vocal style which couldn't be further away from -core.
    drawnacrol
    Picked this album up their a few days ago and digging it so far, The intro to Zyglrox is insane and Icarus Lives is so catchy, I like the vocals at some points but not at others, can't wait to hear how 3 guitars sound live
    EpiExplorer
    The problem is, these guys are pretty much the biggest Djent band out there
    And then you mention Meshuggah... lulz