Periphery II: This Time It's Personal review by Periphery

• Released: Jul 3, 2012
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Periphery: Periphery II: This Time It's Personal

Trends, trends come, and then pass away. In metal, we had glam metal, nu metal, metalcore, deathcore, and more recently, as you would call it "djent" or "progressive metal" if you prefer. Periphery, is one of these main "djent" bands, other would be starter of genre, Meshuggah, who in my opinion, "djent" far better than Periphery. The production is good, as you would expect this from Periphery. Now, if you are fanboy, close your eyes, hide in a closet, or just sit down and watch how I destroy your worldview. Songs to me sound like pop meets metal, and in metal there is no place for this. Guitars have bit of technicality, but really, this all has been done previously, and is done far better in realm of technical death metal like Origin and Necrophagist. Drums are decent, your standard djent drums. Here comes my most hated part - the vocals, totally generic, pop clean vocals (Good that at least no pitch correction seems to be used here), and harsh vocals, which I wont even call growls, are plain metalcore awful harsh vocals, real growls are done like Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, if you want to go more extreme, and Demilich if you want something utterly horrifying and mind destroying. Harsh vocals are basically attempts to growl, no high rasps, so this is minus for me since I like high and low harsh vocals, cleans are sometimes good addition, but not when they are done like its pop. But what would you expect from a band which wants to appeal to wide audience even outside of metalheads. The bit I like in this album, and this really stands out are synth melodies, which stand out and add to album atmosphere. Overall, sound is djent (which I don't really enjoy) plus cool synth melodies ruined by whiny clean vocals.

About lyrics, well, lyrics are actually good, sometimes even poetic, so it is nothing I would complain about. Song titles are not generic, but I'd rather prefer generic titles than generic vocals. The singer clean voice manages to hit all notes without autotune, but, too bad for me, his clean voice is whiny and sounds like pop. Harsh vocals are standard metalcore vocals. Hell, I would even prefer Suicide Silence than this in terms of vocals (I don't like deathcore either, but I don't hate is as much as most of "djent"). Overall, lyrics good, clean vocals passable, and harsh vocals a bad attempt to be cool and brutal.

I did not yet listen to anything other made by Periphery, and I highly doubt I ever will. This does not compare to Meshuggah, which are monotonic after few songs, but still maintains metalness through whole album, based on this album, Periphery seems to be less monotonic than Meshuggah, but also less aggressive and "metal". Only song that I remember is "Make Total Destroy" which had very aggressive chugging (But its still plain chugging, so its a big letdown), aside from the single song, synth melodies are really good, production is good, instruments are decent, manage to be aggressive at times, but too midpaced. To answer all your questions I just created by making this review, why I don't like this album, this is why. My favorite genre is death metal, and my view of metal is that no matter what genre, it should be heavy, aggressive, and speak about overall, problems of the world (death, war, social problems, politics etc.). And before you say I'm a hater, no I'm not a hater, I tried to be very open minded and unbiased while writing this, my review is totally honest, it is my opinion, and I can have MY opinion, you can have YOUR opinion. Overall, this album deserves a 6, because, it is not I really can call true metal, my ears hurt after listening to this, even sometimes technically proficient lines don't do. After this review, I'm going to plug in and relax with Carcass: "Necroticism Descanting The Insalubrious" and forget about this semi-decent trendy album.

courageous93
    The fact that DarkWolfXV used the phrase "true metal" as part of his review makes it remarkably difficult to take seriously.
    travislausch
    Newest review is written by a closed-minded metalhead. Just because you like Carcass and not Djent doesn't mean you can write a "professional" review. Carcass and Periphery don't even compare. Don't even try. And what the **** are "pop" vocals? Since when does someone decide who sings "pop-like" and who doesn't? One of Aqua's vocalists, the male one, could probably out-gruff some of rock music's hardest hitters, while Anneke Van Giesbergen has a sultry "pop" voice that fits well in Devin Townsend's recent material. Mad props to Sponce for singing without resorting to pitch correcting. The guy obviously sings better than most of us here. Tl;dr, we get it. You don't like metalcore. You like "generic" death metal like Carcass and Cannibal Corpse. Go listen to some of that and leave this stuff to us people who do enjoy it.
    spoonerismz13
    DarkWolfXV wrote: Its just my opinion, go plug in Periphery if you love it so much and cant stand death metal.
    I love Periphery and I love Cannibal Corpse. I can enjoy both bands without caring if their vocals are whiny or their growls are generic. I respect your opinion on the album, but me and many others feel that when it came to the guitars and vocals you definitely came across as biased and because it wasn't death metal it was utter garbage. As soon as you used the word "real" you lost all credit.
    aildjacksback
    i enjoyed the album. i dont see why people are like "omg it sounds like pop" even if it does, does that make it bad? no.. people are so narrow minded when it comes to music. when you can learn to apreciate other genres of music you can fully admire it to its fullest potential.
    The Spoon
    I just read over DarkWolfXV's review too. You know,I couldn't care less that it was given a low score. That's fine, like who the **** cares about that, seriously. What was bad about the review was the horrible logic and the air of snobbishness that the review reeked of. I could understand the critiques of the screams if you were talking about the first album...but how can you listen to songs like Make Total Destroy and not think Spencer doesn't sound absolutely pissed off.
    travislausch
    DarkWolfXV wrote: Its because it brings pop into metal.
    1. How? What makes it "pop"? And don't give me the "he sings cleanly sometimes with a particular whine to his voice" bullshit excuse. There are plenty of vocal styles over plenty of different genres. Spencer Sotelo is no more "pop" than Mikael Akerfeldt. 2. What exactly is the harm in bringing different influences? Let's say they really are trying to make "pop metal". Are you that much of an elitist or purist that you can't stand fusion genres? God forbid someone has influences beyond one genre of music!
    Anchr
    DarkWolfXV wrote: No, if it was utter garbage i would rate it 1. Its not because its not death metal. Its because it brings pop into metal. I did review because i felt like it, and i dont feel that 10/10 reviews were honest. Just respect my opinion, like i said in review, its my opinion, i know you might see this album as total masterpiece, just know that no matter how good you think it is, there will be always people who will come and say its not.
    Although there is no problem whatsoever with what you wrote in this post, it's your complete lack of cohesive arguments and appearance of total bias that makes your review bad. And like the posts before said: that bit of credit you had left after such a biased review went completely out the window after the "real" metal part. In no way are we trying to tell you that your opinion is wrong or that you aren't allowed to tell us it, but your argumentation is just too laughable to take serious =S
    The Spoon
    After giving this album a few more spins, I've decided that I really enjoy a lot of it.
    Abacus11
    DarkWolfXV's review is pretty bad. It's very obvious that he doesn't know much about the style of music he's reviewing. I'm not into djent myself but it sounds like he just heard of it literally right before he wrote this review. Also... calling progressive metal a "trend"?!?!
    travislausch
    Why do you think I can't enjoy both?
    Fendergod666
    I'll be okay as long as everyone just stops calling them metal. Honestly, this is one of the worst bands I've ever heard. How can anyone think wanking the guitar requires any skill at all? The vocalist sounds like he is from a 90's boy band. I almost listened to both albums and all I can say is that this puts Meshuggah and Gojira to shame. Also, before the fan boys get their panties in a knot, I'm not a biased music fan. My music interests go from Bach - Deicide.
    travislausch
    I personally like this one better than their first one. Their first is great, but it seems like they've really busted out the cooler musical ideas on this one (like the "rhythm solo" in "Ji" and the motif repeated in a few tracks).
    tice
    sorry but its not good gwar and ramastien are much better you sound like the jerk who sings and yells one being numb wish ya luck
    Domino76
    I feel like all this hate is from people who listen to heavy stuff like Cannibal or Meshuggah or W. Chapel, etc. And that is why I think the clean vocals are getting a lot of hate. BUT, I think this music is directed towards Dream Theater fans. So if you think the vocals are weak, it's because Periphery doesn't want the most death-like brutal vocals they can find.
    DarkWolfXV
    Hah i knew ther will be a lot of hate. Im calling djent a trend, thats barley progressive metal. Not, not only death metal is true to me, thrash metal, grindcore, doom metal, black metal, that depends on a band, though.