Periphery II: This Time It's Personal review by Periphery

• Released: Jul 3, 2012
Periphery: Periphery II: This Time It's Personal

Might as well start off with this: I'd never heard a note of Periphery before I bought this album yesterday. I knew that they were billed as leaders in the "djent" movement, and that their first album blew the f--k up. Oh yeah, and apparently people hate the vocalist, Spencer Sotelo. Other than that, I'm going on just this album for a referendum on the sound of Periphery. Basically, they're a progressive metal band, with elements of groove metal, post-hardcore, and electronica. I refuse to call them "djent" mainly because I think the word is f--king stupid and sounds like something a fifth grader would say. I prefer to call Periphery "clusterf--k" metal, as in there's so much going on in each song, it sometimes comes across as one big clusterf--k. I've heard Periphery compared to Protest The Hero, albeit heavier, and I think that's accurate. Both bands use multiple tempo shifts, multiple riff patterns, and singers with dramatic vocal styles. A lot of the songs are very metallic in tone, and yes, they do sometimes sound like a Meshuggah ripoff. However, they do incorporate atmosphere into several songs, be it the strings on "Have A Blast", or the blips on "Muramasa" and "Epoch". Periphery's mastermind, guitarist/producer Misha "Bulb" Mansoor used to produce solo music under the name "Bulb", and he has brought the sometimes more electronic elements of Bulb into Periphery. These guys can write decent riffs, and their drummer is pretty talented. Of course, the bass is almost entirely inaudible. Basically, prog-metal with post-hardcore and electronic elements. By the way, guitar greats Guthrie Govan and John Petrucci contribute guest solos to "Periphery II", as does The Faceless guitarist Wes Hauch.

A lot of the hate directed at Periphery seems to center around vocalist Spencer "Spence" Sotelo. People either complain about his clean vocals, or say that his harsh vocals are too thin. For the record, I like his harsh vocals. Unlike most singers in bands with post-hardcore/metalcore influences, he roars instead of screaming mindlessly, and that makes the lyrics more decipherable. His cleans do get annoying at times, but dude does have range. With most prog-influenced bands, you would expect fantasy-based or sci-fi lyrics, but with Periphery, you get more realism lyrics. The lyrics on "Periphery II" seem to often revolve around politics or religion, although the song "Mile Zero" is about the death of a loved one. The songs "Muramasa", "Ragnarok", and "Masamune" are named after swords in the "Final Fantasy" gaming series, but there seems to be no clear sci-fi or fantasy lyrics here.

Overall, this record is decent. The riffs are sometimes genius, other times derivative of Meshuggah. The vocals soar to the heavens or crash to the depths of hell depending on the intensity of the song. The drums are decent, but the bass is barely there. The electronic elements add to some songs, while subtract from others. "Periphery II" is a decent record.

Karaethon
    I sometimes think that everyone calling this band "pop crap" haven't listened to the first half of Ragnarok or the last half of Masamune. Hell, I don't think they even listened to most of the album. Why can't people just like music for what it is, instead of pulling it all apart and looking for tiny flaws or inconsistencies? Why does it always have to end up in a flame war? And why, if you don't like it, ARE YOU EVEN HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE?! I don't care if you don't like it, and neither do the band. They've said as much themselves, that they're making music for themselves and not to please others. And they do right in doing that. It's okay for you to not like a band or whatever, but you don't have to cram it down people's throats, because your opinion is NOT a fact. I just wish that people could just take it as it is and enjoy it, and if you don't enjoy it then leave it alone. Why is that so hard?
    Miyagi84
    This is a sick album... before I heard this album, I didn't think it was possible to blend electronic music with Metal, or at least make it sound great. This album is the one to do it. Great vocals, great guitars, great drumming. Keyboards are great and not overpowering. Absolutely great album.
    Angelicc
    After listening to this album on YouTube, well most of it before I shut it off, I was bored and waiting for a good song like Letter Experiment to come... it never did. This album was boring and I personally didn't like any of Spencer's singing at all. Nothing blew me away like their first album... oh well.
    risingson05
    When I first heard the intro to Have a Blast I immediately thought back to Virtua Fighter.