Periphery review by Periphery

• Released: Apr 20, 2010
Periphery: Periphery

I'm new to this whole style of music known as 'Djent', I heard about Periphery from a friend who saw them on tour with Dream Theater. Since I got the album its been on repeat, the raw power that comes from the music is mind blowing, the technical abilities of the musicians is unbelievable.

Spencer Sotelo is the vocalist of Periphery, he has the voice of an angel and can still pull of screams better than most I've ever heard. He is describes on the album as having a "voice goes up like an angel... And down like a wounded ox..." The lyrics keep you drawn in if the instrumentals aren't good enough for you!

In my opinion Periphery is one of the best albums I own at the minute, Its been a while since I've been able to have a CD on repeat. From start to finish every song keeps you wondering what will happen next. I love how technical and how precise the guitar playing is and how awesome the drums sound. The whole album is just amazing, I'm struggling to find anything wrong with it at the moment.

vppark2
    I loved this album on the very first listen back when I first heard about them...but now, not so much. I think its bc I love the new direction they got going so much, and Spencer's vocals on the new album are SO much better. This seems so much more pitchy.
    vppark2
    Also, seems forced. Even the screams seem off.
    TheInserter
    I have to agree with you, the newer vocals are of better production and Spencer's vocals have improved significantly nonetheless. But also keep in consideration that P1's vocals are written originally by Chris Barretto and Casey Sabol, and Spencer had to basically adapt to their work and make it his own. Plus it's their first album, so I don't complain ;D
    nuoIV
    They're no BTBAM, but pretty good nonetheless. Think you guys took the "generic" comment a bit out of context. I suppose being generic in a talented genre is better than being generic in a shit genre *cough deathcore* amiright?
    napalm890
    Ah... I was wondering why this band was referred to as being "melodic" when their guitar is anything but... They are referring to the auto tuned vocals... it makes sense now...